2nd Trimester

Question for the plus sized mommas

I was a size 16 pre-pregnancy and had my 15 wk appt yesterday. I have gained 5 lbs.  and you would have thought I was a MONSTER!

She tore into me like a kid stealing candy! I explained to her, I have done this before. I was a plus size girl then, I am a plus size girl now and I will still be plus sized when this is over!

Has anyone had this experience yet? What are your Drs. saying about weight gain and what is appropriate etc...

Thanks

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for the plus sized mommas

• I've been a 16 at the start of both pgs; doc said to gain 20-30 lbs, as is recommended for healthy weight folks.

I only got admonished once when I gained 9 lbs in 3 weeks when pg with DD.  I was told not to gain that much in that short time frame again.  I didn't, and ended up gaining 30 lbs during my pg with her.

• was your doctor saying you should be gaining more or less? i am 20 weeks and i have only gained like 6 lbs... i was a size 14-16 before getting pregnant my doctor hasnt said anything to me about my weight...
  • Loading the player...
  • I was a 16 before pregnancy and was told to gain 15lbs.  I've already gained about 10lbs.  My drs have not said anything about what I have gained.  I'm thinking I may get in trouble at my next appt.  I wish I had only gained 5lbs!

• wtf!!! i've gained 20 lbs and my doc is not worried !! (size 16 pre-preg)
  • I would tell my doc to bite me if I were you. That seems ridiculous. I am no skinny mini by any means and my doc wants me to gain 25-35 lbs. I would say you are right on track.
  • pennylane- She said I had gained too much. Then proceeded to tell me how many overweight ladies die during labor and how she doesnt want to have to explain to my husband that I died because I ate too much during pregnancy.
  • i think you need to get a new doctor thats ridiculous... I have never been told anything like that...

Dont listen to her.. .thats horrible...

my sister was in a size 16 when she got prego with her first and put on like 45 pounds and her doc never said anything... 

• I stole this from 1st tri:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/health/15obese.html?_r=1&ref=research

I've gained 13 pounds so far and my doc freaked out on me, he actually advised me to loose weight. I decided I will watch what I eat and exercise in moderation (walking 20-30 mins every day), if it results on weight loss, great, but I'm just hoping to not gain more than 2 more pounds.

There are no blurred lines, only jail time

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

my blog: Inspirationseeker.blogspot.com
  • imagehotflmomma:
    pennylane- She said I had gained too much. Then proceeded to tell me how many overweight ladies die during labor and how she doesnt want to have to explain to my husband that I died because I ate too much during pregnancy.

I'd leave a doctor over this.  Concern is one thing - rude and b!tchy is entirely something else.

• imagehotflmomma:
    pennylane- She said I had gained too much. Then proceeded to tell me how many overweight ladies die during labor and how she doesnt want to have to explain to my husband that I died because I ate too much during pregnancy.

Are you serious?  I think I would be looking for a different doctor.  I'm not exactly sure where I was carrying all my weight because I was a size 14 and 207 lbs before I got pregnant and I'm only 5'3". (I had been working out and lost a lot of weight and was down to a 12, but then gained a little back and was back to a 14 - before when I weighed that much I was a 16/18, so I don't know if it was more muscle or what.)  At my first appointment at 8 weeks I had gained 10 lbs already and I told my doctor I was concerned with that because I didn't want to gain 75lbs like I did with my first two.  She agreed.  At my 12 week check I had gained 10 more pounds, and all my doctor said is that I need to really watch it and be careful because she doesn't want me to have a huge baby.  No lecturing, no rudeness about it.

I think your doctor was totally out of line for saying something like that.  I mean it's one thing to tell you that you need to be careful and they only want you to gain x amount between each visit but to say something like that isn't ok.  

• You need a new doctor.  That was completely out of line, regardless of your weight.  I would have ripped them a new one and then gone and found a new doc.  RIDICULOUS!

I was a 16 pre-pregnancy as well.  At my 16 week appointment I had gained 3 pounds.  The midwife told me she would like to see me gain between 1/2 pound and 1 pound per week from here on out.  If I gain 1/2 pound per week that will put me at 15 pounds total.  If I gain 1 pound per week it will put me at 27 pounds total. 

Seriously, get a new doc. No one has the right to talk to you that way.  Concern is one thing, being a _bitch is something entirely different.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • that wasn't very nice of her :/ i'm only 20 weeks along and have gained 7 pounds and my doctor hasn't said anything about it.  i don't think he's as concerned about the number as he is with GD, preclampsia, the baby measuring on target, etc.  
  • I literally cried when I left that appt. I wouldnt give her the satisfaction of crying in front of her but definetly did when I left!
  • I've gained 19 as of my last appointment a week ago. I'm not skinny by any means and my doctors seem satisfied. They said anywhere between 20-30 lbs would be enough for me to gain and I'm apparently still on track for that...I'm with the others, I would be looking for a new doc...
  • dont beat yourself up over it... and seriously consider a new doc... you dont need any extra stress during your pregnancy... :)
  • you need a new Dr. That is ridiculous to tell you that OW women die during labor... really? Was that necessary?
  • Fortunately my doc is really awesome. He's really not concerned about weight gain as long as the babe and I are healthy.

