3rd Trimester

Can a Contraction Feel Like...

Just mild period cramping that lasts for thirty seconds or so but without the 'tightening' of the uterus?

I had 4 or 5 of these in an hour - drank a large glass of water, went on to have three more in the next hour and then none since.

Although my stomach has felt hard all night, I didn't notice any increased tightening of the uterus when the cramping was going on.

Wondering what this is? 

Re: Can a Contraction Feel Like...

• I dont know but I wonder the same thing!! I have been having these period style cramps for awhile now...for your sake, I hope they arent a sign of labor, but for my sake, i hope so. I dont know how that would work though...Stick out tongue
  • I had some pains like that...then had the worst diarrhea of my life lol BEWARE.
  • Loading the player...
  • You know, I always wonder if I'm going to *know* when BH start or if I'm not going to realize I'm having them...this is my stupid pregnancy fear.
  • I have no idea! And no one, apparently, to answer my damn question!

LOL 

• imagekimbarnes83:

I have no idea! And no one, apparently, to answer my damn question!

LOL 

Call your doctor...we're just a bunch of people on a message board. Stick out tongue

LOL.

• imagekimbarnes83:

I have no idea! And no one, apparently, to answer my damn question!

LOL 

Call your doctor...we're just a bunch of people on a message board. Stick out tongue

LOL.

• I have no idea either. For me when I had BH my uterus got tight and it was uncomfortable not really crampy. I was massively dehydrated though being in hundred degree weather with 100% humidity does that.
  • But.  They've been gone for an hour now and I think if I call, they might make me come in.  and i'm tired. LOL.  Oh gahd, I'm so bad.

But seriously, if they've been gone for an hour, shouldI still call? 

• I had similar cramps tonight... they seem to have stopped now though.
  • imagekimbarnes83:

But.  They've been gone for an hour now and I think if I call, they might make me come in.  and i'm tired. LOL.  Oh gahd, I'm so bad.

But seriously, if they've been gone for an hour, shouldI still call? 

I wouldn't, but that's just me. And I think if it's really truly labor, you'll know. It might be contractions (heck if I know- I'm a first time mama) but if they're not getting worse over time, then it's not true labor ... from what I've heard. Just my two cents.

• transitiontoparenthood.com says this:

Warning Signs in Pregnancy. Call your doctor if you see any of these signs.

?    Bleeding. Bleeding (especially bright red blood from your vagina) at any time during pregnancy should be reported to caregiver immediately.

?    Headaches, blurred vision, swelling of arms, hands, or face, pain right under your ribcage

?    Sudden, unexplained weight gain.  Fever.

?    Decreased fetal movements.

?    Signs of Labor before 37 weeks. For example, contractions of your uterus (four or more in an hour). Menstrual-like cramps. Dull ache in your lower back. Pressure in your pelvis, groin, or thighs. Increase / change in vaginal discharge, especially a gush of fluid.

• :(

Helloooooo. Someone talk to me while I wait for the advice nurse. 

• I had this just yesterday. The only advice I was given is either my underwear/pants are too tight or I'm dehydrated. My maternity pants are practically falling off of me, I just recently bought new underwear because my pre-preg undies were getting a little tight and I have at least half a gallon of water a day so I doubt I'm dehydrated.

• you know..just like TXT pointed out...maybe you are just going to get the runs...I know Ive felt like that before. Hopefully they dont want you to go to L&D to get checked..and then they hit...Stick out tongue haha..j/k
  • My computer is running soo slow, so if you get this AFTER you've gotten a good answer, sorry!

With DS I had cramps that felt like I just had to poo and called the Dr because I wanted to see if I could take laxitives, and she made me come in, turns out it was contractions and I was in preterm labor. 

A good rule of thumb is if your hurting, and you DO drink plenty of water, take a warm shower, and lay on your left side, and after an hour its still there, CALL!

I'm not trying to scare you I promise.  I'm sure things are fine.. but better safe than sorry!

Love ya!

• I'd hate to have explosive diahhrea while being checked.

Honestly, I'd go in... and may end up going in but DH didn't sleep well last night and I hate to keep him up all night at L&D for nothing. :(

I had another one just a few minutes ago though but maybe it's psycho-somatic? :(

• Call the nurse line woman!  It'll make you feel better.
  • When I was sent to L&D a few weeks ago for high blood pressure they hooked me up to all the monitors. I was having very mild cramping too and they were showing up as small contractions. It could be your body is progressing, meaning your cervix is dialting and stuff but it does not sound like active labor. My Doc says they would get steadily stronger and closer together. I have had some cramping for a few weeks. At my appt. last week I was 2cm and 80% effaced. Which, could mean the baby is coming sooner than expected or it could mean absolutely nothing! Drives me crazy!!!!!!!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"