2nd Trimester

Will anyone be in the waiting room when you deliver LO?

I am only having DH in the delivery room, but I'm wondering if any of you will have parents, siblings, grandparents, friends, etc in the waiting room while you are in labor or delivering.

Re: Will anyone be in the waiting room when you deliver LO?

• I hope not.

All of our parents are OOT

• I'm with you, just me and DH!  My MIL would love to be there but no way.  I'm just not interested!  We will probably call and tell people when we are going to the hospital but most of our immediate family lives 3+ hours away. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think my IL's and my Mom will be there, and I really really hope that my bff will be there. She's like my sister - bff for about 18ish years - and we've been through alot. I want her in the delivery room, but DH says no. We're placing bets as to what point he runs to the waiting room to get her though! lol

what about you?

• I would like to have my mom and to be fair I would allow my MIL at my head but DH says no way.  So it will probably be the 2 of us.  Unless, I am a screaming mess and he says ok to my mom for his sanity. 
  • This I don't know. I live a few states away from family so I don't know who will come into town prior to my due date. I'm thinking probably my mom.

• For the delivery room itself, DH & my mom will be with me. 

As for your original question, I'm not going to ask anyone to hang out in the waiting room.  I figure if they want to come, they're welcome to wait there.

My only reason for not asking people to come is because you don't know how long you'll be in L&D.  Some people it's very fast, some it takes a long time.  I don't want mine to take a long time & have people waiting around forever.

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • Don't plan on it.  I'm not going to tell them they can't come, but they are not coming into the room till I'm ready, which my guess will be several hours after delivery.
  • I have no idea. I mean, they're welcome to wait if they'd like, but they all live about 4 hours away.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • i have been wondering this as well. at first i wanted my mother to be there with me (aside from my guy) but now that im thinking about it, im not really sure that i want anyone other than my guy in there.. especially while im delivering... so right now, im undecided..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  hope not, i already told my mom it's fine if she drives over (both my mom and my MIL don't live around here), but i don't want anyone waiting at the hospital and i'd rather them just go to our house and give our pups lots of attention and we'll call when we're ready for visitors.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My parents will probaby come when we let them know I'm in labor. They live about 4 hours away so it's not a really big deal. They will meet the baby, make sure everybody is ok, and then return for a visit a few days (or a week) later.

DH and I only in the delivery room though.

• I'm thinking DH and both my sisters.  Thats if they allow 3 if not only DH!!
  • So far it looks like my BIL, SIL, DS, my sister, possibly my father (he wasn't around for our first child), possibly my paternal grandmother and possibly but unlikely my father's current wife.  I'm sure a very close family friend will be there for support too.  I apparently filled the waiting room the last time I delivered.  LOL!
  • hmmmm - i think they'll ALLL be out there. I'd like DH & maybe my mom in the delivery room and im sure MIL, FIL, SIL's, cousin, Dad & everyone else will possibly be waiting in the waiting room too!!
  • No!  Last time, I made it a point that I didn't want anyone in the waiting room while I was in labor.  You never know how long labor is going to be, and I didn't want my parents or IL's just waiting there.  DH called them after DS was born, and they all came to the hospital right away. 
  • It's going to be just DH and I in the delivery room, but I think my parents and maybe my aunt and uncle will be in the waiting room. DH's parents live in PA, but if they'd like to come down and be in the waiting room, they're welcome. I don't care how many people in the waiting room, but no one but DH and me in the delivery room.

• Nope we don't live near any family due to military and it will only be dh, myself and our doula in the room with us.

To those unsure of who will be in the room with you I would suggest checking with your L&D what their policies are. At my hospital I can only have two but you can rotate people. Some hospitals don't allow you to rotate or only allow so many people etc. So check with them before you make any plans.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In the delivery room will just be me and DH.  In the waiting room I'm not sure.  DH's father and step-mom live out of state.  DH's mom and step-father live out of state as well, but closer.  However, his step-dad works and his mom works at a seasonal job and will probably just come down the following weekend.  My mom has my sister at home who is still in school, and works also, so she may wait until the weekend too.  I think I'll have a couple friends in the waiting room, but that may be all.  And I'm completely fine with that!
  • Since I am having a C-section, my DH will be in the delivery room and my aunt and two sons in the waiting room.  Maybe some of my DH's family too... mom, stepdad, he has 3 bros and 1 step-sister that all live close too, but don't know if they will be there then or later after I feel like visitors.
  • imageanabell0920:

Nope we don't live near any family due to military and it will only be dh, myself and our doula in the room with us.

To those unsure of who will be in the room with you I would suggest checking with your L&D what their policies are. At my hospital I can only have two but you can rotate people. Some hospitals don't allow you to rotate or only allow so many people etc. So check with them before you make any plans.

