3rd Trimester

positive for Group B Strep

Has anyone else tested positive?  Does your dr/midwife seem concerned?  My midwife acts like its just pretty normal and the only difference is I will have to take antibiotics while in labour.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: positive for Group B Strep

• A friend of mine was telling me about this. And that really seems like that is all they are concerned with. They just put you on antibiotics when you are in labour so it doesn't get passed on to the baby. I think it is actually pretty common.
  • I am...  and yes, that's all that it means.  We'll get an antibiotic while in labor.  No big deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My sister-in-law had this. They just put her on antibiotics during labor and all was fine
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yep, I tested postive too!  Doc was not concerned at all, he said pretty much everyone has it but it can colonize in different areas of your body (i.e. vagina, anus, etc.)  He said 30% of women test positive and like you said they will put you on antibiotics during labor. 
  • I am negative but my doc told me that it is nothing to be too concerned about. You do need the antibiotics before you give birth so that the virus cannot be transfered to the baby when you deliver. So you need to get to the hospital early enough so the drug has some time to get to your baby.
  • Yep, just an IV, no big deal
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My SIL tested positive. She was given the antibiotics even before she went into active labor and delivered a perfectly healthy little boy Smile
  • I'm positive and they seem like it's no big deal. Just have to make sure I get to the hospital early enough to receive my full dose of antibiotics.
  • Tested positive, and it scared me too. The little brochure they give you made it sound scary! BUT, my doctor and the pediatrician seemed to think it was not a big deal at all, just get that IV going when you get to the hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"