Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

XP: 21 m/o STILL on the bottle

I've been trying on and off to get him off of the bottle since 12 months.  He drinks juice & water out of a sippy all day long, but will only drink milk out of a bottle.  If I give him milk in a sippy, he cries and refuses to drink it.  I've tried warming it up (like his bottles have always been).  I've tried chocolate milk, and believe it or not, he DOESN'T like chocolate milk! 

I've also tried different types of sippys (like the silicone ones), straws, etc.  Nothing has worked.

Is there any real harm to letting him have a bottle a little longer?  The pedi had told us he wanted him off the bottle by 15 months at the latest.  He gets milk in a bottle once in the morning and once in the evening.

TIA for your advice!

Re: XP: 21 m/o STILL on the bottle

• This probably won't be the most popular opinion, but I say just don't give it to him. I mean, sure he'll cry and scream in the beginning, but once he realizes you aren't going to give in, then he'll eventually take the sippy. Especially if he likes his milk. The key is to not give in. You know he's not hurt, he's just mad, and he'll get over it.
  • imageBrit&Nate:
    This probably won't be the most popular opinion, but I say just don't give it to him. I mean, sure he'll cry and scream in the beginning, but once he realizes you aren't going to give in, then he'll eventually take the sippy. Especially if he likes his milk. The key is to not give in. You know he's not hurt, he's just mad, and he'll get over it.

I agree.... DD threw her cup for a few days and then gave in. It is going to be a battle of the wills just hold out! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBrit&Nate:
    This probably won't be the most popular opinion, but I say just don't give it to him. I mean, sure he'll cry and scream in the beginning, but once he realizes you aren't going to give in, then he'll eventually take the sippy. Especially if he likes his milk. The key is to not give in. You know he's not hurt, he's just mad, and he'll get over it.

Hmmm, this is what i thought you were supposed to do??? I'm not an expert, but I thought at some point you have to get tough. IDK, DS couldn't care less about the bottle but if I was in your boat, I would of course explore my options but after awhile, I'd think you'd just have to take it away...

• imageBrit&Nate:

I was going to say the same thing.

• what brit said.  if he's thirsty he'll drink his milk however you give it to him.
  • Thanks girls.  I was thinking I'd probably have to go cold turkey with him.  I've heard a story or two where the kid just stops drinking milk altogether, and that's what scares me...but I'm sure those occurrences are few and far between...I just have to get tough I guess!
  • imageScuba_Girl:
    Thanks girls.  I was thinking I'd probably have to go cold turkey with him.  I've heard a story or two where the kid just stops drinking milk altogether, and that's what scares me...but I'm sure those occurrences are few and far between...I just have to get tough I guess!

Hang in there. He won't stop drinking milk. I would guess that is SUPER rare. He'll be mad, but then he'll get thirsty :) 

• its tough....i know

we just went cold turkey at 22 months because i would still give in once/day.  i ended up just washing and putting away the bottle so it would be way more work to make up a bottle for him.  he really did fine once i quit it for him.  he only drinks milk out of a regular cup with a straw (no sippy cups for milk).  good luck!

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• i pretty much think what brit said and what everyone is saying is pretty f'in shiitty.
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• I am in the same boat my DS still loves his bottles.  He has no issues with sippy cups whatsoever his issue is his teeth when hes teething he wants the damn bottle.  I asked the pedi at his last checkup he said to pick and choose the battles and yes we should eventually go cold turkey and pick a weekend and he will be crying but he will get over it.

He also told us that right now that the bottle is comforting to him with his teething.  Hes cutting his bottom molars and his bottom incisors.  I can tell the days his teeth dont bother him because he doesnt want bottles and when they are its all he wants.  UGGH.

• Since your DC is almost two, I'd have to agree at this point to just go cold turkey and he'll eventually drink milk again. I am no 12 months and the bottle has to be gone person by any means. DD just dropped her last bottle a couple weeks ago at 15 1/2 months old. My personal comfort level with the bottle is about 18 months being the upper age.

• Brendan is still on the bottle too, but b/c he needs the calories.  At any rate to get him to also drink regular milk we mixed milk with the formula, have you tried that and put it in a sippy?  He's only getting 2 bottles a day?  I wouldn't be too worried about it it's not like he is going to go to kindergarten with a bottle.  
  • image*KatieH*:
    Brendan is still on the bottle too, but b/c he needs the calories.  At any rate to get him to also drink regular milk we mixed milk with the formula, have you tried that and put it in a sippy?  He's only getting 2 bottles a day?  I wouldn't be too worried about it it's not like he is going to go to kindergarten with a bottle.  

this. i dont understand what the problem is. i really don't. 

he wants it for comfort. would you take away a lovey? no of course not. so why would you take away his bottle?

