3rd Trimester

How many think they will have to drive themselves alone to the hospital?

DH works nights and about 35 minutes away from home.  I really think I will have to drive myself alone to the hospital when LO decides to come.  I'm really nervous about this Indifferent

Re: How many think they will have to drive themselves alone to the hospital?

• Do you not have a neighbor or family member close by that you could call? My next door neighbor actually came over the other day and told me i could call her anytime to drive me to the hospital. it was too sweet! i probably won't need her as i can get a hold of dh relatively easily but it is nice to know i have her as a backup!

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• DH works nights too... although we live like 5 min from his work!! So, I will not be driving myself to the hospital - which is good bc our hospital is 30 min away!!! haha..
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelisswastaken:
    Do you not have a neighbor or family member close by that you could call? My next door neighbor actually came over the other day and told me i could call her anytime to drive me to the hospital. it was too sweet! i probably won't need her as i can get a hold of dh relatively easily but it is nice to know i have her as a backup!

No, I don't :"(   DH and I just moved to a new state about 3 weeks ago and I know no one :(

• You still shouldn't have to. It's not like you will have your first contractions and give birth within 30 minutes. It can take hours.

Just call him when you think you are in labor and he can come home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should make him take a few days off from work around ur due date, well if it's possible.
  • imageAlex17:

You still shouldn't have to. It's not like you will have your first contractions and give birth within 30 minutes. It can take hours.

Just call him when you think you are in labor and he can come home.

I was just going to say this. For the most part with our first there is no huge hurry to get to the hospital

• imageMissy42807:

imagelisswastaken:
    Do you not have a neighbor or family member close by that you could call? My next door neighbor actually came over the other day and told me i could call her anytime to drive me to the hospital. it was too sweet! i probably won't need her as i can get a hold of dh relatively easily but it is nice to know i have her as a backup!

No, I don't :"(   DH and I just moved to a new state about 3 weeks ago and I know no one :(

Seriously then, call an ambulance. There is absolutely NO reason for a woman in labor to drive herself to the hospital.

• imageMissy42807:

imagelisswastaken:

oh wow that's a crummy situation :( I don't think I'd drive myself though, maybe call a taxi instead?

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• I work about 25 min from the hospital and my DH about 10, but I will probably drive myself. My mom watches my niece so she can't really bring her to the hospital, plus I don't want to call DH to leave work if I'm not really in labor. I'll probably call him and tell him I'm on my way, but not to leave until I'm admitted. Is that bad?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Me if LO comes on a weekend. DH is going elk hunting 5 hours away every weekend pretty much from this one coming up to the one b4 christmas were due the Dec. 18th!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OMG ive been thinking i might have to do the same because we just moved so i dont know my neighbors, my family is in Indiana, Closest family member of his is an hour away, and hes military so who knows his hours... Im in the same boat sweetie :-) and nervous!!!
  • I worry about this, too b/c DH has a travel job and is all over the tri state area for work.  He mentioned that one of our friends who lives close by is usually around, but I hope DH mentions this to him as a possibility so I'm not calling him out of the blue.
  • When I was due with DC#2, DH just got a new job and it was an hr away from where we lived - 3hrs from the hospital.  I called him when I knew I was in labor and it was no biggie.  DD wasn't born for 9more hours and second kids come faster than the first.  You have nothing to worry about.

• I really hope not!  DH is going to work up until LO is born (he got a new client at work and any time he takes before she's born will only take away from the time he gets to stay home once she's here--I'd rather he be home after...).  My mom is going to come stay starting a week before my due date so that she can take me if need be (DH's job is in Manhattan and we're in a suburb so it could take an hour and a half for him to get home with waiting for a bus/traffic-esp around Christmas when tourism is at it's height in the city)--if she is born before that time, then I can only hope one of my in laws is nearby.  If I had to I'd probably call a cab or something--don't know if I'd trust myself to drive while having contractions.
  • Ladies, I hate to say this but you really need to make plans to have a ride to the hospital! Unless you've BTDT, you have no idea what labor is going to feel like. I can't imagine having driven myself to the hospital while in labor with DS. The ride there with DH driving was bad enough. Previous posters make a good point that if it's your first, there is plenty of time for your driver to get you to the hospital.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should not even consider driving yourself to the hospital when you're in labor. There may be times when you.cannot.breathe. let alone drive like a sensible and reasonable adult. 35 minutes is plenty of time for your husband to get there, as long as you call before the baby is crowning. If you're in dire straits, call an ambulance. Don't ever attempt to get yourself there.

