2nd Trimester

Medication question

Happy Friday ladies, I have a quick question. I've been having really bad sinus headaches and sinus pressure (post nasal drip/sore throat). My OBGYN told me I could take Alegra D and Advil or Aleve.  Has anyone else taken these during their pregnancy? Or, has anyone else's doctor okayed them? I get so nervous about taking medications but Tylenol hasn't helped at all. Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Medication question

• I don't know about Alegra D or Aleve but I was told to not take advil....

I've been suffering from alot of headaches (especially after I had a cold) and the only thing I took was tylenol.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My understanding is that Advil is a huge no-no during pregnancy.  And Alegra D is a different med entirely - it's an allergy med, and I thought the D part was a no-no.

I take regular zyrtec (not D).

• Loading the player...
  • I was told Tylenol is fine.  I take 2 extra strength Tylenol (1000mg total) when I have a bad sinus headache.  The only allergy meds I was told are okay are those with Loratadine specifically Claritin.  My OB did not okay Allegra, but he is also more conservative about medication use. I wouldn't take Advil or Aleve either.  Aleve is aspirin and as far as I know, aspirin is not recommended in pregnancy unless it's medically neccessary (as for clotting disorders or something).  Advil is ibuprofen which is also not recommended during pregnancy. 

For me, I steer clear of anything except Tylenol.  I'm paranoid about meds and pregnancy though.  

~Married my best friend J March 2004~ ~Mom to 2 busy boys~C-01.18.08 & L-03.23.10~ ~Due with a little girl 02.06.13~
  • imageShannon11/3:

My understanding is that Advil is a huge no-no during pregnancy.  And Alegra D is a different med entirely - it's an allergy med, and I thought the D part was a no-no.

I take regular zyrtec (not D).

THISYes

• If you absolutely need the D I would do zyrtec, not Allegra.  Allegra D is Rx and you can get Zyrtec D from behind the pharm. 
  • Thanks Ladies! I'll stick with the Tylenol and maybe try regular Zyrtec. I appreciate your input.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Try saline nasal solution. It helped me. In 2nd tri, you can take sudafed and benadryl. Benadryl worked best for me. Also this may sound odd and I was def like I am not doing this at first but it helped. My great grandmother told me to put icyhot on my forehead, not a lot, when I got a sinus headache. It does burn a little just like when you would use it elsewhere but it becomes nice and cool and actually works. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"