Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

I am beginning to think I am the only one on this board...

who is not going all out and getting Brock like every popular thing for toddlers this christmas. All he is probably getting is a couple tonka trucks and a bunch of matchbox cars/ hot wheels. (He looooooves playing cars and trucks with his daddy)

Dh and I are totally taking advantage of the fact the this is the last year Brock has no clue what is "supposed" to go on at Christmas. lol

We haven't even bought him anything for christmas yet.

Re: I am beginning to think I am the only one on this board...

• um  sawyer is barely getting anything ::paranoia:: a few puzzles, some blocks, ehhh...
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Oh, us too. I want the tree really full so I'll be buying clothes for next year, diapers, sippy cups and *some* toys. Yeah, I'm not spending more than a little bit on toys. I'm right there with ya!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with you.  DD just had a birthday a few weeks back and got so much crap.  I plan on knitting her a sweater, sewing a crayon roll, and filling her stocking with things she needs...sippy cups, a mirror for the car, etc.  I don't want to buy stuff just to buy stuff, you know?
  • DH and I aren't going all out this year either. She's getting a lot of smaller items (although we did get an easel for an awesome deal!). I'm actually very proud of the deals I've gotten for her :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We haven't bought a single thing for Lyla yet. I'm sure we'll come up with a couple small things (books, etc) so we have something to put under the tree from mommy and daddy. But she has very generous grandparents, so I openly admit I'm relying on them to pick up my slack. :)
  • We're taking advantage of that fact as well. We bought him a few small things. The IL's and my mom are going to be the main gift givers since we're a little strapped this year anyway. You're not alone!
  • imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    um  sawyer is barely getting anything ::paranoia:: a few puzzles, some blocks, ehhh...

i just can't do it. I can't buy him a ton of stuff knowing he wont care or appreciate it for more than 5 min. 

• We are doing the same thing. He won't know the difference this year. I got him some books already but he probably won't get too much more. We have plenty of years ahead of us for "I want :this: and :this: oh and :this:."
  • We aren't doing any of the "popular" items either. IMO my DD is just too young for alot of the things people are getting their kids (play kitchen, etc) I think she'll like these things closer to like 3.
  • Liliana isn't getting a big present. She's just getting stocking stuffers. Oops.

We're traveling for Christmas and will be bringing a crap ton of crap from DH's parents and siblings, etc.  

• I am with you...Brendan is getting a couple things  but we aren't going crazy.   We have to take all the stuff with us to Philly and then lug it all back to MD. Either way he will only pay attention long enough to open a couple things.   So far we have a bead cube thing, fridge phonics, little tikes workbench, mega blocks, books, puzzle.  We plan on getting him a truck and a couple small things but that is it.  
  • No, you're not the only one.

DS is getting clothes and a potty.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageDelGrecoBride:

imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    um  sawyer is barely getting anything ::paranoia:: a few puzzles, some blocks, ehhh...

i just can't do it. I can't buy him a ton of stuff knowing he wont care or appreciate it for more than 5 min. 

i understand. and plus i have aidan who thinks everything is for her anyway. lol so she'll just adopt sawyer's stuff as her own and sawyer will be happy with a box :)

aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Uh...no you aren't the only one.  We can't afford all the cool things this year so she is getting  toy shopping cart I got from Walmart for 10 bucks and some play food. She is also getting a bowling set that I got from Target last friday for 7 bucks.  The only other things she will get is clothes which she desperately needs. Everyone else is doing the spoiling.  She has no clue anyway. I don't feel that we need to go all out and give her 50 presents when she has no clue what Christmas even is.
  • Nope, same here. We've gotten DD a few books and a $5 'blanket buddy' frog/blanket combo thing, but I'd picked those up just because, then decided to hold onto them until Christmas.

We'll get her a few other little things to open, but we're not going nuts either. Plenty of time for that later.

• Charlie isn't getting much either. We are doing things he really "needs" like toy organizers and clothes.  He has too many toys as it is!
  • really thoug....when it comes down to it. I think the only real reason we are getting him anything at all is so when he is older he can't say we sucked as parents when he was this age. HAHA

oh and we need some good pictures too.

• imagekelbrian:

We're traveling for Christmas and will be bringing a crap ton of crap from DH's parents and siblings, etc.  

Same with us. I'm not sure I'm going to buy her anything actually.

• I'm not really sure how to respond to these "Am I the only one" posts. So I'll go with "yes, yes you are the ONLY ONE who is not buying a variety of bump-popular toys this Christmas."Everyone else is hell bent on destroying their finances, raising vile spendy selfish spoiled brats, and spitting on Jesus and all the holiday represents because they want a little people airport for 15.99.

image Josephine is 4.
  • I'm scratching together gift ideas for DD at this point because my mom got her so much, there weren't really any good choices left. lol

I'm finding a million stocking stuffers but hardly any actual gifts. lol So far I think I got her 2 wooden puzzles, a Doodle Pro, and 2 LeapFrog toys...