• imageMissy42807:

imagelisswastaken:

I would honestly rather call an ambulance or taxi than drive myself. It'll be hard to concentrate on the road while you're having contractions.

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• I'm in a similar situation. No family or friends around. Actually, come to think of it, one of my neighbors did tell me she would be willing to help out. Then proceeded to tell me why she doesn't like her AA meetings and quit going. sooo.... I will be taking a cab. DH cannot take days off of work and actually is not allowed to be in a privately owned vehicle right now so if he comes to the hospital he will take a cab too!
  • Absolutely not, driving while in labor is unsafe in any circumstances. Considering trying should be completely flameable. Unless you are prone to really fast labor your DH should have more then enough time to come home and take you. If you are progressing too fast, than you need to call an ambulance.

You would not come here asking who's considered or tried drunk driving. Anything that's going to impair your ability to completely focus on the road ahead of you is similar. If you want to ensure you make it to the hospital wait for DH or call the ambulance.

Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11
  • imagekristie2422:
    I work about 25 min from the hospital and my DH about 10, but I will probably drive myself. My mom watches my niece so she can't really bring her to the hospital, plus I don't want to call DH to leave work if I'm not really in labor. I'll probably call him and tell him I'm on my way, but not to leave until I'm admitted. Is that bad?

This is my plan too. I only live 5 mins from hospital and he works all over so he could be anywhere from 15mins to an hour away from me.

• imageMissy42807:
    DH works nights and about 35 minutes away from home.  I really think I will have to drive myself alone to the hospital when LO decides to come.  I'm really nervous about this Indifferent

When it was time for me to go to the hospital I was in serious pain.  There was no way I could drive to the hospital....it was too much to just be constricted to having to sit in a seat.  You should have some sort of back up plan.  My contractions started around 8:30pm at night and I knew they were for sure real b/c they were coming regularly for an hour and progressively got worse.  I was able to labor at home for 3.5 hours before I left, which I hear is a pretty short amount of time considering how long some women are in labor for.  (I went super quick as I was 3cm when I got to the hospital and an hour later when they checked for progress, I was already 6cm, which was very unpredictable since this was my first.)If you are in labor, call DH ASAP and tell him to get home.  

• imagekristie2422:
    I work about 25 min from the hospital and my DH about 10, but I will probably drive myself. My mom watches my niece so she can't really bring her to the hospital, plus I don't want to call DH to leave work if I'm not really in labor. I'll probably call him and tell him I'm on my way, but not to leave until I'm admitted. Is that bad?

I was writhing in pain waiting for that hour to pass for them to see if I was a "keeper."  I don't think I could have gotten through that hour without DH by my side. Once I was admitted, things went pretty quick and needed DH there to help me focus.

• You will have more than enough time for him to come home and get you unless you have an extremely unusual labor.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagekristin7701:
    Ladies, I hate to say this but you really need to make plans to have a ride to the hospital! Unless you've BTDT, you have no idea what labor is going to feel like. I can't imagine having driven myself to the hospital while in labor with DS. The ride there with DH driving was bad enough. Previous posters make a good point that if it's your first, there is plenty of time for your driver to get you to the hospital.

I just had my first and I labored so quickly there was no time to give me an epidural.  About 3.5 hours at home and 2.5 hours at the hospital before I was fully dilated...and I was only 1cm the day before at OB appointment.  After 2 hours of pushing DD was born.  Yes most first timers go for a while, but I didn't so I'm of the theory that you shouldn't plan on this, as I sure didn't.  It took me 3 tries to convince my husband that it was time to go.  He didn't believe me and thought I was overreacting.    

• I work nights and am planning to work until I go into labor.  My work is about an hour away from the hospital I'm delivering at but I'm still making my husband drive the half hour from our house to my work to pick me up then making the hour long trip to the hospital (if I go into labor at work that is).  I just figure my husband would be so upset with me if I was in an accident trying to get myself to the hospital.  You'll be too distracted to drive there safely.
  • There was no way I would have been able to drive myself...I was in so much pain I could barely keep my eyes open.
  • Yeah I am nervous! My FI works about 20 mins away and early mornings 4am-noon, so I get scared that I'm gonna go into labor while he's at work and I won't have anyone with me.. Also we live at the bottom of 2 fairly steep hills going up both ways, so my bigger fear is that we will get iced in at the bottom of the hill and have no way to get to the hospital.. December is not a good month to give birth in!! lol
  • I am in the same boat. My DH is an airline pilot so he is never home. It could  easily take him 8-12 hours to get home. My doc just suggested to call an ambulance or to come to early and labor at the hospital.

I don't have friends or family here either. It sucks but I will manage.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"