3rd Trimester

Baby measuring HUGE - please help

We had our 36 week growth ultrasound today, and LO is measuring enormous.  All measurements they took are greater than 97th percentile and estimated current weight is 8 pounds 9 ounces.  He's currently measuring at about 40.5 weeks gestation.

I know that ultrasound measurements are notoriously bad this late in pregnancy, and I know that my baby could weigh a fair bit less than that right now - but by all accounts, he's a "big one."

My biggest concern at this point is what happens next with my doctor.  Has anyone had similar measurements and what did your doctor recommend?  The last thing our u/s tech said to us as we were leaving was that we should bring our date books with us to my next doctor's appointment because with this size we would most likely not be going another 4 weeks.  The thought of induction and/or c-section being brought up this early really bothers me - based on something that's not at all scientific (particularly since I'd really like as few interventions as possible.)  My doctor's appointment is not until this Friday.

Any similar stories or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!  TIA.

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012

Re: Baby measuring HUGE - please help

• You look so tiny in your 35 week pic.  Keep in touch with your doc and hope you get good developments.
  • No advice for you - but good luck - you will be in my thoughts on Friday!  Your Berner baby is gorgeous - boy or girl?  I have to 5 yr old boys myself!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an U/S late too and they said my LO was also larger than the 97th percentile. They sent me for an U/S 2 weeks later, and my LO was measuring right on track.

u/s measurements can be off by 10 ounces or more (this is directly quoted from my u/s technician) and this is usually the case.

Someone posted a birth story on here earlier about being told they were having a 9lb baby and their lo weighed 6lbs 6oz.

i wouldn't freak out too much about it. your body won't normally grow a baby that you can't handle.

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• imagewallycat:
    No advice for you - but good luck - you will be in my thoughts on Friday!  Your Berner baby is gorgeous - boy or girl?  I have to 5 yr old boys myself!

He's a boy - and he's definitely our first "baby."  Thanks for your well wishes!

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • My LO is measuring large too. not as large as yours but my dr. mentioned induction and c-section this was before the U/S and I haven't seen my dr. again yet. LO was measuring right at about 8 but I was 37 weeks.. All I can say is it is your body and ulimately your decision what happens too it! I have anticipated a big baby my whole PG and will tell my dr. I do not want to be induced or have a c-section untill after my due date. Your choice is all that should matter in the end unless there is a danger to your LO or you.
  • Same thing here. At 35 weeks Lo measured at 39 weeks and 8lb14oz.

I dont see my Dr. till tomorrow but I will let you know what she tells me.

• At one point we were measuring 7 weeks ahead! Right now I am only 2 weeks ahead. When he was last measured he was in the 73 percentile which means nothing to me because  I don't know anything about it. I am 5'7 and the hubs is 6'5 so i am expecting our son to be gian. So far i am up 43 lbs  and my body hurts all over. When LO moves it hurts so monitoring his kicks is not hard... good luck to you. my doc told me to walk walk walk and have sex to induce!
  • FYI:: Growth ultrasounds can be way off!!  They told my best friend she was having a 9-10 lb baby and she went into labor last night and delivered a 7 lb baby!!!!!!  We were all sooo shocked bc they were so sure her son was going to be huge, but he was tiny!!!!

Good luck!!

• I don't have any advice either, but am hoping someone does because I am in a similar situation. I had an ultrasound yesterday and baby was measuring at 37 1/2 weeks (3 weeks ahead)  and is currently just under 7lbs with 5 1/2 weeks until my due date.  My tech also said she would be surprised if my doctor let me go all the way to my due date which makes me nervous.
  • You do look tiny in your picture! My SIL had a huge baby, he was 9lbs 11oz at birth. But she was also looking HUGE at 36 weeks though. Do you have any other growth u/s scheduled? Sometimes I think the techs mess up. I've had several growth u/s this pregnancy and a few of the techs just seemed sloppy in getting the measurements right. Is there a certain body part that is measuring the largest? I know my baby has a big head and it throws the weight number off some.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FWIW, my doc said the best predictor of a baby's size is the size of parents at birth.  Were you or your DH very large babies?  If not, then yes the general belief is that your body won't grow a baby too large to deliver.  It happens - but very, very rarely. 

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Did the tech tell you the margin of error on the measurement? I had one and was told the margin of error was +/- 10% and baby was measuring 52nd percentile, so either way, my baby would not be huge or tiny. I'll let you know because my water broke this morning!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the estimate can be way off. Today we went in for our 38 wk u/s and they told us that he was already 7lbs 15oz.  I was freaking out until I talked to a lady with a new baby in the waiting room... she said that they induced her because they thought her baby was 10 lbs. He came out right at 7lbs at delivery.
  • imageLoriSTi:
    You do look tiny in your picture! My SIL had a huge baby, he was 9lbs 11oz at birth. But she was also looking HUGE at 36 weeks though. Do you have any other growth u/s scheduled? Sometimes I think the techs mess up. I've had several growth u/s this pregnancy and a few of the techs just seemed sloppy in getting the measurements right. Is there a certain body part that is measuring the largest? I know my baby has a big head and it throws the weight number off some.

