3rd Trimester

My doc doesn't make me pee in a cup.

Anyone else? I've been grateful about it for the most part, but after reading about people finding worrisome things in their urine, it's making me feel like he could miss something important. I will definitely mention it to him at my next appt, but I'm wondering how many of you have to pee in a cup every time.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My doc doesn't make me pee in a cup.

• they have never found a damn thing in my urine. So, I do it for nothing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pee in a cup every single time. I guess if there was any concern, your doctor would take a urine sample.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do. After I sign in, I'm supposed to go into the bathroom, grab a cup, write my name on it, pee in it and leave it on the shelf.
  • With my DD I peed in a cup...and sometimes on my hand...at every appointment.  To me it was useless until the very end when I started showing more protein in there and my BP was going up.  I think I was on my way to pre-e but I ended up getting induced for being overdue anway.

Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • I do, every. single. time.  And it's getting harder and harder to hover AND balance AND successfully pee into the cup.
  • imageMrsRebecca:
    I do. After I sign in, I'm supposed to go into the bathroom, grab a cup, write my name on it, pee in it and leave it on the shelf.
    I wonder if this is what I'm supposed to do... I guess I kind of expect them to give me a cup, but maybe I am supposed to just do it myself.
  • Every single time.  DH actually asked me one day if they were going to do a pregnancy test every time... he thought that's why I had to pee in the cup.  LOL!  I had to tell him that it was for the dipstick to test for sugar, protein, blood and bacteria.

• It should be a part of your visit, no matter what. If they are not checking your urine, ask why and make sure that they do check it. I give a sample every time.
  • Not a visit has gone by that I dont pee in a cup! In fact, I usually walk in, sign in and go straight to the back to pee! This way by the time they call me back for Doc to see me my urine has already been tested. Im not sure why your doc isnt doing it but I suppose they have a good reason. Im just glad mines does bc it has allowed us to catch an infection I had earlier on in my pregnancy.
  • I've never had to pee in a cup either, and I was kind of wondering why as well.
  • That's weird. They have me do it every appointment.
  • I do at every single appointment. 
  • imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imageMrsRebecca:
    I do. After I sign in, I'm supposed to go into the bathroom, grab a cup, write my name on it, pee in it and leave it on the shelf.
    I wonder if this is what I'm supposed to do... I guess I kind of expect them to give me a cup, but maybe I am supposed to just do it myself.

I'm sure they would have said something by now if you were supposed to do that.

And LOL to the PP whose DH thought they were doing a pg test at every appointment. That is SO something my husband would say!

• I have never had to pee in a cup.  Only had to do a 24 hour urine collection to rule out preeclampsia.  But I don't think I have EVER had to, not even in the early part of my pregnancy.
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't. I have done it a few times like when I have any symptoms of a UTI or other problem. And just recently because my BP was high. I go to a Naval Hospital for all my OB care though, so that might be why...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I do! They gave me a cup at my first appt to pee in and bring in everytime I have an appt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Every appt.  And once the nurse's asst ask me to pee in the wrong type of cup and they asked me to do it again!  It didn't happen....but yeah my Dr. is like a pee Nazi.  Whenever she comes into the room at the start of an appt, the first thing out of her mouth is...."you made sure to leave a sample right?" 

I might ask your Dr. why you haven't had to do it.  Although, the only thing they've ever told me about my urine is that I'm dehydrated....which I know.  But if you're really up on your fluids...you're prob fine. 

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I was never told to either, except at my first appt where they tested for positive pregnancy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • every appt i go to i pee in a damn cup lol they check to make sure u dont have a urine infection which can become serious they had found that with me the last time and idk lol
  • I pee in a cup AND do my own dip test at my MW.  It is easy in that I put a stick in the urine and then wait 60 seconds to see if there is any change in the color.  Then I weigh myself.  When I see her, I tell her what my test said, and what my weight is.

So far all looks good.

• I have to do it every time, of course, by the time I get there, it's off to the bathroom anyways :)

They're looking for a bunch of things. (I go to a midwife who also happens to be a doctor, so she lets me test it myself and goes over the results with me right there.) They look for protein, urine concentration (hydration), sugars, leukocytes and bacteria for possible UTI/infections, ketones (if you're eating enough or burning your own body fat, kidney functions) among other things. I swear, if they charge more than 10 cents at the doctor's office for doing that test for insurance, it's a total rip off. It's just a dip stick with about 10 test squares on it. 

At my last appointment, she saw some leukocytes/bacteria and prevented a UTI before it got bad. Good timing anyways because hubby came home with a terrible cold 3 days after I started the antibiotics, half his department is ill, and I'm not feeling sick at all.

• At the practice I go to, they will not take you back for your appt. until you pee in a cup.  It is to check for protein (to watch kidney function), as well as for bacteria, etc. because UTI and infections can be really dangerous if they aren't treated.  I am surprised that some OBs don't do that, I thought it was the "norm".
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • They never check mine either.
  • imagemandeline21:
    I do, every. single. time.  And it's getting harder and harder to hover AND balance AND successfully pee into the cup.

This for me too. They always tell me if everything looks okay or not - they dip it while I am in the room.

Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • imageRACox:
    I don't. I have done it a few times like when I have any symptoms of a UTI or other problem. And just recently because my BP was high. I go to a Naval Hospital for all my OB care though, so that might be why...

This exactly. I go to a Naval Hospital and they never make me pee in a  cup unless I tell them I think I might has problem down there. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they don't do any testing at the OB office. All the preggers would have to go down to the lab, and to say their slow is giving them credit. lol

• I only had to do it at my first prenatal appt., and not since then.
  • I have to pee in a cup at every single appointment.  I would be worried if they didn't make me do it.
  • I do it at every appointment. It's not a big deal, imo.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • imageMrsRebecca:

This.  There's never been an issue, but at the same time, I don't have to worry that there is because they test it every time.

• imageMrsAmyB:

With my DD I peed in a cup...and sometimes on my hand...at every appointment.  To me it was useless until the very end when I started showing more protein in there and my BP was going up.  I think I was on my way to pre-e but I ended up getting induced for being overdue anway.

I gave up trying to pee in the cup.  I make them give me a specimen hat to pee in and then I transfer it to the tube.  It's just too hard to work around the belly these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"