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelanie30:

I'm not really sure how to respond to these "Am I the only one" posts. So I'll go with "yes, yes you are the ONLY ONE who is not buying a variety of bump-popular toys this Christmas."Everyone else is hell bent on destroying their finances, raising vile spendy selfish spoiled brats, and spitting on Jesus and all the holiday represents because they want a little people airport for 15.99.

eh - whatever.

but really....i never really saw anyone post about how they aren't getting their LO much for xmas...i always see posts about "OMG! i have to stop buying toys for xmas!"

• I'm with everyone else in this thread.  I got DD a tricycle that I can push.  That's really it, plus some usable stocking stuffers.  I figure other family will be getting a bunch of stuff.  She doesn't realize its not from mommy and daddy.  Stick out tongue
  • imagelanie30:

I'm not really sure how to respond to these "Am I the only one" posts. So I'll go with "yes, yes you are the ONLY ONE who is not buying a variety of bump-popular toys this Christmas."Everyone else is hell bent on destroying their finances, raising vile spendy selfish spoiled brats, and spitting on Jesus and all the holiday represents because they want a little people airport for 15.99.

It was 19.99 Wink

Momma to three boys: Henry - 4yo Alex - 18mo Jack - born 2/23/12 at 20w due to ruptured uterus (previa and accreta resulting in hysterectomy) He only lived here on Earth for an hour, but he will live in our hearts forever. m/c #1: sept '09, m/c #2: july '10
  • I've seen at least 5 in the past 2 days. Most with the title "Am I the only one?" Yours was decidedly less self righteous than a few. Some had the add on "the only one who wants to celebrate what christmas is REALLY about?"

image Josephine is 4.
  • Us either. We have no room this year and the grandparents spoil him. He will have only a few presents to open this Christmas. He prefers non-toys to toys anyway.
  • I spend $50 each on all three of my kids. I'm a newly single Mom and just can't afford a big fancy Christmas for them. I'm glad that my 2 youngest don't know any better and that my oldest is very understanding of my current financial situation.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Since I stay at home with Jack, we got all things to help keep us busy.  Puzzles, trucks, books... stuff like that :) 
  • I honestly have no clue what the "popular" things are this year. We're just planning on some mega blocks, a couple puzzles, and something that he can maybe climb and slide on.
  • imagelanie30:

I've seen at least 5 in the past 2 days. Most with the title "Am I the only one?" Yours was decidedly less self righteous than a few. Some had the add on "the only one who wants to celebrate what christmas is REALLY about?"

ah...i see.

and those always make me laugh.

but i swear no self righteousness was intended! 

•  He has everything he could ever need-so we bought him the police car cozy coupe (because he loved it), some wooden blocks (for us to play with :) Mr. Potato head, the crayola dance pad, and I got him a little people set today.

He is also getting a booster seat as well.

These gifts will all come out and say hi on Christmas, and then be put away until March or so.

• We kind of went "all out" in the fact that we turned our spare room into DD's big girl room. So she's getting a new bed, dresser, and toy storage area. I also bought her some size 18m clothes & an easel. She's already seen it all, but since it's technically her "Christmas present" we aren't going to transition her into her new bed until Christmas Eve. She will get a few puzzles and some new books on Christmas morning, but that's it. We will wait until next year to get her real toys and the "fun" stuff. This year it's mostly practical things she's going to need anyway.
  • Nope. Not the only one. Most of the stuff for Seb comes from my mom. Downside- I'm paying out the butt for import charges. :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageGin*In*TN:
    We kind of went "all out" in the fact that we turned our spare room into DD's big girl room. So she's getting a new bed, dresser, and toy storage area. I also bought her some size 18m clothes & an easel. She's already seen it all, but since it's technically her "Christmas present" we aren't going to transition her into her new bed until Christmas Eve. She will get a few puzzles and some new books on Christmas morning, but that's it. We will wait until next year to get her real toys and the "fun" stuff. This year it's mostly practical things she's going to need anyway.

oh but thats fun stuff!

• No, of course not!  I am pretty strict with the toys that are brought into the house because I'm a home organizer and hate the clutter, so we don't have a lot of toys.  DD specifically asked Santa to bring her a bike, some Play-doh, and some colors.  We got her:

a Fisher-Price trike (I couldn't bring myself, after much research, to spend more than the $29.99 this one cost)

a small table and chairs set so she can start eating at a table and not a high chair, and for projects/arts and crafts (on sale)

a shopping cart and some play food (on sale)

Leap Frog fridge phonics (on sale)

some Crayons and some big floor coloring pads (she LOVES to color)

the rest are stocking stuffers: toothbrushes, snacks, toothpaste, tub crayons, coloring books, some stickers, and play-doh.  

• DD got clothes and new sippies lol. She's one and gets spoiled by her grandparents. I'm not getting her anything trendy at all. DH wants to get her some mega bloks but I think those are mostly for him haha.
    2 losses
    2 beautiful children
    proud mommy!
  • imageDelGrecoBride:

oh but thats fun stuff!

It is fun stuff. Especially for me. I loved painting everything and making it all pretty and getting all of the decorations and such. She does love the easel and her new bed. But there's also a possibility we might be moving sometime after #2 is born, so I really don't want to stock up on a ton of toys and games and things with lots of tiny little pieces that we'll have to pack up in 8 months. 

• We got DD A stuffed animal and a hockey goal set. That's it. A few puzzles too. What are the popular toddler gifts?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"