The OP is asking who will be in the waiting room, not the delivery room. :)

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • To my chagrin I am sure the waiting room will be filled w/ "our people".  I'd rather just call them once LO is born & so would DH, but they would be SUPER offended & hurt if we didn't want them to camp out to support us.  My SIL set a bad precedent for me b/c she had a very long labor & wanted everyone in the room while she was laboring & wanted waiting room overnight campouts, etc.  So now we look like the evil ones if we don't at least call them while I'm in labor b/c they are all local except my dad who is flying in.  Only DH in the room w/ me though.  No exceptions.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • DD was born at 1:35am, so no one was there.  I'm not sure what will happen this time, due to DD.  I would love for her to meet the new baby as early as possible, which would mean the ILs are there as well.  It just depends on the time of day.
  • I have a big family with lots of sisters that want to be involved in the process. They live about an hour away.

I've told them that they're welcome to come visit while I'm in labor or after the baby is born, but to be prepared for me to kick them out to the waiting area if I get cranky or need privacy.

[oh, and definitely check the hospitals policy. My hospital isn't allowing any extra visitors except for husbands/partners during flu season. We can't even tour the ward right now]

• The plan so far is not to notify anyone that I'm in L&D. Mainly, I don't want my mom to be in the waiting room. I know how she is, and she'd be overly worried about what would be going on. I don't want to put her through that anxiety. And she's probably would want to come in and check on me every now and then, which would probably add to my nerves. It wouldn't be a big deal if I knew the delivery would be quick; but who knows how long its going to take. Maybe I'll change my mind when I'm in the midst of the whole thing.

It might sound a little callous of me to want it this way, but I think it would be best for not only my sanity, but DH's and family's as well. I would rather just call her once baby arrives and let her know that she's a grandmother and come visit. At least it will be painless for her!

• I was induced with DS and I had a whole waiting room full of people waiting to see us both after I delivered.  It was just immediate family, but I loved that they were there.  

And no, I didn't mind seeing everyone after I delivered (even after my induction, pushing, hemorrhaging, passing out, and remaining on Pitocin for 4 hours after delivery.)  But I'm very close to my family.

In the actual room, it was DH, my mom, and my sister (last minute thing.) 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• For the delievery room, just DH. But for the waiting room, I know that my BF will be there. I am guessing that my in-laws will be there even though they live out of town. I wouldn't mind other friends being there, but I do hope that they wait until the next day to show up.

• DH for sure.  My mom is trying to wiggle her way in but I think (know) she would drive me absolutely crazy.  My sister and I were talking about it and she was telling me that is exactly how she felt on the day she had my niece and that was even without mom in the delivery room!  Don't get me wrong, love mom to pieces but she can get annoying when she is really emotional.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Goodness, I am sure our families are going to fill the waiting room. I am having a c-section so they will know when we are going to the hospital and take that day off so the whole family will be there. I do not mind though we are both close with our families and I want them to be there to welcome our son with us.
  • Oh...as far as waiting room...all of our family & friends are welcomed, it really depends on what time the little monkey comes out.  I'm sure its hard for many to miss work and so on.
  • It depends on time of day and whether it happens during spring break or not since my SIL is a teacher and my stepdaughter and neice are in school.

Most likely my mom, MIL, and FIL will be in the waiting area if no one else.  ONLY DH will be allowed in the delivery room!

• All of my family lives at least a 2.5 hr drive away, so if it's a quick delivery (please, God!) then they might arrive after LO is already born.  I can't imagine anyone else but my parents and DH parents being there and they will stay in the waiting room unless I ask for my mom (I know won't be asking for anyone else).  My DH probably won't be in the room the whole time, but I want him to at least stay outside the door.  He's my "bouncer" lol. 

Oh, and this is kind of weird, but I work in the hospital where I'm giving birth, so my co-workers will probably be in and out occasionally or at least calling up to the room for updates.  I really don't mind b/c they're all nurses and most all are mothers.  In fact, a couple work in Infection Prevention and I told them that their job is to stand at the door with my bouncer to make sure everyone performs hand hygiene upon entering the room!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • delivery room just me, dh and medical staff

waiting room: most likely both of our parents.

• imagerlscheck:
    Don't plan on it.  I'm not going to tell them they can't come, but they are not coming into the room till I'm ready, which my guess will be several hours after delivery.

this!!! Yes

• We're planning to keep both sets of parents updated as the labor progresses...if they want to wait at the hospital, that's their choice.  But, they won't be able to see me until I'm ready for visitors.
  • I'm fairly certain everyone I know will be in the waiting room. LOL
  • Nope.  I've already told everyone that they cannot come until we call them after the baby is born (probably the next day, depending on the timing).  And also we are having no out of town guests for the first week.  Then it's probably going to be a free for all, but it's really important to me to have time alone with my baby and DH. 
  •   My husband will be the only one with me since it will be a csection.  I want my 3 other kids in the waiting room and my mom will be with them.  I have a friend who will come down too and she will help with the kids.  other than that I dont want anyone there until after the birth and a chance for things to wear off and for me to get some strength back
  • imagecdc1982:

My only reason for not asking people to come is because you don't know how long you'll be in L&D.  Some people it's very fast, some it takes a long time.  I don't want mine to take a long time & have people waiting around forever.

This Although I have a feeling my mom and SILs will be there waiting anyways.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My DH and I are together on this one. We both agree that just the two of us will be best. This way we get all the time we need to take it in and hopefully this can also help us grow closer to each other. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"