13 galveston1

• lol Punk as much as you want to dislike me I think our parenting styles are probably similar.  I just don't get the harm in letting them stay kids/babies for a bit longer. Everyone is in such a rush for them to grow up...not me! 
  • imagepunkfiction_v.3:

image*KatieH*:
    Brendan is still on the bottle too, but b/c he needs the calories.  At any rate to get him to also drink regular milk we mixed milk with the formula, have you tried that and put it in a sippy?  He's only getting 2 bottles a day?  I wouldn't be too worried about it it's not like he is going to go to kindergarten with a bottle.  

he wants it for comfort. would you take away a lovey? no of course not. so why would you take away his bottle?

see i agree with you Punk but of course society thinks a kid with a bottle over a certain age is ridiculous.  He self weaned at 13 months and then the molars kicked in and that was it once that happened he needed that comfort of the bottle.  I felt like we were going backwards.  But now i am like whatever if he needs it to feel better so be it.  It wont be forever.

• image*KatieH*:
    lol Punk as much as you want to dislike me I think our parenting styles are probably similar.  I just don't get the harm in letting them stay kids/babies for a bit longer. Everyone is in such a rush for them to grow up...not me! 

lol the other day i said "katieh, katieh, why does that sound familiar? do i like her? ehhh i think so. wait.. what happened?" and then i laughed bc i couldn't remember why i remembered your name in a "hmmm" way. but i agree with you. 

i can't stand the "but my pedi said..." or "but everyone ELSE has their kid off a bottle..."

13 galveston1

• imageRobynandJason05/06:
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:

image*KatieH*:

see i agree with you Punk but of course society thinks a kid with a bottle over a certain age is ridiculous.  He self weaned at 13 months and then the molars kicked in and that was it once that happened he needed that comfort of the bottle.  I felt like we were going backwards.  But now i am like whatever if he needs it to feel better so be it.  It wont be forever.

exactly. F them to be honest. your ds wants a bottle bc it makes him feel good. what is the difference between that and a teddy bear? not a damn thing.

13 galveston1

• Someone mentioned teething...my DS is teething right now too...getting his eye teeth and one of his front ones.  He's a late teether (didn't start until 12 months).  If it helps comfort him while teething maybe I'll wait until he's done teething.

My DD was off the bottle at 12 months and never looked back.  I gave her a sippy and she was like, "okay, sure."  She was so easy to switch over.  I know I shouldn't be comparing them though, because kids are all different...

My DS also has a favorite blanket and I would never take that thing away!  He won't sleep without it.  He can go to college with it if he wants, LOL.

I guess I shouldn't be in a rush, the only thing I really fear is that the longer I wait, the harder it will be to get rid of the bottle.

• imagepunkfiction_v.3:

image*KatieH*:
    lol Punk as much as you want to dislike me I think our parenting styles are probably similar.  I just don't get the harm in letting them stay kids/babies for a bit longer. Everyone is in such a rush for them to grow up...not me! 

lol the other day i said "katieh, katieh, why does that sound familiar? do i like her? ehhh i think so. wait.. what happened?" and then i laughed bc i couldn't remember why i remembered your name in a "hmmm" way. but i agree with you. 

i can't stand the "but my pedi said..." or "but everyone ELSE has their kid off a bottle..."

lol the one day of Mulva you lumped me in with everyone who went to theknot ...but I don't know why lol. I haven't posted there in years.  

• imageScuba_Girl:

I guess I shouldn't be in a rush, the only thing I really fear is that the longer I wait, the harder it will be to get rid of the bottle.

bah. the longer you wait, the easier it is to barter ;)

13 galveston1

• DS is off the bottle now, but he never fed himself so never got attached. That was one good thing about having to bottle feed him myself. But I was under the impression it was bad for their teeth.

• imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageScuba_Girl:

bah. the longer you wait, the easier it is to barter ;)

Hmm...why didn't I think of that?  That's how we got rid of the pacifier with my DD (at age 2 1/2 - lol).

• imageexhausted_bride:

DS is off the bottle now, but he never fed himself so never got attached. That was one good thing about having to bottle feed him myself. But I was under the impression it was bad for their teeth.

if he is falling asleep with the bottle, then she can transition it to water (which could also help him break it).

13 galveston1

• imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageexhausted_bride:

DS is off the bottle now, but he never fed himself so never got attached. That was one good thing about having to bottle feed him myself. But I was under the impression it was bad for their teeth.

if he is falling asleep with the bottle, then she can transition it to water (which could also help him break it).

He's never gone to bed with a bottle, he has it about a half hour before I put him to bed.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone!

• imageScuba_Girl:
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageexhausted_bride:

He's never gone to bed with a bottle, he has it about a half hour before I put him to bed.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone!

oh pffftttt!!! do not break that baby's heart. :) give him time. <3

13 galveston1

• Thanks punk...I think I will give him a little more time.  When he's a few months older I just may be able to reason with him...  ;-)
  • Have you tried giving it to him in a cup?  It might be a new adventure for him if he hasn't been drinking from a cup already.  At 21 month, he should be ready to at least try.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    i pretty much think what brit said and what everyone is saying is pretty f'in shiitty.

Agreed.

• I haven't ever posted on this board - but was lurking tonight - and THIS post has inspired me to de-lurk - and e-hug Punk.  And KatieH.  Thank you ladies.  For saying exactly how I feel.  It's not bottle-palooza over here - but a morning and a night-time bottle is no big deal in my book - well past 12 months old.  Who cares?  

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"