3rd Trimester

I'm afraid Drama is going to happen over my having leave coming...

So, I just talked to my boss and he knows NOTHING about FMLA and Maternity leave, I'm pretty much having to educate him on it.  Well, we talked about it a few months ago on what my plans were at that time, and now he wants to talk about it again since its getting closer to that time.  That's fine...then he says "We just need to make sure that it will work out for everyone."  Indifferent WHAT, no I'm entitled to this time and I can take it whether it works out for my co-worker or not....I don't think he gets that fact. (I didn't say that to him tho, just thought it) So I offered to have HR at the meeting with us (he hates getting HR involved with ANYTHING) I haven't heard back yet since he's doing a lot of running around the building right now.  But still, if he thinks that he can decide when I come back, he's got another thing coming, I get 12 weeks and I'm coming back part time for the last few weeks just to be nice (and get money during my unpaid part too).  I guess I'll just have to see what happens and how much drama unfolds...I'll keep you posted.

Re: I'm afraid Drama is going to happen over my having leave coming...

• So he thinks this is a negotiation?? Hmmph! I think not!

• Maybe he just means for you to work out a plan so that your work is evenly distributed or that your back up knows what to do while you are out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Just got the email back...just as I thought, he wants nothing to do with HR.
  • Wow, how in the world are you taking off 12 weeks?  I wish I could do that.  I have to come back part time on my 4th week (if doc allows me to) so I can make some money!  I only get 3 weeks paid, which is my allotted PTO time for the whole year.
  • Oh yeah, definitely school him on it.

I had a boss in high school. I worked 44 hours one week and she tried to tell me that she'd carry the extra 4 hours to the next week. I told her that was fine as long as I still got my time and a half. She was SHOCKED that I knew what I was talking about and tried to deny it.

Get your time, girl!?

• imageinlovewow:
    Wow, how in the world are you taking off 12 weeks?  I wish I could do that.  I have to come back part time on my 4th week (if doc allows me to) so I can make some money!  I only get 3 weeks paid, which is my allotted PTO time for the whole year.

FMLA requires employers to give you 12 weeks off (unpaid) for the birth of your child and other things too after you have worked there for a year...and this is per year. 

I also get Short Term disability which will cover at least 6 weeks of my FMLA (possibly 8 depending on what the doctor says after delivery).  So I'm gaurenteed that time off PAID.  Then I'm using one week of FTO for get paid, one week unpaid, and then the rest of it I would be back part time (though I could just take it as unpaid time off with FMLA). 

If your in the USA you should really look into FMLA, you legally should get FMLA, as long as your employer has over 50 emloyees (I think that's the number).

• imagehdmill04:
    Just got the email back...just as I thought, he wants nothing to do with HR.

Don't hesitate to bring HR in the loop now. Meet with them separately if your boss won't include them in your meeting.

• I would get HR involved right from the start...it's not something for your boss to "decide" on and it's really an HR issue anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageduchessII81:

imagehdmill04:
    Just got the email back...just as I thought, he wants nothing to do with HR.

Don't hesitate to bring HR in the loop now. Meet with them separately if your boss won't include them in your meeting.

Already been doing that...that's how I'm able to school the 'teacher' (boss) on the matter.  If anything comes up and he tries to fight me on it HR WILL be involved with BOTH of us, and I'll win!! Stick out tongue

• imageinlovewow:
    Wow, how in the world are you taking off 12 weeks?  I wish I could do that.  I have to come back part time on my 4th week (if doc allows me to) so I can make some money!  I only get 3 weeks paid, which is my allotted PTO time for the whole year.

i only get one week paid...Tongue Tied

• imagehdmill04:

imageinlovewow:

FMLA requires employers to give you 12 weeks off (unpaid) for the birth of your child and other things too after you have worked there for a year...and this is per year. 

I also get Short Term disability which will cover at least 6 weeks of my FMLA (possibly 8 depending on what the doctor says after delivery).  So I'm gaurenteed that time off PAID.  Then I'm using one week of FTO for get paid, one week unpaid, and then the rest of it I would be back part time (though I could just take it as unpaid time off with FMLA). 

If your in the USA you should really look into FMLA, you legally should get FMLA, as long as your employer has over 50 emloyees (I think that's the number).

Also there are minimum # of hrs worked with the company that need to be met to qualify as well.  Often its described as a yr+ of full time...(not sure about the specific hrs minimum # though)

• imagehdmill04:

I also get Short Term disability which will cover at least 6 weeks of my FMLA (possibly 8 depending on what the doctor says after delivery).

It probably won't matter what doc says.  My doc recommends at least 8 weeks for all breastfeeding mothers as the minimum amount of time required for recovery from an uncomplicated delivery and establishing a good nursing routine for baby.  Insurance company asks their own doctors, who said 6 weeks for vaginal delivery, 8 for c-section.  period. That was the case with both my first two, using two different insurance companies, and I don't expect it to be any different for this baby.  Makes you wonder why they bother having the doctors fill out all that paperwork if they are going to disregard anything your doc has to say.  *sigh*

imagehdmill04:

Yep, FMLA applies, but if you need to bring in a paycheck, it doesn't help much.  Do ask if your company has short term disability insurance, though, which might cover some of your time off with at least partial pay.  You might look into your local and state laws as well.  The state of New Jersey has a disability plan, for example, but Illinois does not.

• No matter what, you need HR to be involved if any disability is going to be used.  In fact, I would have started with HR instead of my boss. 
  • imagehdmill04:

imageinlovewow:

I think she knows what FMLA is, she was referring more to the financial aspect.  Just because the option is legally there doesn't mean everyone can take full advantage of FMLA if they can't afford it. 

I really always feel bad for those that post that they can only take a few weeks because, and I'm not saying this to try and make anyone feel bad, but it is so hard to go back.  There's no way I would have been able to go back after just a few weeks...3 months was hard enough  :(

I would definitely just involve HR right away.  Don't give your boss any leeway from the beginning and the whole process will run more smoothly. 

Good luck with that conversation!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"