Baby Names

Are you waiting to meet LO before deciding on the name?

DH and I are thinking of just having 2 or three names we like the best and waiting until LO is born to decide what fits.

Part of me thinks I will take one look at LO and say, yep that is it your name is....

Re: Are you waiting to meet LO before deciding on the name?

• No. We have a name decided. The  only one we can agree fully on.
  • No. As I always tell people who ask this, my mom named me between two names based on what I looked like (brunette vs blond) and by the time I was a year, I was a blond and I've always been more fair.

Granted, I like my name better than the other choice, but I don't see how looking at a baby helps with a name. I didn't think my son looked or didn't look like a Colin based on his appearance coming out. We just liked the name.

I think it's a good procrastination tool, though!

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, we are going with a list, but it is because we can't really find any names we like (except for one boy name). And we are team green, so we'll need a list of both.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not pg yet, but we're planning on going in with a short list- 2 or 3- names and waiting to meet LO first.  One of my friends and her husband had debated over a list for much of her pregnancy, decided on a name, then when she was born my friend said she just looked at the baby and said the name just felt wrong.  She just looked at her and she looked like an Ellie (Eleanor), which was one of the other names on the list.  Maybe I won't have the same experience, but I want the option for us to change our minds at the last minute if we want.

• We did this.  I had an elaborate spread sheet.  We tried out two other names in the hospital before we settled on a third, and the mn was something brand new that DH came up with.

If we get pg again I think we'd do the same thing.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • We told people this because we felt uneasy about naming our child before he was born. We both knew our fav, though.....we just didn't call him that while he was in my belly.
  • My DH feels like he needs choices and when he sees the baby - he will know which one fits.  He thinks he did a good job - and I let him think that, but honestly, my kids look nothing like they did when they were born - Both kids were  fat and dark and now are petite and fair.  ..

I had my favorite names and i stressed these to my husband and luckily he felt like the babies looked  like those names.

• we are.  we kind of have the list narrowed and we have a front runner, but i don't think i'll be 100% confident until we see her and hold her.

we had something picked for DD but she just didn't "look" like that name...so i changed it on day 2!  lol!  it was a big ole mess and i don't want to go through that again.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When we had DS we had a list of three names, but were pretty set on our first choice. However, the INSTANT I saw him, I knew that wasn't his name, and DH felt the same way. It was totally unexpected!?

This time around we had picked a name and even put "name letters" up in her nursery. Now, however, we're second guessing and I'm pretty sure we'll have to go to the hospital with our top 3 names and wait to see her. ?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I never understand what people are talking about when they say they will wait because your baby will not look that way when they become a couple of months old.  my fair skinned sandy haired little girl was a bright red black haired baby.  I think the baby makes the name not the other way around.  I have never seen a kid and thought well they don't look like an Aiden.  They should have been called Collin.  My son is Mack and looks like a Mack but if we named him Jeremy he would complete be a Jeremy to me also.  I think people say this to put more meaning behind picking a name.
  • imageWheelerToBe:
    I never understand what people are talking about when they say they will wait because your baby will not look that way when they become a couple of months old.  my fair skinned sandy haired little girl was a bright red black haired baby.  I think the baby makes the name not the other way around.  I have never seen a kid and thought well they don't look like an Aiden.  They should have been called Collin.  My son is Mack and looks like a Mack but if we named him Jeremy he would complete be a Jeremy to me also.  I think people say this to put more meaning behind picking a name.

I completely agree. Newborns don't look like a certain name! 

• Yup, we're waiting until she's born. How can you give someone a name before you know them? We have a short list of names we like, but we want to meet her first.
    image   image

• imageWheelerToBe:
    I never understand what people are talking about when they say they will wait because your baby will not look that way when they become a couple of months old.  my fair skinned sandy haired little girl was a bright red black haired baby.  I think the baby makes the name not the other way around.  I have never seen a kid and thought well they don't look like an Aiden.  They should have been called Collin.  My son is Mack and looks like a Mack but if we named him Jeremy he would complete be a Jeremy to me also.  I think people say this to put more meaning behind picking a name.

I agree. Newborns all look the same- funny shaped head, some with hair, some bald, wrinkly, red, puffy.

I think it's more important to choose a name your child will grow into nicely- they will do that all on their own and it will have nothing to do with what they look like when they are 2 hours old. 

And another thing,  it takes a little more than a few hours to get to know your newborn. 

• imagePunkyBooster:

imageWheelerToBe:

I agree. Newborns all look the same- funny shaped head, some with hair, some bald, wrinkly, red, puffy.

I think it's more important to choose a name your child will grow into nicely- they will do that all on their own and it will have nothing to do with what they look like when they are 2 hours old. 

And another thing,  it takes a little more than a few hours to get to know your newborn. 

I wonder though, if it isn't so much as a "look" as it is a "feeling."

• Hmm if that's how you want to name your baby then go ahead with that however bear in mind your baby's appearance is going to change drastically as he/she gets older.
    I've already decided on Charlotte Grace for a girl and I haven't started to think about a name for a boy. I thought about choosing Daniel for a boy but I'm not that excited about it...I haven't gotten that much feedback from dh so I'm almost like should I just pick out names and tell Danny what I decided just in case he can't be here when I go into labor and have to name baby?

• We are waiting. For me it is not about what the child looks like. It is about who they are when they enter the world. Of course everything about a baby changes, so what I am waiting for is not a physical thing, but an emotional one. It will involve holding, smelling and nuzzling, and then I will know my person and be able to name them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"