• imagebb80:
    wtf!!! i've gained 20 lbs and my doc is not worried !! (size 16 pre-preg)

this, except I was a size 12 pre-preg and have actually gained closer to 22. My doctor says it is completely normal :))

• I'm sorry, that's awful!  I'm a bigger girl to start with, I hardly look pregnant at almost 23 weeks.  My Dr suggested only 15-20lbs over the entire 40 weeks, and thought that no weight gain would be even better.  That being said, when I'd gained 5lbs between 16 and 20 weeks she wasn't upset at all, told me it was all baby and no big deal.

I would be looking for a new Dr. today, no sense in being treated that way. Your Dr doesn't have the green light to talk to you like that - complications can happen with anyone, not just those of us that are bigger.

I'm sorry you had this happen to you.  ****hugs**** 

• imagehotflmomma:

What?!  She is effing crazy.  That is an awful thing to say to anyone, regardless of whether it is really an issue or not!  Women of all sizes have healthy pregnancies all the time!  I would probably look for another doc as well...

I was 16-18 pre-preg and was told to gain 15-20 pounds.  At my 12 week appt I was up 2 pounds but I am sure at the 16 week it will be a different story.  My doc definitely doesn't ignore it but she doesn't say ridiculous stuff like that.  So sorry you are having to deal with crap like this.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Well i'm definitely no where near skinny. To be honest, I'm a only 5'1" and over 200 pounds and currently pregnant and my doctor still gave me a weight gain total of 25lbs. Your doctor sounds absolutely rude and unprofessional. I'd certainly look into getting a new one and relax. Everyone gains weight from this differently. Sorry you had such a crumby response from your doctor.
  • Your Dr. sounds awful and not very professional. You should look into finding a Dr. that is more plus size friendly.
  • imagehotflmomma:

*gasp*

Now I admit I tend to be more vocal than I probably should be but I'd give her a piece of my mind. As a matter of fact, I'll call her on your behalf and do it anyway-just give me the info!!  NO doctor has a right to talk to you like that and if it were possible to sue someone for rudeness or stupidity, I'd say sue her a$$ off.

That being said, and to answer your question, I was a size 18-20 pre pregnancy and at my 20 week appt had gained 8 lbs. I was pretty proud of myself-as was my doctor-but I suspect I have gained proportionately more since then (or is it 'disproportionately'? Meaning, at my 24 week appt I'm guessing she'll say I've gained too much. I haven't been eating as healthy as I was in previous months).

• That NYTimes article PP posted was really interesting.  I am much larger that you ladies - I was a 22/24 pre-preg and easily 100 lbs overweight.  It was a huge concern for me and I even went to a high-risk OB before getting pg to discuss.  He and my reg. OB agree that I should gain 10-15 total.

As of my 15 week appt I was down 3.  I can tell I'm gaining now though and feel as though I really need to watch it.  In the beginning I was so nauseous I was naturally eating less, I think.
  • I was a size 20 when I started.  My doc told me to try not to gain more than 15 pounds but also said if I gained 20 he wouldn't be upset.  So far (at almost week 24) I've gained a whopping 8 (I went down four and then gained 12...so 8 from my starting weight) My doc actually said to me "Wow, figrued you'd gain faster than that...but good for you."  So your doc freaking out about 5 lbs seems a  little ridiculous.
  • I think it was unnecessary for the Dr. to go on about death but it is her job and expertise to discuss weight gain with you.  My doctor is very honest and upfront with me about my weight gain and I appreciate that.  I don't think I would want a doctor who ignored my weight or told me it wasn't a big deal. 
  • I was plus sided with my first (and again now...just a little bigger) and my OB wanted me to be careful and try to gain no more than 25 lbs, ideally only 15.  I gained 24 and he was fine, I lost all the weight quickly, then proceeded to put on about 10 after I stopped nursing.   

This pg, he hasn't said a word to me about pg weight gain, so far I haven't gained at all...I'm down a few lbs since getting pg. (which I also got a lecture about but whatever).

Ultimately I think as long as you don't go crazy and gain TONS of weight you'll be fine.

• imagehotflmomma:

Um WTF! you need a new doctor.  If my ob said that to me I'd punch him in the face.

• Thank you ladies for all your kind words, this place is truely a blessing to me!
  • imagehotflmomma:
    She said I had gained too much. Then proceeded to tell me how many overweight ladies die during labor and how she doesnt want to have to explain to my husband that I died because I ate too much during pregnancy.

Holy crap!  I would tell her how inappropriate her comments are and tell her that you are finding a new doctor. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"