Baby Showers

Babyshower for a 2nd pregnancy

I am curious if having a baby shower for my second pregnancy is ok... My sister wants to plan one and I just do not want people to think we are greedy.

We have a (almost 3 year old) boy and are now expecting a girl. Most of the things we need we have been buying ourselves. It would be nice to have a few extras like diapers, and possibly some of the bigger items like car seat and sit n stand stroller.

Let me know what you think and your experiences... thank you!

Re: Babyshower for a 2nd pregnancy

• I think if it is very small, maybe even family only, that it is fine.  I am not a fan of showers for second babies and will usually decline.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never seen one IRL.  A shower celebrates a woman's transition to motherhood, which only happens once.

You can certainly celebrate, though, with a "Meet The Baby" party after the birth or a no-gifts get-together.

• Loading the player...
  • Your sister offered and if it's somewhat "done" in your area/group - I'm not going to out and out say this is wrong.

However, I agree- keep it SMALL.  Immediate family and your CLOSEST friends only.  The people who you may know would gladly love to come to a small gathering in your honor.

Or, as Roxy suggested, have a "Meet the Baby" party afterwards.

In the end, I always give a gift for a new baby the first time I meet the baby.  So.... having a shower/sprinkle where I'm basically told to bring a gift - I dont' see it as necessary.  I'm going to give them something no matter what.

And that's what I feel most peopel do anyhow, and why I just feel additional showers aren't necessary.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• You can just have a "Pamper Party", where everyone brings diapers.  I do think 2nd time "showers" are a little tacky, but have been to several.  But I wouldn't call it a "shower"
  • You are definitely ok to have another baby shower. Especially since its now a girl! And it's been 3 years... it is definitely ok!

• imageDaisyGrl13:
    You can just have a "Pamper Party", where everyone brings diapers.  I do think 2nd time "showers" are a little tacky, but have been to several.  But I wouldn't call it a "shower"

This. I was going to suggest a diaper and wipes party. People will inevitably bring pink outfits, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We had a "sprinkle" for my girlfriend when she got pregnant with her second. I agree that if you keep it small and low key it's not a bad idea. We had a few friends meet  her out for lunch and surprised her with some gifts but an in house brunch or something would be nice too!

I say go for it!  

• in my family we always see it as EVERY new baby needs a shower!
  • I really think it depends on your family and friends. I just went to a very good friend's second baby shower and was totally cool with it. She has a three year old girl and was having a boy the second time. There was probably around 25-30 people. I know some people think it's really tacky so again I think it depends on the group you are invited.
  • imageRoxyLynn:

I've never seen one IRL.  A shower celebrates a woman's transition to motherhood, which only happens once.

You can certainly celebrate, though, with a "Meet The Baby" party after the birth or a no-gifts get-together.

This. 

Meet the baby parties are awesome.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• imagerysmomsn2banother:
    in my family we always see it as EVERY new baby needs a shower!

This.

But you know you're group and if they're going to be bothered by it.  Has any one else in your family had a 2nd shower before?  Ask a few close relatives what they think.

• I would keep it small and maybe family only.  Have you considered doing a "Sip and See" after the baby is here?
  • I really think it's a regional thing. For people in some places/groups it's not a biggie at all, for other people it is. I'm having a second shower b/c my SIL offered to throw one for me and felt this baby deserved a shower just as much as DS did. I graciously accepted her offer but asked that it be family only, and it is. I plan on having a "meet the baby" open house after she's born for friends to come see and celebrate her (w/out the expectation of gifts). So I say, go ahead and accept her offer! But if it makes you more comfortable, keep it small, and family-oriented.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKttykat7:

I am curious if having a baby shower for my second pregnancy is ok... My sister wants to plan one and I just do not want people to think we are greedy.

We have a (almost 3 year old) boy and are now expecting a girl. Most of the things we need we have been buying ourselves. It would be nice to have a few extras like diapers, and possibly some of the bigger items like car seat and sit n stand stroller.

Let me know what you think and your experiences... thank you!

I don't think it is a huge deal based on what your circle/region does, but people generally do not buy large gifts for second babies, so if you are expecting/wanting bigger items, you probably won't get them.

From what I have seen, unless your children are WAY far apart, you will end up with lots of clothes and maybe the diapers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never heard of a baby shower for a second baby until this board, where it seems to come up frequently.  Maybe it is regional, I don't know, but among my family and friends it's never done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My BF and mother are planning one for us.  No one got to do one for DD#1, this is the first child for DH and I, he has a son so his family wants to be able to do something for his first daughter, and most of his family hasn't met me yet.  I see no problem with it.  In my group/family, we celebrate the babies--not the mother.  So it would be looked at as just because I have DD#1, our LO is no less special or less deserving of the attention.
  • In our area, unless the second (or more) child is spaced far apart, you have a sprinkle for the 2nd - so necessities - diapers and such.

I'm pregnant with my second - but it's my husband's first, and my first is 7 years old. So we have no baby things at all. Any baby things I had (or maternity for that matter!) I have given away to foster children and social services.

so it all depends on your circumstances. Just like my husband and I didn't register for our wedding when we got married - we both had houses, and we joined everything - so we didn't really need anything. With this baby, we need everything!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"