Baby Showers

Etiquette regarding prizes for games...

I thought prizes were suppose to be "baby related" and the winner would end up giving it back to the mommy-to-be.  At the last baby shower I was at (happens to be the host for mine too) the gift was not baby related but I still thought I should give it to her. She didn't accept it and I got funny looks from other guests. So I thought maybe I was out of place.  Well, while talking to my friend today (who is hosting another shower in a couple of weeks) we were talking about prizes.  She said that her mom thought there should be two prizes - one for the winner and one for the mom. So what do you think?

[Poll]

Re: Etiquette regarding prizes for games...

• I've seen it both ways. I went to a shower today for a family member. My mom called me later to ask what was up with the prizes being non-baby related. I told her the last few showers I've been to for friends it was like that. So I'm not sure if it's an old school thing or a regional thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've only ever seen prizes for the guests that are not baby-related...like plants, gift baskets with wine/snacks, or bath and body works type things.  I think it's kind of nice to give the guests a little something back since the mom is getting so much.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Um, isn't the mom already getting gifts--you know------at the shower?

You can't give your guests a tiny darned momento? I've never heard of giving gifts back, seems pretty rude when they've forked out cash for the mom to be already.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Labor Buddy to Blowfish11
  • I went to a wedding shower where the gift was given back to the bride.  Once.

I don't get it and I think if you're going to play games, etc, and have a winner- then give the winner a prize and let them keep it. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imagegringa78:
    I've only ever seen prizes for the guests that are not baby-related...like plants, gift baskets with wine/snacks, or bath and body works type things.  I think it's kind of nice to give the guests a little something back since the mom is getting so much.

This exactly!

• Of probably 40 - 50 baby showers I've attended over the years, I've only seen this done once.  And the mom-to-be at that one was gift-grabby anyway, so I attributed it to that.
  • I have never, ever seen (I catered events for years) or attended a shower in which the gifts were given to the winner to then give to the mother-to-be. I find this in incredibly poor taste. 

Judging from the responses, I guess it's something that's sometimes done, but not something I would ever, ever consider. 

I think it's nice for the winner to receive a little bottle of wine or a scented soap basket or something. I assume if they are attending the shower they already bought a gift for the mother-to-be, and shouldn't have to give their 'prize' back to her. 

Tacky. tacky. tacky in my book 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never heard of a prize going to the guest of honor.  Perhaps it's a regional thing?
  • I've never even heard of this, and where I am, the prizes are things like a chocolate bar or something.  It's never anything more than maybe a $5 something.  But then, most shower gifts where I am from are also only about $20, regardless of who gets them for you.  So we just buy prizes to match the price range!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagegringa78:
    I've only ever seen prizes for the guests that are not baby-related...like plants, gift baskets with wine/snacks, or bath and body works type things.  I think it's kind of nice to give the guests a little something back since the mom is getting so much.

This.

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have always seen things like bath and body works lotions, or soaps (you could do pink or blue)  or candles as gifts.

"Even miracles take a little time"

• imageShellShockedMama:

Um, isn't the mom already getting gifts--you know------at the shower?

You can't give your guests a tiny darned momento? I've never heard of giving gifts back, seems pretty rude when they've forked out cash for the mom to be already.

This exactly!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This might be a regional thing.  Where I'm from the prizes always go back to the guest of honor whether it's a bridal or baby shower.  The prizes are usually small baby items or housewarming items in the case of a bridal shower.  In fact, I'm 37 years old & I'd never heard of a game winner keeping the gift until I came on these boards. 
  • I am from Michigan and have never heard of the mom to be getting gifts back. Always goes to the guest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"