Babies: 0 - 3 Months

If you BF - great list of "reasons to be proud"

Just wanted to share :) I love that you can see how any little amount helps, so be happy with whatever you do or did. I struggled a lot at first with wanting to BF DD2 as long as I did DD1. I almost stopped BF but now we're back to 100% BF and I'm thrilled with that (though I would have been equally as happy FF if that was working well for DD too).  Maybe if I'd seen this earlier, I could have focused on what I already did, as opposed to struggling with what I might not do.

Reasons To Be Proud

First Feed:
For baby - helps to stabilise baby?s blood sugars and protect baby?s gut.
For mother - a great opportunity for the first skin-to-skin cuddle.

1 Day:
For baby - the antibodies in mother?s colostrum provide natural immunity from infection. 
For mother - helps womb to contract to normal size.

2-3 Days:
For baby - sticky black meconium is cleared more readily from baby?s bowel. 
For mother - instant relief for hot, swollen breasts when milk comes in.

1 Week:
For baby - transition to world outside womb is eased. 
For mother - frequent feeds mean time to sit or lie down and for you to get to know each other.

2 weeks:
For baby - food & drink always ready at the right temperature, adapting to the baby?s needs. 
For mother - hormones help you to get back to sleep after night feeds.

4 weeks:
For premature babies - lower risk factors for heart disease in later life. 
For mother - saves time sterilising and making up bottles.

6 weeks:
For baby - half the risk of chest infections now and up to 7 years old.
For mother: Breastfeeding likely to be easier and you can go out and about without bottle feeding equipment.

2 months:
For baby - lower risk of food allergy at 3 years old if breastfed only.
For mother - reduced risk of ovarian cancer in later life.

3 months:
For baby - five times less likely to get diarrhoea now and a reduced risk for the whole year.
For mother - fewer visits to gp as baby is less often ill.

4 months:

For baby - Half the risk of ear infections.  Less risk of asthma now and protection continues for up to 6 years.
For mother - feeling of empowerment at having been solely responsible for growing your baby for 4 months.

5 months:
For baby - five times lower risk of urinary tract infections.
For mother - a lovely way to reconnect with the baby if you go to work.

6 months:
For baby - lower risk of eczema now and up to three years old.
For mother - less risk of osteoporosis in the long term.

1 year:

For baby - three times less risk of becoming obese by age six and a lower risk of heart disease as an adult.
For mother - no need to by formula milk at all saving at least ?450 this year.

2 years:
For baby - likely to have higher average scores in intelligence tests.
For mother - expect fewer visits to orthodontist when baby is a teenager.  Risk of breast cancer reduced by 8%. 

CP 3/07
BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
BFP 11/14

Re: If you BF - great list of "reasons to be proud"

• This bums me out even more... I wish I could EBF...
  • That is a really neat little list.  I liked being able to check off the progress I have made so far...2 months and counting!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejessloveschase08:
    This bums me out even more... I wish I could EBF...

no! That wasn't my point :( I wanted to show that any little bit helps, so you should be happy with however much or however little you do!

CP 3/07
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 11/14
  • I wonder which of these pertain to EP's?!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That is great.  I do feel proud that my son is doing so well.  I can say, though, that you shouldn't feel sad if you can't.  I couldn't with my first dd and she is very healthy and smart.  I am glad to be able to with this one.
  • imagemksolomon23:
    I wonder which of these pertain to EP's?!

I would think the majority of them since they seem to mostly be tied to breastmilk rather than the act of nursing.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The coolest thing is knowing my body has sustained my baby's life so far. 
  • That's a very cool list! Thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Love this! Thanks for sharing. :-)
    Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ::eye roll::

My poor little baby is just suffering since I FF and don't BF. It's posts like this that make people who aren't able to BF feel bad, just like jessloveschase said. 

• imageellemoney:):

::eye roll::

My poor little baby is just suffering since I FF and don't BF. It's posts like this that make people who aren't able to BF feel bad, just like jessloveschase said. 

oh please. eye roll yourself. 

These are facts. Not this is better then that. My whole point was that people are way too hard on themselves about it and struggle with it. So whether you do it for 1 feeding or 2+ years, you should be happy with what you did.

If you want to take a facts list personally and feel bad, that's your own thing. I have nothing against FF. I do both. I guess I should have posted on the BF board but to be honest, I forgot that board was there since it's new.

It's not like I posted some taboo thing that someone is better for BF or FF or whatever you do. I personally find the FF or BF badges much more ::eye roll:: worthy then this.

CP 3/07
    BFP 11/14
  • Thanks for posting this.  I love that I'm able to EBF right now but I struggle with the losing weight thing too.  I am constantly reminding myself to eat more so I can keep my supply up and that the weight will come off naturally.  I know the benefits of breastfeeding are much much more important than getting back into pre-baby shape.  Thanks.

You know what? If you are secure in your decision to formula feed, people celebrating the benefits of what they are doing shouldn't bother you in the least.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bim, thanks for this post.  And I sent you a PM yesterday.
  • I love this post!

And I love you...Or well, think you're awesome!

Because you both BF and FF and are using it as a tool to show others to be proud no matter how much or little they were able to do!  In the long run, as long as you are FEEDING your child, I think you're doing well!  ;-)
  • imagebim38106:
    imageellemoney:):

oh please. eye roll yourself. 

These are facts. Not this is better then that. My whole point was that people are way too hard on themselves about it and struggle with it. So whether you do it for 1 feeding or 2+ years, you should be happy with what you did.

If you want to take a facts list personally and feel bad, that's your own thing. I have nothing against FF. I do both. I guess I should have posted on the BF board but to be honest, I forgot that board was there since it's new.

It's not like I posted some taboo thing that someone is better for BF or FF or whatever you do. I personally find the FF or BF badges much more ::eye roll:: worthy then this.

For the record, I don't feel badly about the choice I've made on how to feed my kids.  And maybe you didn't mean anything with this post, but it's the fact that some (and I am absolutely NOT saying you are one of them) BFers who would post this sort of thing do look down on FFers or think they are better than them. 

That's why I ::eye roll:: these sorts of posts. I think too much is put on Moms on how they freaking feed their own kids. It's just my opinion and I am super pissy today, so there's another reason for it. 

But this type of post does make some people feel down about it. And in my experience (which I have posted this on the parenting board before) the kids in my family who were BF are much less healthy and have to go to the Dr more than the ones who were FF. So I don't buy into the whole 'my kid is so much healthier thing.' 

Oh for god's sake.  If you are this sensitive, don't open the BF posts, a'ight?

• imageToledoDeux:
    imageellemoney:):

Oh for god's sake.  If you are this sensitive, don't open the BF posts, a'ight?

And oh for God's sake, I said *I* am not sensitive about it. I was obviously laying on heavy sarcasm and just pointing out that I some posts like this make people who aren't able to feel bad. It's not that I wasn't able to, so that's not my point.
    But bim said that she does both and that what I thought wasn't the intent of the post, so I said I just got all huffy b/c I'm in a horrid mood for whatever reason and feel like sometimes that's what OTHER people do. Maybe I didn't say it well in my reply to her, but that was basically it. She said she wasn't trying to say what I assumed and that's fine with me now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"