2nd Trimester

What is wrong with Fish Oil?

In prenatals? Was reading a topic down the page and am confused...

Thanks!!

Re: What is wrong with Fish Oil?

• Nothing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nothing I would hope b.c a lot of prenatals that u get from a doc. has that in it. I know mine does and I went to walmart the other day to look at there brands it also had fish oil in it.
  • Loading the player...
  • The only thing my OB said that is wrong with some fish oils is the type of fish or ingredient it's made out of. Not sure what exactly the name of the ingredients and fish because I tossed the list since I just take Expecta DHA. Most fish oils are fine, but some of the oils are said to be unsafe, but not sure of the effects. This is just what I have heard though!
  • Nothing is wrong with fish oils. they are great for the baby actually. Really good for brain and eye development.

I have genetically induced high triglycerides. I've been on prescription strength fish oils for a year. Doctors told me they are fine, safe, and good to take when TTC, pregnant, and BFing. I've done lots of research on this since my diagnosis last year!

• imagesnickybugg:
    Nothing I would hope b.c a lot of prenatals that u get from a doc. has that in it. I know mine does and I went to walmart the other day to look at there brands it also had fish oil in it.

The ones contained in prenatals or the ones that come with prenatals are safe, but some of the ones you just buy separately are sometimes unsafe. That depends on what kind you get I guess, according to my OB.

• MY OB said I could  take Fish Oil Supplements from GNC instead of DHA pills and that was fine. 
  • My doc said it was fine as long as you get the kind with heavy metals removed.  There should be a disclaimer on the package.

• From what I understand, unless the fish oil goes through a special purification process, there's the possibility it may contain mercury. Mercury accumulates in fishes' fat, and that's what's used to make fish oil pills. 

But the FDA doesn't regulate OTC supplements like that, so it seems like quality control is pretty much up to each company. It's a good supplement to take, but it's worthwhile to do some research on what kind of fish is used to make the pill and make sure you're getting good quality ingredients that are made by a responsible company that isn't going to cut corners on proper processing. 

I found a link to a survey of fish oil makers and some links to other studies; it might be helpful. 

https://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536 

I take a plant-based DHA supplement to avoid that conundrum. :)

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • imagelite-bright:

From what I understand, unless the fish oil goes through a special purification process, there's the possibility it may contain mercury. Mercury accumulates in fishes' fat, and that's what's used to make fish oil pills. 

But the FDA doesn't regulate OTC supplements like that, so it seems like quality control is pretty much up to each company. It's a good supplement to take, but it's worthwhile to do some research on what kind of fish is used to make the pill and make sure you're getting good quality ingredients that are made by a responsible company that isn't going to cut corners on proper processing. 

I found a link to a survey of fish oil makers and some links to other studies; it might be helpful. 

https://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536 

I take a plant-based DHA supplement to avoid that conundrum. :)

Exactly.

Fish get DHA from algae they eat.  DHA supplements that are designed for pg women are derived from plant-based, non-fish sources to avoid potential mercury contamination.  I think it was Dr. Oz I saw who actually generally recommends plant-based DHA supplements irregardless of pg, and the extra nice part is no fish after taste.  ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"