3rd Trimester

Am I way off base here?

My best friend just had her baby 9 days ago... The day after they brought him home I ran into her at walmart (sans baby) finishing her Xmas shopping. Then at 8 days old they had him out and about at the mall! This just seems crazy to me! Is this odd to you?

Re: Am I way off base here?

• I probably wouldn't have my baby out with me at the mall 8 days after she's born, but to each his own. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Not to me. I had DS at Target at 2 days old (I needed more formula and I had to get out of the house.)

I covered the car seat with a blanket, but I had stuff to do and no help. I did what I had to do.

• Loading the player...
  • No everybody heals differently. My sis went to Disneyland a week PP and said she felt great and she took her new LO to the beach when he was 5 days old. It depends on how you feel and what you are comfortable with. I would totally go stir crazy hiding in the house and will probably go out.
  • It all depends on what you are comfortable with. I don't plan on staying at home all the time and never leaving the house. So I will be one who takes their newborn out in public, I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • well, if it was me, just being the time of year and how busy the stores are, I probably wouldn't have him out.  but maybe, if it were like Feb/March and there was no one out, or it it was the summer and there weren't as many germs.  But, yeah, I don't know if I would be out with a new baby with all those people around.  but, to each their own!
  • Why is that crazy?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • no not odd. On the way home from the hospital we had to get a couple things at target. So in all my pain and glory with my awesome hospital look i had going we stopped and even showed brock off to the cashier.
  • nope, with ds1 we had him at the store the day we left the hospital. Its a personal choice. I did it to help boost his immune system. Besides many people cant stay cooped up in the house, as long as the baby is covered and people arnt touching all over them your fine.
  • Nope.  Baby and I will be headed to the bar 1 day Post-Partum.  I've waited long enough.

;)  Nothing wrong with that, right? 

• imageCgilb:
    I probably wouldn't have my baby out with me at the mall 8 days after she's born, but to each his own. 

Yep, this.  I personally would never do it, but if she was feeling good enough to go out and wanted to bring her LO, I don't think it's a big deal.

• my dr. said 2 weeks keep it low key--yet in that 2 weeks you go to the clinic twice where all the sick people breath on the baby anyway.   she just said to not rush out to shop or church--enclosed places for awhile.  but by the start of week 3 we went to my place of employment and walmart :)
  • It would depend on how I felt. 2 weeks after LO is born we'll be traveling 14 hours to do house hunting. Not ideal, you do what you have to.
  • I wouldn't do it and I'll silently judge people who do. ?

?

I have tried to limit the exposure of germs with my children till the 3 month mark. ?

• DISNEYLAND? Really? Wow good for her thats amazing she was up to it. I guess personally I could never see myself leaving my newborn with a sitter 2 days PP. But to each their own I guess!
  • We took DD to target at one week old.  She had a pedi appt. that day so I asked if it would be a bad thing to stop on the way home - pedi said there was no reason why we couldn't.
  • imagecma1989:
    DISNEYLAND? Really? Wow good for her thats amazing she was up to it. I guess personally I could never see myself leaving my newborn with a sitter 2 days PP. But to each their own I guess!

My sis has amazing recoveries I don't think its the norm. I mean I would leave SIlas 2 days PP for a SHORT amount of time but not long at all maybe an hour or 2 max

• imagekimbarnes83:

Nope.  Baby and I will be headed to the bar 1 day Post-Partum.  I've waited long enough.

Darling we will go together!

• imagekimbarnes83:

Nope.  Baby and I will be headed to the bar 1 day Post-Partum.  I've waited long enough.

Darling we will go together!

• < is going to be silently judged by the all knowing runningmom, because my husband will be depolyed and I have no one to run errands for me.

• I don't see the issue at all.  As long as no one is touching the baby or breathing all over the baby. 
  • My family is old fashioned, and I've always gone with not taking the baby out until at least 2 weeks later. I know there are people who have no other alternative which is why I don't judge, but I seriously disagree if you can help it.
  • I don't figure that I will be taking the baby out much in the first week, but that is purely a personal feeling.  Plus, it is like 5 degrees here.  My SIL is getting married around the time I am due, and my husband and I both agree that if the baby come before the wedding, we definitely will not be taking the baby to the wedding.  Some people think I am overly protective, but, I don't want 20 or so family members holding, touching and kissing the baby during the middle of flu season. 
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't see a problem with it at all, either going out alone or with child. Sometimes you need a break, and sometimes you need stuff. Dd was three days old and I was stir crazy with the inlaws over and walked up to the local coffee shop with her strapped to my chest while wearing dh's coat over the two of us. I knew if she was warm or cold and no one could get near her. We spent a good amount of time like that out and about until she was older. Go ahead, judge me either loudly or silently. :P
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagekimbarnes83:

Too bad you live so far away Kim! We could meet up! How else are all my friends going to meet him if I don't go into the bar! Sheesh! What should I do? Leave him in the car?

To each his own. Personally, I believe in the old thought that you need to expose them to stuff early to strengthen their immune system. I am not going to be able to shelter them forever, so why even start?

Plus, I get house-a-tosis really easily and need to get out! I was thinking about being a mall walker to shed off these extra lbs and planned on taking DS with me.

• Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I don't see anything wrong with it either. There is people that have no one else to help them out with things, so really they have no choice. I say I'm not going to do it now, but that may change once he actually comes because sometimes you really can't prevent it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I think it's a bit early - but we have a much longer lying-in period during which we don't really take the baby out.

• image1momma:

< is going to be silently judged by the all knowing runningmom, because my husband will be depolyed and I have no one to run errands for me.

?

FIrst thank you for your families sacrifice. ?

In response to your reply, my sister had a December baby while her husband was deployed. ?She made do without going to the mall to go Christmas shopping when he baby was 9 days old.?

Babies do not need to 'build an immune system' at 8 days old. ?If they get sick, they go straight to the hospital where they are admitted, tested, etc. ?It's not a nice experience for momma or the baby and really it's not worth it for mom to have "what if I had thoughts."

I understand that you may/will have to take a newborn out and I'll be silent because I know everyone's circumstances are different. ?But as the majority of the women who responded said, they just don't care about the potential repercussions.... ?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"