3rd Trimester

35 weeks and 3 1/2 centimeters dilated~ A few questions

I am 35 weeks pregnant and I went in for my appt today and found out I am 3 1/2 centimeters dilated.  I have been having low back pain and painful cramping, like menstrual cramps for the past week or so. The doc said she could feel her head as well.  Major tightening in my stomach along with the cramps.  Is this the beginning of the end?  Or could I go on like this for another month?  I just want to know what is normal.  This is my first pregnancy.

Re: 35 weeks and 3 1/2 centimeters dilated~ A few questions

• Did your doc not say anything? It's hard to say without knowing if you're having BH or "real" contractions.

Theoretically, you could walk around at 3+ centimeters for weeks.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really depends. You can go tomorrow or you can be like this for weeks. Dilation without labor doesn't really indicate when you'll go into labor. However, you have more of a chance than others of not making it til your due date.

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• Loading the player...
  • imagejenny1980:

Did your doc not say anything? It's hard to say without knowing if you're having BH or "real" contractions.

Theoretically, you could walk around at 3+ centimeters for weeks.

Ditto. Did you mention the cramping and low back pain to your doc?  Those are signs of PTL.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Well I asked her and she said the same thing... You could have the baby at any time, or you could be like this for weeks.  When I asked her what her opinion was, she just dodged the question like doctors do.  Don't want to slip their opinion just in case they are wrong...

I'm a little anxious.

• I just sneeked over here from 6-12 to see if there were any questions like this, hope you don't mind. I refused to be "checked" for dilatation for that very reason, being dialated at the end of the day means nothing in terms of when your baby is actually ready to be delivered. OBYNs and MW's are always quick to say, "you're xyz dialated which means you could go at any time" when really being XYZ dialated could mean that you remain that way for 6 more weeks. HOWEVER, 3 1/2 seems high for how "early" you still are. What I can tell you is that BH vs the real thing felt totally different for me, granted my water broke (in an obvious way) before any labor pains actually hit so I may be wrong in that assumption as well. If the pain gets to a point where its hard to talk through, its likely you're  in labor, but if you have absolutely any reservations about it and you think it might be happening, please please please call your OBGYN or MW immediately. They are in a profession where they realize they don't stop their day when they hang up the white coat and leave for the evening. They EXPECT phone calls like this, and also keep in mind that low amniotic fluid is a real risk and leaking can occur very slowly and go unnoticed by you so getting evaluated is ALWAYS ALWAYS (can I reiterate?) ALWAYS your best option. GL! HTH!
  • imagebabykarns:

Well I asked her and she said the same thing... You could have the baby at any time, or you could be like this for weeks.  When I asked her what her opinion was, she just dodged the question like doctors do.  Don't want to slip their opinion just in case they are wrong...

I'm a little anxious.

I'm still not clear. Did you tell her about the cramping/low back pain? Was she concerned you were contracting at all?

When in doubt, call your doc.

• It could really go either way.

And my normal PSA to everyone, BH and real contractions can feel like the same thing.

If you are already contracting, then you could still progress. The rate of progression is unclear. If he sent you home without meds or pelvic/bed rest, then he probably thinks you're okay - even if you go into labor now. Definitely call if any of your symptoms get worse and really pay attention to your body.

• imageJinglesChic:
    I really depends. You can go tomorrow or you can be like this for weeks. Dilation without labor doesn't really indicate when you'll go into labor. However, you have more of a chance than others of not making it til your due date.

Jingles is today really your scheduled c-section?! If so, good luck!

• I'm 36 weeks and dilated to 1.  It sounds like you are doing pretty well. 
    www.mvstephenson.wordpress.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 36 weeks and 3 cm. and 90% effaced.  Found out on Monday.  I have had PTL issues and have been dilated since week 29.  The Dr. is probably not too concerned as you are at least at 35 weeks.  She is probably hoping you will get to 36-37.  That is what my Dr. has been telling me.  There is really no way to know if when labor will arrive though!  If you have timeable contractions 5 min. apart or your water breaks you need to call.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"