3rd Trimester

Back pain with period like cramping

I've been having off and on period like cramping accompanied by back pain today. Its been very irregular but has hung around all day. I was wondering(for those of you who have been in labor before or have recently had a baby), where exactly is the back pain associated with actual contractions. Mine is and has been really low, like right above my butt crack area(nice description huh lol). It seems to ease a bit when DH pushes on it but its is quite prominent on both sides, then it kind of wraps around every now and again. The cramping in the front has been off and on too, and gets even worse when LO starts moving around. I haven't had much upper stomach tightening(like the bh that I have had), so I dont know if you need to have that in order for them to be real contractions. I'm just trying to decide if these are actual contractions or just some cramping along with low back pain. I've had a definite increase in pressure down low today also. Early labor possibly? I told DH that it would be so much easier if I knew exactly what things felt like and what was going on. I had the urge to be sure everything was packed today just in case, so I dont know if that means anything but I'm just confused by it all. Help...lol. Thanks ladies!

Married My Best Friend On May 23rd, 2009
Our Little Man is Finally Here!!!
<a href="http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/nrb0509/?action=view

Re: Back pain with period like cramping

• Sounds like contractions to me.  GL! Hope they get closer quick. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm no help in terms of experience any real labor yet...but what you've described sounds like it sure could be it! Good luck to you and keep us posted!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • From someone who had no idea back labor existed and just thought she was having AMAZINGLY AWFUL, HORRENDOUSLY TEAR-INDUCING gas cramps until her water broke on her couch....

You can absolutely be in labor and feel nothing in your stomach.  I would guess you're getting near.  Just keep track of them, see if they get closer.  My BH and false labor with my last pregnancy were all in my stomach but for actual labor it (as well as my first two) was concentrated exclusively in my lower back (yes, right above the butt crack).  You can have a combination tho, and feel it both in your stomach and back or lower thighs...

That said, there's no way to know for sure until it actually happens.  Every pregnancy is different, so even if you had done this before, you wouldn't necessarily know it was about to happen until it did.  I could have sworn I was in labor a week before I had my last, but they died off after 12 hours....

Also, look in the mirror.  Does your stomach look lower?  Your baby may have dropped causing the increase in pressure down low.  That's actually how I knew I was about the start labor.  She just felt...unsupported...and there was definitely more pressure/movements waaaay down low.

I know I didn't give you any definite answers, but hopefully...maybe it helped a bit?  Good luck whatever happens!

• I have been getting those off and on for the first few days.  Doc told me today that I started effacing but that is no guarantee when labor will begin. I am ready to get this birth party started but will just have to wait.
  • Sounds like my early labor with DS.  Hope it's good news for you and good luck!
  • To whomever asked about progressing: At my 36 week appointment, I was 1 cm dilated and my ob said my cervix was very soft. She didn't say how much it was effaced or anything but I dont know if thats because I was only 1 cm. At my 37 week appointment, I was still 1 cm dilated(I figured as much because I hadn't had any cramping or bh at all that week) but she mentioned that my cervix was a lot softer and she could actually feel his head. I have my 38 week appointment tomorrow, so I wont know if I'm progressed anymore until my internal tomorrow. I have a feeling that these are doing something.

I've actually been trying to walk around more because it almost seems to be doing more when I'm up walking around. I have the feeling to go lay in the tub but my DH told me no, just in case my water were to break.I guess I just feel different with all thats going on today, like something is telling me that this is more than just BH or cramping. I haven't had any back pain with cramping or BH so that may be what is making me think its more?? I wish they would be more timeable..they are just so random....

Married My Best Friend On May 23rd, 2009
    Our Little Man is Finally Here!!!
    <a href="http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/nrb0509/?action=view
  • I think you're my Bizarro...I've spent the day in this exact condition.  I finally called doc at DH's behest, and she said it's not labor.  I've certainly read about the number of people who have had back labor and I was convinced that I was in early stages.  But according to doc, since they're not increasing in intensity or time, this feeling of discomfort means nothing.  So now I'm just laying around like a ball of blah...  Good luck to you, though...hope it amounts to something substantial for one of us!
    Photobucket
    My two angels

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is what woke me up this morning in pain, thinking this was in! I actually got up (around 4:45), finished packing my bag, took a shower and cleaned up a bit. I am a second time mom, so I figured that if I could clean up a bit, then I probaby wasn't in labor:). The shower did help me feel better and they eventually stopped after about an hour....
  • imageMrsPhunk:
    I think you're my Bizarro...I've spent the day in this exact condition.  I finally called doc at DH's behest, and she said it's not labor.  I've certainly read about the number of people who have had back labor and I was convinced that I was in early stages.  But according to doc, since they're not increasing in intensity or time, this feeling of discomfort means nothing.  So now I'm just laying around like a ball of blah...  Good luck to you, though...hope it amounts to something substantial for one of us!

Dang you and OP are creeping me out! Same here! Today I had period-like cramps all day and back pain. Not excrutiating pain, but definite discomfort. I think I lost my mucus plug last night and I *thought* my water was leaking today and I just got back from OB triage - not dilated at all. I was sent home :( If I hear "soon" or "getting close" one more time...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"