3rd Trimester

Truthfully - how many of you are using your bumpers?

We had our last "Baby 101" class and while the nurse teaching the class said they don't know what actually causes SIDS, there are a ton of precautions to take. I fully agree.

However, we learned that we aren't allowed to use our bumpers (I knew about pillows, blankets, stuffed animals)....

So, how many of you ARE using bumpers?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Truthfully - how many of you are using your bumpers?

• Nope. Not worth the risk IMO.
  • Bumper is already set up, BUT baby won't be using the crib right away. She will be in her basinette. So i don't know when she will trasnfer over to the crib but we do have a bumper.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageIrishBrideND:
    Nope. Not worth the risk IMO.

This. ?I didn't even buy/ask for them for this reason. ?

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageIrishBrideND:

This.  Our set came with a bumper and I have it in the crib now for "show" but it will be removed when we bring DD home.

• we got a breathable bumper.
  • We are not. They are cute but not worth the risk (not to mention how pricy it is to buy the whole set)

There are no blurred lines, only jail time

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

my blog: Inspirationseeker.blogspot.com
  • I have 2 DDs already and have used them most of the time with both of them. I did finally break down and get teh mesh bumper though because

1. my regular bumper kept falling down and the mesh one is elasticized so it stays put.

2. obviously it's the only acceptable bumper with regard to SIDS.

I would highly recommend it. I got mine at BRU and I feel silly I waited till DD #2 to get it considered that I did worry a fair amount about using the regular bumper (but she always wanted to snuggle up against the slat and a few times I her her bang her head as she was repositioning.. It seemed like a no win.situation...)

• Didn't even buy any.  We didn't even get a crib set because pretty much everything in there has no practical use until later, and baby will be getting blankets galore from showers and stuff..... so it wasn't worth the $150 to get a set.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• I haven't gotten one yet, as LO will be in the bassinet at first. Honestly, I'm still torn between getting the cute one I love, or the breathable.
  • I used the ones that came with my bedding set with my 5 year old.  This time around I bought breathable bumpers.  (Although DS looked at the crib set up yesterday and complained that with the bumpers there how will he rub the baby's tummy when he wakes up in the middle of the night.)
    Bianca image.
  • We aren't right away because it's a tight squeeze in the crib, but we plan on using it eventually.

• We're using the bumper.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • We will.  We did with DS also.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

•  I am not. I just bought some sheets and one blanket..I didn't want to waste the money since I've had one of 3 showers and I've already recieved 4 more blankets.
  • We decided not to not only because of the SIDS risk but also because in many cases you have to take off the bumper to change a crib sheet.  That would drive me bug nuts.

This was a big reason we forewent the cute bedding sets altogether and just got basic crib sheet separates and a cute bed skirt sold separately.

Oh, and we have a breathable bumper sitting in the closet, ready for when LO actually starts to roll over.

• mine came with the set and I will use it before she goes in the crib and it will look cute when the bed turns into a toddler bed.  There is a certain point that it is ok to use them but would need to ask my doc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I already had one  I would. 
  • We put them in for deco/space but have taken them out since we're in crunch time.

We would have used them. The ties don't line up with our crib slats very well so the bumpers don't stand flush against the edges... kinda wavy, lumpy, and loose. We didn't like that so they came out.

• I left the bumper in until dd could roll over then I took it out. Each day I just laid it in the crib while she was not in there.I will be doing the same with dd2, not worth the risk.
  • LO will be sleeping in a bassinet in our room for the first few months - so no bumper at that point.  Once we transition him into his crib I plan to have a bumper at that point (4-6 months?).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Nope. Not worth the risk, so we didn't even get one. We did get a breathable one for a shower gift, but we're not going to use it unless we need it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageNeverKnew:

We decided not to not only because of the SIDS risk but also because in many cases you have to take off the bumper to change a crib sheet.  That would drive me bug nuts.

This was a big reason we forewent the cute bedding sets altogether and just got basic crib sheet separates and a cute bed skirt sold separately.

