Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I post this on 3rd Trimester but it should be here as well.

Is anyone not using any pacifiers with their little one?I am wondering what is the benefits of not using  one  and what  the benefits of using one is  ? 

Re: I post this on 3rd Trimester but it should be here as well.

• We are.

Pro: more sleep at night, he's happier if he starts fussing.

Con: keeping it in his mouth (it drops to the ground a lot so it has to be washed, and if it falls out while he's sleeping and he realizes it he screams).

DH and I didn't want to use one at all, but after two straight nights of zero sleep, we got one. The NUK ones are the best, I think.

Oh, and they're supposed to help reduce the risk of SIDS, because it prevents him from breathing out of his mouth, and rebreathing the same air.

• I actually just read about this in my "what to expect the first year" book and it was saying how pacifiers are bad because they infringe on the baby's sleep.  I gave my LO a pacifier and he would wake up every time it fell out of his mouth, meaning he wasn't sleeping and neither was I.  After reading the section about pacifiers in the book I decided to stop using them completely (we went cold turkey).  It has been a little rough these past couple of days since taking them away, but I have to say that my LO is sleeping better and longer since removing the pacifiers.
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby won't really take a pacifier, which I'm almost glad for. You'll probably just have to cross that bridge when you get there!
  • We are using Soothies. We actually started using them at birth, even though I am EBF.

Here's a site with info on SIDS.

6. Consider offering a pacifier at nap time and bedtime: Although the mechanism is not known, the reduced risk of SIDS associated with pacifier use during sleep is compelling, and the evidence that pacifier use inhibits breastfeeding or causes later dental complications is not. Until evidence dictates otherwise, the task force recommends use of a pacifier throughout the first year of life according to the following procedures:

? The pacifier should be used when placing the infant down for sleep and not be reinserted once the infant falls asleep. If the infant refuses the pacifier, he or she should not be forced to take it.

? Pacifiers should not be coated in any sweet solution.

? Pacifiers should be cleaned often and replaced regularly.

? For breastfed infants, delay pacifier introduction until 1 month of age to ensure that breastfeeding is firmly established.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not using one because my DS won't take it.  I'd love for him to use a pacifier, but he just spits them out.
  • DD took one for a total of 15 minutes since she was born.  She won't even consider it now, she screams as soon as I try to put it in her mouth.  As much as Dr. Sears said it's a soothing mechanism, she does just fine soothing with other options.  Plus my SIL has a 6 month old and she still has to get up 5 times a night to put the pacifier back in her DS's mouth because he's screams when it falls out.  I have a two month old who sleeps 7.5-9 hours straight, so I def won't be pushing a paci from this point forward.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't use one. There really isn't any need unless you're formula feeding or have a really fussy baby. I'd rather be used as a pacifier than give her an artificial one. It's rare, but it has been linked to speech problems if the child becomes attached to it when learning words.  They're also associated with ear infection risk. I just generally worry too much so I avoid them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"