Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When did everyone start feeling normal again after L&D

Im being induced Friday, so lots of thought going through my mind right now. I understand everyone is different, just wanted to see if  there was a general time most started feeling "recovered" after labor. I'm set on buying the aftercare stuff I may need, but any tips on a speedy recovery would be great!

*So excited to be joining you all soon!*

Re: When did everyone start feeling normal again after L&D

• I was not prepared for my arms to hurt.  My biceps killed for a few days from holding my legs for pushing. That was probably the thing that hurt the longest. I was up and moving just fine in an hour. I still am sore when I squat (putting LO in her bouncer/swing), but otherwise, I was my normal self within hours.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I felt fairly good after just a few hours. The stitches made it very dicey to sit down for over a week. I stopped bleeding by 2 weeks- so I wouldn't go overboard on the mega pads. You can always buy more, right?

The stool softeners are still my friends- not quite 100% that way, but otherwise I'm feeling great :) I'm hoping to ask my midwife at DS's four week appointment if we can get back to sexytime. I'm feeling pretty good! :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Even though I was sore, I was still up and walking in a few hours, it wasn't so bad. The thing I did NOT expect was how much bleeding you do afterward. I've always hated pads, but I loved those maternity diapers, it was the only thing that would prevent me bleeding on everything! Buy as many overnight pads as you can now, because its been a month, and I still have to wear one every day all day, and change it every couple of hours.

And don't believe what people say about not wanting sex, because the day I had my baby I was trying to claw DH's pants off! We couldn't do anything obviously, but trust me, being PP doesn't change anything!

• I think what helped the most was sleep.  Sleep when you baby does and it really helps get through everything.  I still feel a little sore, but as the previous person mentioned it's only when i squat. Also don't pick up anything heavy.  I did once and noticed that i was incredibly sore later on.  Little by little you will feel better, it doesn't happen all at once.  Again rest as much as possible.
  • I felt 100% by three weeks. 

ETA:  Sorry, I read it wrong...I was feeling ok a few hours after delivery (with meds) and I was really feeling much better on day two when we went home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBethbsn06:
    I was not prepared for my arms to hurt.  My biceps killed for a few days from holding my legs for pushing. That was probably the thing that hurt the longest. I was up and moving just fine in an hour. I still am sore when I squat (putting LO in her bouncer/swing), but otherwise, I was my normal self within hours.
    this. My back was also super sore from pushing for a few weeks and My skin wad irratated from all the tape the put on my back for the epidural for a while.
  • I didn't get to have a vaginal birth, I had a c-section. But just in case you end up having one, the worst part for me was the anesthia. I had the shakes REALLY bad! But after like 2 hours, that finally went away!

I'm from Jacksonville too! Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly!! Where are you delivering?

• I'm envious of those who feel normal after just a few hours!  I'm still waiting.

Obviously it's different for everyone and there are a lot of different factors.  Recovery has been a big challenge for me.  My delivery experience was surprisingly quick and relatively easy (5 hours from the time we got to the hospital until delivery, 1 1/2 hours of pushing, little pain), so I was not prepared for the agony of recovery.  My baby was bigger than expected (8 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long), so that had a lot to do with it.  I got a bunch of stitches and really bad hemmies. I tried to get out of bed a few hours after delivery and fainted twice.  So I was forced to stay in bed for a full day.  And getting in and out of bed for days after that was very difficult.  Thank god for the help of DH and the nurses at the hospital.

Every day gets better.  But it's still uncomfortable to sit or stand for long periods, and I have to walk slowly.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

• It wont be while I'm still on this board, or probably 3-6 either.
  • Ya, my arms hurt too and it was from grabbing the bed and pulling myself up on my side, and from holding my legs.  (which I didn't realize) 

I am 11 days out and things still hurt, but it's getting better. The stiches are a bit itchy and sitting is still a little blah, but I can function.  I was up walking within a few hours as well.

I didn't bleed all that bad and 11 days PP and I am only lightly bleeding. I bought these huge mega pads and didn't need them.  I used the hospital diapers and those helped but after 2 days  I didn't need them and downgraded to the other size.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm almost 2 weeks PP and I feel great, my bleeding has stopped, no pain or swelling down there, no cramps, I'm good :) I also didn't have to have stiches, so that could be why. I didn't expect to feel this good, this soon!
  • imageilovemyprince:
    I'm almost 2 weeks PP and I feel great, my bleeding has stopped, no pain or swelling down there, no cramps, I'm good :) I also didn't have to have stiches, so that could be why. I didn't expect to feel this good, this soon!

I didn't have stitches and didn't tear either. It's crazy you stopped bleeding after 2 weeks though. It was like 5 weeks for me.

I feel fairly norrnal now...well normal plus 30 pounds heavier Angry

• I felt in a good mood around 5 hours post delivery.  The one thing that gave me pain was the spot where the epidural was, not sure if having 2 helped either.  

I also had cold sweats for 2-3 weeks and that drove me crazy to be freezing and sweating up a storm, no matter how much or how little I wore.

I was one who bled for 3 1/2 to 4 weeks, and hated wearing pads but know it will all be over soon.

The one thing that I did love was the ice pads and the cooling medical pads and spray they gave me in the hospital. 

Like other posters stated, do not lift anything and take advantage of sleeping when your lo is sleeping.

Good luck with your induction! 

• I actually felt really good after my vaginal delivery. I was up and walking around right after and went shopping by myself 2 days after we got home from the hospital. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an emergency c-section and felt normal again by 3 weeks pp. I was walking with my husband, dd, and our two dogs by week 3, and was back at the gym at the end of the 5th week. I felt that my recovery went really well. I took it really easy the first two weeks and i think that really helped. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPhotobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"