Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Bringing breast milk on a plane

Does anybody have experience with bringing breast milk through security for a plane trip? I EP and need to bring bottles on the plane. The TSA website said that you can bring what you need on the plane, but I am wondering what happens in reality. Does security give you a problem? How much is ok, etc? Any experience would be helpful!

Re: Bringing breast milk on a plane

• Just tell the TSA agents that you have BM in a bottle and show it to them.   Not a big deal.  This was even true for me in Detroit, where the TSA agents are super hardassses.
  • imageToledoDeux:
    Just tell the TSA agents that you have BM in a bottle and show it to them.   Not a big deal.  This was even true for me in Detroit, where the TSA agents are super hardassses.

I've never had any issues in Detroit... usually they are friendly and chatty with me. 

• Loading the player...
  • imaget_igiveit2weeks:

imageToledoDeux:
    Just tell the TSA agents that you have BM in a bottle and show it to them.   Not a big deal.  This was even true for me in Detroit, where the TSA agents are super hardassses.

I've never had any issues in Detroit... usually they are friendly and chatty with me. 

I just meant that they tend to follow safety regs to the letter, not that they aren't friendly.
  • imageToledoDeux:
    imaget_igiveit2weeks:

imageToledoDeux:

I just meant that they tend to follow safety regs to the letter, not that they aren't friendly.

I had a bottle of water in my bag once and they didn't catch it.  Oops. I haven't flown through DTW since Aug '08 though...

• I flew home last month and brought 8-4 oz bottles with me on the plane. When I went through security, I told them that I had breastmilk that was more than 3 ounces. All they did was have me take the lids off the bottle and used some scanner over the top of the bottle that "sniffed" the breastmile to make sure that's what it really was. I got lucky, the guy that was checking my stuff just had a baby himself a week or two before, so he was really understanding. No big deal, really easy!
  • Like PP said, just let them know.  They can check it with the machine at their discretion.  One time they did, one time they just put it through the x-ray machine and didn't do any further screening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"