3rd Trimester

changing ob during 2nd tri...

im coming over from 2nd to post this and get as much help as i can! thanks ladies! so on changing OBs during 2nd tri (mabye even later) anyone know if there are restrictions or anything? we might be moving again soon. 2.5 hours away. changing insurence and everything we will probably be on cobra when she is born ugh (any advice on that too?) so really what i want to know is how late can i change OBs and any one have experience with this?

Re: changing ob during 2nd tri...

• You can change your OB during any time of your pregnancy.  Just make sure you let your new OB now about your last OB and let your old OB know your moving (they might recommend someone for you to go to at your new place of residence).  Also, your new OB will ask for medical history from your old OB or re-work you from the beginning, it depends on how much they trust other dr.'s or what their way of practice is.
  • I changed my OB during 2nd tri because my old one stopped taking my insurance. I just made sure I had a copy of my records to give to the new dr. because insurance will most likely not pay to get things done for the second time if there is no medical need (pap smear, u/s, etc.)

I wound up having to pay for each OB visit at my first dr. because according to my insurance I needed to be with the same dr. for 4 visits prior to not having to pay one copay. I would double check if your initial copay will cover all OB visits with your first dr. 

Good luck! :)

• Loading the player...
  • I changed during my 2nd tri- we moved across the country so I didn't have a choice. I made sure to get my records from my 1st OB and my current OB had no problem picking up where the first one left off. I'm sure you'll be fine.
    image Mommy to Anna Grace, born 4/25/2010 Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • imageSMCbride2b:
    I changed during my 2nd tri- we moved across the country so I didn't have a choice. I made sure to get my records from my 1st OB and my current OB had no problem picking up where the first one left off. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Same here. I moved at 28 weeks, and had researched OB's in my new area before I left (if you know what insurance company you have you can look on their website to see what OB's they allow you to see).  I faxed my records to my new OB (and kept a copy for myself) so they knew my history and as pp stated I wouldn't have to re-do any previous tests as they usually aren't covered.  I had no problems, and my new OB said she has transfer patients a lot, it is very common to have to switch for one reason or another. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageacareyf4:

I wound up having to pay for each OB visit at my first dr. because according to my insurance I needed to be with the same dr. for 4 visits prior to not having to pay one copay. I would double check if your initial copay will cover all OB visits with your first dr. 

This.

I had to change at the start of 3rd tri due to changing insurances.  But when we found out we were having to change I called my old OB, found out what their policies for changing were, got recommendations for new doctors, and got the forms to transfer my medical records.  When I was calling around to find a new doctor I was told by several that they wouldn't accept 3rd tri patients.  So personally, I'd start the process ASAP.  It took about 2 weeks to get everyone coordinated. 

• GET HARD COPIES OF ALL YOUR RECORDS FROM OB #1!  Do not rely on the office to send them to the other office.  It takes a million years, and often it doesn't get through at all.  Bring a copy with you to your new doc...
  • I changed OB's when I was 34 weeks. They had no problem with it and I actually am really glad I made the switch. The office I go to now seems more supportive of my decisions of going natural. All I had to do to make the switch was call my old office tell them I am switching, sign a release form for them to send my records, and make an appointment with my new office.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"