3rd Trimester

Heart Racing at night?

For the past few nights I've noticed that every time I lay on my left side, my heart begins to race and I get short of breath. Needless to say, while I'm awake, I've stopped laying on that side.

Unfortunately, I turn over a lot in my sleep, and now this heart racing thing is waking me up. It's a relatively new occurrence, but it's been pretty steady for the past 4 or 5 nights. Anybody else deal with this? Anything I can do to make it stop?

I'm exhausted!

Re: Heart Racing at night?

• I have the exact same problem and my OB told me it's just all that extra blood pumping around and its nothing to worry about.  It did freak me out though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i have that too..it's tachycardia..and very common during the third tri but should be fleeting. if it happens for an extended duration you might want to mention it to your OB.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLuciddream328:
    I have the exact same problem and my OB told me it's just all that extra blood pumping around and its nothing to worry about.  It did freak me out though!

Yep- this exactly. We talked about this during childbirth class, it freaked me out the first time it happened to me! I was glad to find out it was normal! 

• my heart races but i can't attribute it to a sleeping position. it can happen when i'm sitting down relaxing.

• My heart races all the time. Sadly its just another lovely pregnancy symptom.
  • It takes an act of Congress for me to shift positions these days... Once my hip starts hurting enough to wake me up, I just get up & pee, and then get back in bed, lying on my other side.  

I'm so ready for this kid to be out.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My heart does that and then I also get short of breath. I mentioned it to my Dr. (who is conservative) and he is sending me for an EKG, echo cardiogram, and I have to wear a monitor for 24hrs just to make sure everything is fine. Maybe just mention it to your Dr. Like I mentioned, mine is conservative and such and he's not worried because he said its common.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hello!

I've had similar experience myself, but I also take medication for Hashimoto's Hypothyroid. I can see where it's one of those "normal" parts of pregnancy due to the increased blood volume, but it is scary at times. Maybe ask to check your thydoid leves just as a precaution. Hyperthyroid is more risky than Hypo, I don't mean to cause any worry. All the prego hormones change so many aspects of our systems, I would just put that idea out there just as a precaution. Lord know they take all kinds of samples for everything else! LOL! With my Hypothyroid I have to go for monthly screening to make sure my levels are in a safe range to support the baby and myself.

Hope you find some relief and answers soon. Lack of sleep isn't fun at all. Good luck to you and your wee-one!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"