3rd Trimester

VENT: I HATE contractors

DH and I decided to have some tile put down in our bathroom before the baby arrives. No big deal right? WRONG!

The guys showed up at 9:00 am Thursday morning (an hour late). At 3pm the guy who owns the company said that he had to leave but that it he was going to leave the other two guys behind to finish. The guys left just after 5 and when I went into the bathroom I found out that 

1. They had put down a few cracked tiles

2. The toilet had been mounted wrong

3. That in one area the grout (sp?) wasn't done properly 

4. They hadn't finished the closet

DH called the guy and he was more than aware of everything we had noticed. He said that if the cracked tiles were a problem then he could fix them but that it was difficult to cut tile in a circular pattern as needed to be done to go properly around the toilet (that's not my problem and that is HIS job) and that they had run out of tile for the closet but that he had ordered more and that he would be back the next day (Friday) to fix everything but until then we couldn't use the bathroom.

I spent all of Friday morning waiting for him only to find out that the tile company never ordered the tile that we needed so that we wouldn't be back until today at 10am.

I just got a phone call from DH (it is 11:30) saying that one of the work trucks had broken down but that someone was going to be bringing another one out and that after the truck was taken to a shop that they would be on their way.

This is now the third day that I have had to sit at home waiting for them to finish their job. I have a life, I have things that I need to get done and would like to get done. Sitting at home waiting for people is not on that list. I get that things happen but honestly at this point it just seems like an excuse for this guys incompetence.

We got a really good review on his work from someone else which is why we went with him but now I wish we hadn't. 

Re: VENT: I HATE contractors

• ugh, this is why DH and I try to be DIYers.  I hate contractors. 

1.  they should have known how much tile they were going to need for the job.  b/c of color issues, they should never use from a box of tile ordered later.  if there is a slight off color between batches, it will stick out like a sore thumb.  What they should do is have the necessary boxes to start with, and mix the tiles as you go.  the tile manufacturer never guarentees perfect color match between batches, so they should have planned accordingly and started with enough tiles.   ---and they should know better!

2.  yes, circles are hard, but if you have the *proper* tools, then no it isn't.  no tile layer should have ever put down a cracked tile.  that is very bad on their part.  

• It kills me how some of these guys do business...
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah we're big diy'ers too. We did our own tile in the Br. Without cracking it. Is DH going to yell at them or do you have to do it?
  • imageforeignroyalty:
    Yeah we're big diy'ers too. We did our own tile in the Br. Without cracking it. Is DH going to yell at them or do you have to do it?

DH is dealing with all the business end but as he works 50+ hours a week I am the one that has to be here all day with them.

My dad was going to be doing the work for us but he lives out of state and wasn't able to get down here. I think that after the owner left for the day that the other guys got lazy, but still that is not my problem and I am pissed that they thought it was ok to lay cracked tile.

DH worked out that the contractors are going to pay for all the tile since this is taking so long.

• 1.  Any seasoned contractor knows you can not put down cracked tiles, they either thought you and your HD were stupid and would not figure it out or they plain just did not know what they were doing.

2.  They should know how to mount a toilet properly, I mean come on!

3.  Grout is pretty easy if you know what your doing, these guys do not sound like they know what they are doing or they thought you would not know what proper laying of grout looked like.

4.  They should have known how much tile they needed before starting the job, its contracting 101 and they should have also counted in a necessary % of cracked tile per box.  Its called a contingency percentage, normally 5% to 10% put aside for little surprises.

It does not sound like these guys have ever done a bathroom or is licensed to do contracting work and therefore should not call himself a contractor.  You could also be dealing with a guy who hires day laborers who also have no idea what they are doing.  I would have DH tell the so called 'contractor' that he has to pay for the cracked tiles laid, the re-grouting and any other damages, since it is his piss poor work and by no means your fault.  Also, cutting a hole in tiles is easy if you have a tile cutter which most professional contractors who lay bathrooms have.  Also say that any other 'extra' costs due to mistakes on his part or lack of estimation should be paid by contractor.  Its not your job to pay for half assed work.  If you really feel uncomfortable about it fire him and find another, this time one that is licensed though!

• imageLLShrestha:

1.  Any seasoned contractor knows you can not put down cracked tiles, they either thought you and your HD were stupid and would not figure it out or they plain just did not know what they were doing.

2.  They should know how to mount a toilet properly, I mean come on!

3.  Grout is pretty easy if you know what your doing, these guys do not sound like they know what they are doing or they thought you would not know what proper laying of grout looked like.

4.  They should have known how much tile they needed before starting the job, its contracting 101 and they should have also counted in a necessary % of cracked tile per box.  Its called a contingency percentage, normally 5% to 10% put aside for little surprises.

It does not sound like these guys have ever done a bathroom or is licensed to do contracting work and therefore should not call himself a contractor.  You could also be dealing with a guy who hires day laborers who also have no idea what they are doing.  I would have DH tell the so called 'contractor' that he has to pay for the cracked tiles laid, the re-grouting and any other damages, since it is his piss poor work and by no means your fault.  Also, cutting a hole in tiles is easy if you have a tile cutter which most professional contractors who lay bathrooms have.  Also say that any other 'extra' costs due to mistakes on his part or lack of estimation should be paid by contractor.  Its not your job to pay for half assed work.  If you really feel uncomfortable about it fire him and find another, this time one that is licensed though!

He is a licensed contractor, we checked that out. I have seen his other work so I also know that he knows what he is doing. The work that he did right looks great. I think that he thought we were stupid and wouldn't notice things like cracked tile.

My dad use to be a contractor and he often took me on jobs with him. I know how this stuff is done and what to look for. I look like a traditional Southern Belle and men are usually surprised that I have a brain and that I know a lot about cars and other more "manly" things.

The work will get done right, I am just pi$$ed that he took me for a fool and that this has taken this long.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"