Stay at Home Moms

Despise talking on the phone

I admit- i hate the phone. So much that i just don't answer it when people call. I totally screen my calls. If the person doesn't leave a message = no call back.

I hate the people know i am home- and think i can just talk on the phone.

I call DH once a day so he can talk to Gisele- he loves it. I seriously put the phone on speaker phone and let her carry it around and talk to him.

My gram just called- and i totally used the 'lunch' excuse to hurry myself off the phone. I felt bad- but i just really hate talking on the phone.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Despise talking on the phone

• Me too!  I particularly hate talking on my cell phone.  I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, it feels like a waste of time because most of the convos are just chit-chat.  Plus, DD whines to hold the phone while I'm on it!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Me too!  And ditto that people think b/c we're SAHM's we can chat...

I turn my phone to vibrate when DS is napping and I always forget to turn the ringer back on!  LOL  :) 

• Loading the player...
  • I don't like it either.  I'd much rather type up a quick text or email.  I especially hate it when I know I will be stuck on the phone with someone who just wants to chat away about nothing.  No thanks.  We also call DH on speaker phone about once/day so Audrey can "talk" to him with me.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • imageluv_my_boy:

And ditto that people think b/c we're SAHM's we can chat...

The worst one for me is my own mother, who is herself a SAHM!  But she's quite chatty...

• I don't mind talking on the phone and I always answer, despite the number.  When Parker was a baby we heard from so many doctor's at different numbers that I'd pick up every call so as to not miss them.  Now it's just habit. 

I will say that Parker doesn't mind when I'm on the phone and will play independently for about 20 minutes or so to give me some time to talk, so maybe that's why I don't mind?...

• imageEnglishMajor03:

I will say that Parker doesn't mind when I'm on the phone and will play independently for about 20 minutes or so to give me some time to talk, so maybe that's why I don't mind?...

oh yeah- i am lucky too- gisele will play fine when i am on the phone. it's not that- i don't know why i detest it so much.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Ive been telling people for years that i am phonaphobic! Its not that i dont like talking on the phone as much as it is calling people. My stomach just flips knowing that i have to call someone which makes me put it off and it doesnt happen.

If its someone i know and talk to alot...it doesnt bother me. If i have to call family that i havent spoken to- omg i get sick to my stomach...and its just family!

I stumble on my words,im forgetful, Im worried they wont know its me,i speak when they speak or vice versa,its awkward and i just hate it.

People just dont understand it...I swear im not making it up.

Texting is certainly a big help for me.It keeps me in contact w/friends that i talk to rarely...but i agree with the idea of it being "bad" Email and texts are un-personal.

• I hate talking on the phone too. I always have. I am great with email though!!
  • I avoid about 1/2 of my calls. I always ignore MIL's calls. She's deaf in one ear and has a hearing aid in the other. But on the phone she turns it off and that makes me have to yell into the phone to talk, which in turn upsets DS because he thinks I am yelling at his grandma.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh... same here!!!

I avoid picking up the phone at ALL costs, whether to answer a call or make a call, except my 1x a day call to my mom, Emily's only Gran, to catch her up on what's going on, let Emily talk to her and I do this while I'm making dinner or at the park with Emily.  I hate giving up naptime to chat on the phone!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• imagealrdytkn1222:

Ive been telling people for years that i am phonaphobic! Its not that i dont like talking on the phone as much as it is calling people.  

WOW! This is exactly how I am and no one understands especially my husband!  I seriously get nervous and avoid calling people.  Then I have crazy guilt!  

I am really nervous about being so accessible as a SAHM.  I am worried people with know if I avoid their call or don't call them back right away.  I think I just don't like being unprepared to have a convo with someone, so I avoid answering and then feel guilty and nervous to call them back and it's this horrible cycle! AHHHHH!! 

• I am SO with you. I NEVER talk to anyone after 7pm unless it's urgent. That's my "me" time to unwind, and since I find talking on the phone a chore, I totally screen calls.

I have no idea how people can talk so long on the phone. Now, the only person that I'll have a 20 minute conversation with is my cousin, but she lives in Greece, and I speak to her about 2x per month, so we have a lot of catching up to do.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • imageStacyc625:
    imageEnglishMajor03:

oh yeah- i am lucky too- gisele will play fine when i am on the phone. it's not that- i don't know why i detest it so much.

yeah, you too are super lucky. If I have to get on the phone, that's the EXACT time my girls will drive me bonkers.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Same here.  I hate talking on the phone but have started answering the call when it rings because what I hate worse than answering an incoming call is having to return a call.

Yuck! 

• imagealrdytkn1222:

Ive been telling people for years that i am phonaphobic! Its not that i dont like talking on the phone as much as it is calling people. My stomach just flips knowing that i have to call someone which makes me put it off and it doesnt happen.

THIS!!!!  I hate hate hate making phonecalls.  For some reason it makes me sick to my stomach with nerves.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • LOL I remember complaining about something similar about a week or so ago and I liked your advice to me then.  Wink

But yeah, people think that just b/c I'm a SAHM that I have all the time in the world to chat on the phone.

• You sound like my husband.  He loathes talking on the phone.
  • I forgot to say that I am the polar opposite.  When I was a teenager, my parents used to tease me that I was wearing a groove in the floor from walking back and forth when I was on the phone.  If I got grounded, I got phone privileges taken away because that was what upset me the most.

Now, I talk to my mom several times a week and it's nothing for us to chat for 30-45 minutes at a time.

• Me too and DH doesn't get it.  I just don't have the time or attention span to chit-chat with people on the phone all day.  I prefer things in "writing": text or email.  I can address it in my own time without trying to keep up my end of the conversation!
    DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well i know this is really late...but im glad to see that i am not the only one who is "phonaphobic"

Its awful...Especially when people dont understand.

Especially now a days...caller ID. I would be like Hello!  Its Carrie! How are you? And they would be like yea i know i have caller id...Umm...ummm...ummmok? Hows it going? It screws me up..and then i feel embarrassed that i said my name..totally forget why im calling and then its alot of stumbling after that especially if they are not good at speaking on the phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"