Oh, and we have a breathable bumper sitting in the closet, ready for when LO actually starts to roll over.

This exactly.  We are registered for sheets, and a breathable/mesh bumper, and I just got a crib skirt yesterday at Target.  It seems like you can't use ANYTHING in a crib set (bumpers, pillows, or quilt) so why bother?

• Me. I used them with #1 too and she's still alive, never discovered her with her face pressed into the bumpers in the morning...you ARE allowed to use bumpers, its a personal decision. I also covered DD up with a light blanket when she was a baby....agian never found her entangeld or suffocating.
  • We used the bumper with DD when she started rolling around the crib and getting her leg stuck out the side - at that point, she was mobile enough that the SIDS risk had greatly decreased.  We will do the same with this child.
  • Well use them until the baby rolls then we'll probably take it off or change to a breathable fabric.
  • We will, we did with DD too. I will just take it out for a time when the baby starts to roll around but can't quite control himself and then I will put it back in once he is good again.

www.guyandevashop.com
  • i am using a breathable bumper, so that LO  doesn't get thier arms or legs caught in the crib.

• Can someone clarify b/c I a little confused...are they a SIDS risk b/c LO can somehow get between them and the crib slats?  Or are they a SIDS risk b/c they block the airflow in the crib?  I also heard putting an oscilating fan in the room helps with the airflow issue...anyone else here this, or will do this?

Thanks!

• imageNiniJ55:
    LO will be sleeping in a bassinet in our room for the first few months - so no bumper at that point.  Once we transition him into his crib I plan to have a bumper at that point (4-6 months?).

This exactly!

• imageBananaSD:

Can someone clarify b/c I a little confused...are they a SIDS risk b/c LO can somehow get between them and the crib slats?  Or are they a SIDS risk b/c they block the airflow in the crib?  I also heard putting an oscilating fan in the room helps with the airflow issue...anyone else here this, or will do this?

Thanks!

There are two issues with them.

a) LO can get her/his head stuck against the bumpers before he/she has really learned to roll away

b) it reduces airflow so they aren't good to use when he/she is little

• We used it with DS without issues- I'm not sure what the risk could be.  Until your little one can roll (which is about 3-5 months old) they aren't anywhere near the bumper.  And when they can roll, they can roll away as well.  DS also sleeps on his belly (GASP) and is still alive today :)
  • Only breathable bumpers here. 

This is why we didn't buy a bedding set. Shouldn't use the bumpers, can't use the quilt in the bed -- I just couldn't justify paying $$$ when we'd only use the sheet and crib skirt. 

I just got coordinating individual pieces, plus the mesh bumpers.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • imagelenaerickson:
    Bumper is already set up, BUT baby won't be using the crib right away. She will be in her basinette. So i don't know when she will trasnfer over to the crib but we do have a bumper.

This

• image*LrCg*:
    We used it with DS without issues- I'm not sure what the risk could be.  Until your little one can roll (which is about 3-5 months old) they aren't anywhere near the bumper.  And when they can roll, they can roll away as well.  DS also sleeps on his belly (GASP) and is still alive today :)

no one is saying that using a bumper or putting them on their bellies will automatically cause death. So of COURSE there are babies who survive it. However, those things do increase the chance of something bad happening...which is why many recommend one avoids them.

• I got a full bedding set (it was off ebay so a great price) and I made my bumper into window valences and am using the quilt as a wall hanging--we registered for a breathable bumper but havent gotten it yet--honestly if I dont get it at my shower I probably wont use anything

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm using a bumper, a regular, adorable bumper.  The way I see it is, I'm not worried about it restricting air flow to the crib, because I have a ceiling fan that I'll keep on low (good for slight white noise anyway).  Once the baby can roll around, he'll be able to move away from the bumper - and not have his arms or legs caught.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageIrishBrideND:

THIS

• Nope.

My cousin died from SIDS last year and it was the most horrible thing I can possibly imagine.  I'm being overly cautious as a result.

• imageIrishBrideND:

This.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"