Toronto Babies

convertible car seats with high RF weight limits?

Hi ladies, I don't usually post over here but I thought this was probably the most appropriate place for my question.

I want to find a convertible car seat with a rear-facing weight limit of 35lbs+. I'm having some trouble finding reliable info on Canadian limits online and in stores.

Can we come up with a list here? I don't think there are very many.

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: convertible car seats with high RF weight limits?

• We bought a britax boulevard CS. 

Google safety superstore if you are in the GTA.  They have a great selection of RF seats.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• The Safety Superstore's website is not listing Canadian weight limits. For example it says both the Britax Marathon and Roundabout are RF to 35 lbs, but they're both only 30 in Canada. Thus my consternation. Grrr.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmm... just checked the manual for our Britax.  It's 30 lbs as well.

Any particular reason you need a 35 lb?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageMrs.C042807:

Hmmm... just checked the manual for our Britax.  It's 30 lbs as well.

Any particular reason you need a 35 lb?

I just believe in keeping my baby rear-facing for as long as possible.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ours is rated to 30lbs as well, and when he outgrows that, I will get a convertible car seat that goes to rear-facing until 50lbs (I think that was the rating on the one I was looking at). Are you under the assumption that once you move to a car seat that it has to be front-facing?
  • My concern with keeping them rear facing for that long is that they will get all cramped up if their legs are too long. Is there a length limit for rear facing in a convertible carseat?
  • imageE_sharp:
    Ours is rated to 30lbs as well, and when he outgrows that, I will get a convertible car seat that goes to rear-facing until 50lbs (I think that was the rating on the one I was looking at). Are you under the assumption that once you move to a car seat that it has to be front-facing?

Which seat are you looking at that is rated to 50lbs rear-facing in Canada? The highest I've been able to find online are the RadianXT at 45lbs and the Graco MyRide 65 at 40lbs -- although I'd like to see manuals in person to confirm, since I've found that stores often list higher (usually U.S.) limits (and clerks will incorrectly confirm these) than is actually the case.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageJen&Joe06:
    My concern with keeping them rear facing for that long is that they will get all cramped up if their legs are too long. Is there a length limit for rear facing in a convertible carseat?

Each seat will give you a height limit for RF, but I think the rule of thumb is usually at least one inch of space between the top of the head and the back of the seat. DD was RF until just before she turned 2 and she was never uncomfortable; she'd just bend her legs if needed. We would have left her longer if possible, but she'd outgrown the weight limit on her seat (and there's not room to install a RF seat behind the driver in our car regardless, sadly, so with two seats it just wasn't possible).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Nope, you're right, its only to 40lb RF, its to 50 FF, my mistake.
  • imageE_sharp:
    Nope, you're right, its only to 40lb RF, its to 50 FF, my mistake.

Can you share what seat this is? This is the kind of info I was hoping to get.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would keep them rear facing until they are at or over both height and weight restrictions. 

If they are really tall but still under weight, it's better to keep them rear facing and in the case of a car accident, break their legs instead of their heads...

Hi. :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"