2nd Trimester

Has anyone had dental work done?

I was supposed to get a cavity filled but OB and Dentist both requested it to be done in the second tri.  So, here I am and I'm still apprehensive about it.  It is just one cavity and they have to also fix some bonding that broke, but I just don't like the fact of getting novocaine.  Has anyone been in this situation?  

Re: Has anyone had dental work done?

• I go to an orthodontist montly and no bimonthly, but I haven't had any fillings or anesthetic.  I have never had novocane though and have always just had local anesthetic.  I think the local anesthetic is fine.
  • imagesynchrosally:
    I go to an orthodontist montly and no bimonthly, but I haven't had any fillings or anesthetic.  I have never had novocane though and have always just had local anesthetic.  I think the local anesthetic is fine.
    Novacaine IS a local anesthetic. I would get the filling done, because you don't want to risk an infection.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers www.foreverfactor.blogspot.com
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a filling done the day I got my BFP.  The dentist said it was fine and my ultrasounds have looked good so far.  Although I didn't have an OB to ask at that point in my pregnancy so I don't know what her recommendation would have been.  I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Any anesthetic is safe except for Carbocaine.  You should be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The modern numbing agent is Lidocaine, not novocane. I'm not sure that is widely used anymore. Anyway, Lidocaine is safe--I think it's class B. But ask your dentist what they will be using on you and do some research. You need to be comfortable with your decision.
  • I have multiple cavities to fill... My OB said after first tri was fine, but my dentist is married to an OB and won't do anything until I am no longer pregnant.

• yep. No biggie
  • I had one cavity filled before I knew I was pregnant and then had two broken teeth fixed and another cavity filled once I was in my 2nd Trimester. OB said it was better to have them fixed and dealt with because of the possible risk of infection was worse than the novacaine.?

Just make sure the dentist knows that you are pregnant when you make the appointment. ?

• I had a small cavity when pg DD, and the OB had me wait until after she was born.  I was pretty far along, though, 3rd tri I believe, and it was quite small.

• I haven't had dental work done but had a cleaning at the very end of my first tri (2 days before officially 2nd tri). I had a very small cavity - I didn't even know it was there. My dentist said I could come in and have it taken care of during the 2nd tri no problem (my OB agreed) but both also said since it was so small and wasn't bothering me at all I could also wait if I preferred, just for my own comfort/peace of mind and not because there was any medical reason to wait. I think you're fine and I wouldn't worry.

Interestingly, they pointed out you should NOT get a cleaning in your 3rd tri.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecookieinva:

Interestingly, they pointed out you should NOT get a cleaning in your 3rd tri.

My dentist told me this as well....but he said its only because they don't want pregnant ladies that far along to lay on their back for that long.

• I woke up on New Year's Eve with a huge bump in my gum.  It turned out to be an infection from a cavity that was filled years ago, but not properly capped.  I had to have it drained and they used a very little bit of local anesthetic.  I was reassured that it was perfectly safe and a local only goes where you put it.  I also had to go on antibiotics, which I was really nervous about but my OB said it was safe and better than risking an infection.  My dentist said if we had to do anything else now, we would do it in the third trimester, if not we will wait.

Good Luck - I understand your apprehension.  I am sure your doctors will steer you in the right direction.

• When my mom was pregnant with me she went to get a cleaning done and she kept passing out so they stopped and waited until after she had me.  It had something to do with her being on her back like that.  I think she was pretty far along.

To answer your question though....I had to have a root canal done in my first tri.  I was in so much pain there is no way I could have waited until after my baby is born. My O.B. okayed it and they used a numbing agent that is used on patients with heart problems. 

Cole Alexander 6.9.10
  • I went to the dentist yesterday and I found out I have two cavaties that have to be taken care of asap.  My OBGYN said that it was fine through the 2nd trimester.  My dentist and most of the women in her office said that they would have the teeth taken care of instead of waiting and risking an infection of having to have a root canal after the baby is born. 
  • I had a root canal done at the beginning of the 2nd tri and then today i had a crown put on. the only issue is that you cant take much in the way of pain meds afterwards if you need to. i spoke to my OB about it and she said that it was perfectly fine. tylenol after though. GL
  • Lidocaine is only a topical numbing agent.  At my dental office, where I work, we use septocaine.  It's a pedo office, so I don't know about the effects with pregnancy, but I would just ask your dentist what he/she uses and then talk to your OB.  Between the 3 of you, you will make the right/informed decision.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageBeebee09:
    I was supposed to get a cavity filled but OB and Dentist both requested it to be done in the second tri.  So, here I am and I'm still apprehensive about it.  It is just one cavity and they have to also fix some bonding that broke, but I just don't like the fact of getting novocaine.  Has anyone been in this situation?  

I Had a filling break right after Thanksgiving and had it fixed with local anesthesia, it was fine. No issues

Had a dental cleaning 2 wk ago, no Xrays, also fine. 

• Thanks ladies, it makes me feel better.  I'm going to discuss more with my doctor the exact numbing medicines recommended.  My dentist also wants faxed permission from my OB, so hopefully it will put my mind at ease.

Gr...sensitive teeth :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"