I asked the u/s tech if any of his measurements were larger than the others - and she said all 4 were above 97th percentile.  (2 head measurements, an abdominal measurement, and the length of his femur.)  No more ultrasounds scheduled right now, but that may change depending on what my doc says about all of this on Friday . . .

• I know several people who were told this and were induced just to have 6/7lb babies.  If you do not feel comfortable with induction or a planned c-section and there is no risk other than a possible size then I would fight it.  It is very rare that your body would produce a baby you can't push out based on weight.

I'm not sure why they do growth u/s unless there is a medical reason, it seems to just scare people.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageepphd:
    FWIW, my doc said the best predictor of a baby's size is the size of parents at birth.  Were you or your DH very large babies?  If not, then yes the general belief is that your body won't grow a baby too large to deliver.  It happens - but very, very rarely. 

I was on the smaller size of average (6 pounds 15 ounces), and DH was on the larger side of average (9 pounds 3 ounces).  So while DH wasn't small, he certainly wasn't big enough for us to think this baby would be quite as large as it seems like he might be.

Thanks for the logical reminder - both to you and one of the previous posters - that my body can probably handle whatever it happens to be doing right now.  :)

• imagejinnymb:

I know several people who were told this and were induced just to have 6/7lb babies.  If you do not feel comfortable with induction or a planned c-section and there is no risk other than a possible size then I would fight it.  It is very rare that your body would produce a baby you can't push out based on weight.

I'm not sure why they do growth u/s unless there is a medical reason, it seems to just scare people.

I said the exact same thing to DH on the way home!  My doctor does a 36 week u/s across the board for everyone and I wish I had refused it.  

• my friend just had her daughter 8 days early because of this and she was still 10 lbs 5 oz... more than likely they will let you go....
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We did a growth u/s yesterday and LO is est to be 8lbs (93%).  Since big babies run in my family (I was 9.5, DH was 7.5 and early), we've talked about him being big.  I'm prepared, but that doesn't mean I like it!  My doc is more worried about me trying to deliver him and ending up with an emergency c/s.

So, I'm going to do everything in my power to get him out soon and if he's still there in 4 weeks she said we'll talk about a c/s.  I don't feel like I look tiny.  Most people who see me think I'm due tomorrow or something.

Good luck.  Bottom line is that it's your decision - you have to be comfortable with it.

• My dr predicted I would have a 10 lb baby, we bought a carseat to accommodate a big baby and let word get out that we were having a big baby before our shower, we got tons of 3-6 month size clothes we were prepared.  Yeah ds was born at 6 lb 8oz. At 20 months he would have just grown out of his infant seat and he was born in march and did not fit in to the larger clothes until the following fall.  Moral of the story U/S and Drs can be very wrong about size, in general babies are proportionate to the size of their parents.
  • imageTiffany3119:
    My dr predicted I would have a 10 lb baby, we bought a carseat to accommodate a big baby and let word get out that we were having a big baby before our shower, we got tons of 3-6 month size clothes we were prepared.  Yeah ds was born at 6 lb 8oz. At 20 months he would have just grown out of his infant seat and he was born in march and did not fit in to the larger clothes until the following fall.  Moral of the story U/S and Drs can be very wrong about size, in general babies are proportionate to the size of their parents.

this can be wrong too... My aunt was 6 lbs her husband was 7 lbs 2 oz their daughter was 2 weeks early at 9lbs 2 oz... due to IF they KNOW when she was conceived

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DS measured 6lbs, 37 weeks, at a 33.5 week growth check.  Freaked me out a little when I did the math to 40 weeks.  My first was 8lbs 9oz, my second, who was expected to be bigger because of GD, was 8lbs on the dot.  #3 was born at 35.5 weeks and was 6lbs 15oz.  So, on track to be bigger than his brothers, I guess, but not much.  Despite being technically preemie, he's been perfectly healthy, though, so have faith in your body to know what it's doing, and your LO should be fine.
  • You can't always trust U/S.  They vary by who does them as well as how advanced the equipment is. 

At 3 of my last ultrasounds: 36, 32 and 22, LO meausured a minimum of 2 weeks ahead. Finally my doctor decided to have me take the gluclose test again to see if maybe I'd developed diabetes since the last one.  Because of a complication scare, we had another appointment at 37 weeks but with a high risk doctor who had MUCH MUCH better u/s equipment.  LO weighed slightly more (7 lbs 3 oz) but she was measuring perfect on for 37 weeks.  Today, OB told me not even to bother with the gluclose test, that LO will be fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No advice, just wanted to compliment you on how great you look and your cute Berner. ;)

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejenny1980:

No advice, just wanted to compliment you on how great you look and your cute Berner. ;)

Ditto to you on Hugo - your siggy pics always make me smile!  :)

• The u/s tech said my godson was over 11 pounds at only 36 wks 5 days, when he was born at 37 wks he was only 6 pounds 2 ounces. His parents didn't have any clothes that would fit him because when they heard how big he was they exchanged all of their newborn outfits for 0-3 months. (Yeah I know, don't ask me why they did) I had to run out and get him a premie outfit just so he would have something to wear home from the hospital, lol. So don't worry too much, and don't get rid of all your smallest clothes Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"