Babies: 0 - 3 Months

1 month old having issues with the switch of breast milk to formula...

I have a one month old son, and he was primarily breast fed until recently. He has always ate from a bottle due to latching problems since birth. I was not producing as much milk as he needed, and eventually I went to the pump and nothing came out. So he is now on his second day without any breast milk and he really seems to be struggling. He has never been partial to the taste of his formula (similac advance), and now appears to be suffering from extreme constipation. He has never been colicy, but last night he screamed for 2 1/2 hours, and again for an hour today, and mommy couldn't soothe him. I called the pediatrician, and they said its because I was feeding him too often and too little (I have always fed him when he wants to eat which usually falls between 1 1/2 and 3 hours and 1 1/2-2 ounces), and that I need to start feeding him 4-5 ounces every three to four hours. I attempted this last night for the first time, and he seems miserable, I feel like I am starving my son. Any suggestions? I feel so guilty and helpless.

Re: 1 month old having issues with the switch of breast milk to formula...

• I am not a doctor.  Let me start with that.

But I think that what your dr said is a bunch of crock.  I think it all evens out to about the same amount.  Your baby knows better than anyone else how hungry he is!  I don't have advice, unfortunately, but I think you should go with what your little guy tells you rather than what anyone else's guess is.  Could you try a new formula maybe?  I'm sorry!

• I don't have any advice for how to get him to go longer in between eatings... cause my little guy eats every 3-4 hours and eats the full 4-5 ozs on his own. But I do have a suggestion for the constipation. We just moved from breast milk in a bottle to formula and his poop was like clay. And he screamed! Pedi said to give him one teaspoon of dark Karo syrup for every ounce of formula in 1-2 bottles a day. It has softened our little guys up so he is more comfortable. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought Karo could contain botullism spores like honey and should not be given under the age of 1 year old? Seems like I've heard this before...
  • imagegotchagomo:
    I thought Karo could contain botullism spores like honey and should not be given under the age of 1 year old? Seems like I've heard this before...

I have no idea.. it's what my pedi said and since I'm no doc, I went with it.

• Thanks for your help. He is still miserable, but we are going to the pedi.first thing in the morning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"