3rd Trimester

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Hey mamas!

My sister-in-law called me last night to say that my nephew, who is 2 1/2, just got diagnosed with Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. He ran a temp. the night before, but it wasn't extremely high so they just monitored him. He went to daycare the next day because he was feeling/acting better. When he woke up from his nap, the babysitter said he did nothing but scream. So my brother left work early to get him. He took him home and tried to get him to eat, but all he did was sit at the table and drool all over himself, my brother though he was having a seizure!

Turns out, after going to the ER, that he has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease.

My shower is this Sunday, and my sister-in-law was of course planning on coming. They live out of town, about 3 hours away, and were going to come to my parents for the weekend. Well, now that my nephew has this, they aren't too sure what to do. 

She suggested staying with her parents (they live close to mine) and just dropping off my other nephew, who is 8 months, and the gifts off at my parent's house, so we can spend time with him. I was so looking forward to seeing my nephews this weekend!!

My question is, does anyone know anything about this disease? I have been reading about it online and it says that there is no real treatment, and prevention is just good hygiene. I don't want her to miss my shower if she doesn't really have to... she is just worried that since she is exposed, she will pass it on to me.

Thanks!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

• You might want to call your OB office.  I thought I had it earlier in my pregnancy and they had me do a blood test but never gave me any results so I'm assuming whatever they tested was fine.  I do think that it can be a pretty serious disease for a pregnant woman to get but I don't know if b/c your further along it might not be so bad. 
    www.mvstephenson.wordpress.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagevernab:
    You might want to call your OB office.  I thought I had it earlier in my pregnancy and they had me do a blood test but never gave me any results so I'm assuming whatever they tested was fine.  I do think that it can be a pretty serious disease for a pregnant woman to get but I don't know if b/c your further along it might not be so bad. 

Of course I will take my OBs advice over what I am reading online, but it seems to be saying that pregnant women are fine, that it really shouldn't effect the baby unless I had it while giving birth, then I could pass it on to baby.

I'm calling my OB when they open. I'm assuming that if I stay away from my nephew it'll be fine, so SIL can come to the shower. 

Here's hoping!

• Loading the player...
  • You shouldn't have to much to worry about.  The contagious part was before the outbreak occurred. 

My DS3 had it when he was turning a year old.  Got it from daycare.  It was awful for him.  No one else got it in the house.  

Just make sure to use universal precautions ie: hand washing.  

• My son had this last summer, and from what my pedi said, its not really a big deal.  She said most of us have been exposed to it at some point in time already.  I would call your OB anyway, just in case, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • imagetmhutch:
    My son had this last summer, and from what my pedi said, its not really a big deal.  She said most of us have been exposed to it at some point in time already.  I would call your OB anyway, just in case, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks so much. I am calling just in case, I'm sure they would want to be aware of any possible exposures to anything, but I am sure it'll be fine.

I plan to tell SIL to just keep my nephew at her parent's house, but she and my other nephew can still come to the shower.

Thanks again ladies!!

• imagetmhutch:
    My son had this last summer, and from what my pedi said, its not really a big deal.  She said most of us have been exposed to it at some point in time already.  I would call your OB anyway, just in case, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

This is what I was told as well.

• DS and I both got it.  She can come to your shower, just have her wash her hands a lot.  MOST adults have been exposed to the underlying virus and are immune.  I was one of the exceptions.  I actually didn't know DS had it!  I went to the doctor cause I had some painful bumps on my hand.  I never ran a fever, or had any bumps on my feet or mouth.  I thought DS's symptoms were teething.  It isn't bad for every kid, and apparently it is common not to know you've had it.  HOWEVER - the virus stays active for a LONG time, so her son will be contagious for a while (like 6-8 WEEKS).   So when you have your baby, I wouldn't let her son touch your infant, and make sure they all wash their hands.  Good hygiene does wonders!
  • DH had it last year, and the doc said it was one of those things that most of us have had as kids, we just never knew it. He said in a lot of people (obviously not all, like with your nephew) symtoms are so mild you don't really notice them. And most adults have already had it as kids so they wouldn't get it anyway. I agree with pp probably best to call your ob, but this is just what the doc told dh!
  • I used to work at a child development center and ran into this all the time (Never actually caught it, just saw it). It's not a big deal for us adults. Most of us are immune anyways but it can be prevented just like a cold or the flu by good personal hygeine. Your sister in law can come to your shower just make sure that both you and her wash your hands and or use hand sanitizer. Some doctors will also do preventative anti-biotics for it but I don't think it's necessary to do so. Have fun at your shower!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"