3rd Trimester

If you've had internals with a male OB?

Just a question: did he have the nurse in the room for your internals? He always has a nurse in there when he does paps, etc, but not for the internal? He didn't actually look under the sheet, though, is that why?

My sister has the same OB as me and she said he didn't have his nurse in the room for her internals either.

I'm not worried about anything funky or creepy, but it seems like a liability risk to me?

Re: If you've had internals with a male OB?

• hmmm....that's weird. i thought it was a requirement. for dd and this child, i have a male ob and they always have the female nurse in the room for that!
  • I have never had an internal or pap by a male OB at my practice...but I did have one check a lump in my breast once...and he had to have a nurse in there for that exam.

• Loading the player...
  • Um, what? I don't understand... so if your OB is a man, he has to have someone else in the room with him when you get a PAP or an internal?

Is this a state law? Cuz my regular OB is a man and he's never had anyone else in the room when I have my annual visit. I mean, it's his job. I would never be worried about something like that - he has a license to practice medicine. 

Or am I missing something?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My OB always does internals by himself with just the two of us in the room.  Same with paps and breast exams. 
  • I have an audience lol my hubby always and for the internal a nurse as well
  • imagedib:

Um, what? I don't understand... so if your OB is a man, he has to have someone else in the room with him when you get a PAP or an internal?

Is this a state law? Cuz my regular OB is a man and he's never had anyone else in the room when I have my annual visit. I mean, it's his job. I would never be worried about something like that - he has a license to practice medicine. 

I'm not sure if it's a state law or just a personal preference for the doctor...maybe it's based on malpractice insurance? Maybe they have different requirements?

• My male OB doesn't have anyone in the room during paps or internals either.
  • nope.

But my old gyno in another state always did....and she was a woman.

• imageaegrimm:
    imagedib:

Um, what? I don't understand... so if your OB is a man, he has to have someone else in the room with him when you get a PAP or an internal?

I'm not sure if it's a state law or just a personal preference for the doctor...maybe it's based on malpractice insurance? Maybe they have different requirements?

Cuz my next question would be: what about pediatricians? Or any male doctors? Would all male doctors (whether OB or not) have to be supervised with female patients? Yeah, I've got to believe insurance/malpractice has something to do with it, but, geez. I'd be pretty pissed if I were a male OB.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagedib:
    imageaegrimm:
    imagedib:

Cuz my next question would be: what about pediatricians? Or any male doctors? Would all male doctors (whether OB or not) have to be supervised with female patients? Yeah, I've got to believe insurance/malpractice has something to do with it, but, geez. I'd be pretty pissed if I were a male OB.

Haha, or his nurse? It can't be comfortable standing there and watching someone get a PAP...because she has to stand where she has a "view"....awkward! lol

• No. I never really thought about it until a few weeks ago when I was talking about this with my father in law. He is a obgyn and he said all dr's should have a nurse in the room with them for liabilty issues.

Now that I think about it he never had a nurse in the room for my pap either. But I wasn't worried about anything funky going on so I guess that's why I never thought about it.

• When I see the male OB, he has a nurse in the room for anything that requires me to undress.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mine has the nurse come in during the internal, not the rest of the apt.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• I've actually seen both male and female OBs in my group and every time there's been an internal, there is a nurse present. ?
  • Had my first internal today.  My dr. is a guy too.  He pushed a button on the wall and in came a nurse.  She left after he was done.  I don't know that it is a requirement, but some docs just might prefer it.  Ya know?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCoopersmommy101207:

No. I never really thought about it until a few weeks ago when I was talking about this with my father in law. He is a obgyn and he said all dr's should have a nurse in the room with them for liabilty issues.

Now that I think about it he never had a nurse in the room for my pap either. But I wasn't worried about anything funky going on so I guess that's why I never thought about it.

It is not a law or requirement, but many male OBs and other dr's that have to examine women will have female RN's, techs, etc in the room for liability reasons. I work in a hospital as an US tech and have had male dr's ask me to hang out in the room while they examine a female patient to be safe.  They are completely professional but you never know what a patient may say or if she would take something the wrong way. It just helps to have a witness.

I have actually done the opposite--if a male patient creeps me out and I have to do a sensitive US (like a testicular or prostate US) I have brought male co-workers in to observe.  I have had several occations where a creepy male patient has hit on me (while scanning his testicles--really, does he honestly think that is APPROPRIATE?!?!) so having a male witness in the room decreases my liability for the patient to then come back and say I was the inappropriate one (especially if they are pissed I turned them down.)

• Mine always has a nurse in there with him. I guess for the liability issue but she also hands him stuff. I'm sure you can request for a women to be in there if it creeps you out.
  • i  was pretty sure that a nurse only has to be in the room if you want them to be. you can choose to not have them in the room also. when i have seen a male ob they always ask me whether or not i would like the nurse to stay in the room.
  • My OB always has a nurse or student in the room, He also doesn't look under the sheet. I'm not sure if it's a requirement though. My OB is a private practice and he is the only doctor so having another female for liability risks would make sense.
  • My OB won't even come near me dressed or undressed unless there is a nurse in the room. A few times, he wouldn't even close the door to the room (there is a curtain that is closed)  until the nurse comes into the room then she will close the door. He will talk to me and check my chart see if I have questions etc but he stands a good 4-5 ft away from me. When he examines me, he takes a quick peek to see where his hand is going but otherwise he stands staring at the ceiling.

I can't blame him though, its such an easy way to be accused of something. and it only takes a min to make sure a nurse is with him to keep him safe too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We did even with my DH in the room. 
  • Kinda weird. I would not worry about it though. I have 3 male OBs and a nurse is always in the room whenever any of them do an internal. 
  • I thought it was a requirement as well.  The nurse has been in for both internals so far.
  • Mine had the nurse in the room with us for the internals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My father is a doctor and won't close the door to the exam room if a nurse isn't present.  It is a liability issue. It isn't a law or requirement by the state.  There are some crazy people out there, and no doctor will ever win the he said/she said debate in court.

My OB will come in and talk to me, but if there is any nakedness involved the nurse comes with him.  I was suprised he would come in and shut the door by himself. 

• when I had a male OB there was always a nurse present.  My first female OB always had a nurse present......my current OB practice (all women) do not have a nurse present
  • I have a male OB and he always has his nurse come in. She doesn't really need to do anything besides remind me to breathe. LOL He does it for Pap's and Internals. I never really thought about him doing anything freaky. As long as they're a registered OB I don't care if it's a male or female.
  • I think that with my OB the nurse was there for the initial pap, but hasn't been for the internals.  My old Gyno never had a nurse in the room for any exams.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"