3rd Trimester

NBR: Anyone thaw out their wedding cake on 1st anniversary?

Our 1st anniversary is Sunday, Nov 15th! We didn't realize our caterer had saved the top tier of our wedding cake for us so after the wedding, it sat in a box for 2 days in our house, not refrigerated. ANYWAY, my sister put it in our freezer right when she realized.

#1- Do you think it's gross to even try to eat it since it sat out for a few days?

#2- Has anyone thawed theirs out and eaten it? Was it freezer burnt and gross or actually good?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Anyone thaw out their wedding cake on 1st anniversary?

• Loading the player...
  • We

actually ate
  • We

actually ate our
  • Yeah, and it was terrible.  lol
  • We thawed ours out and ate it. It was still good after a year... There was a little bit of freezer burn on one side but we just removed that area. Congrats on your one year!! Party!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We just thawed our's out this weekend on our first anniversary.  It was still pretty good - moist in the middle but a little hard towards the edges.  I still enjoyed eating a slice!

No freezer burn.  We also put it in the freezer the night of the wedding.  I don't know if I would have kept a cake that had been sitting out for 2 days.

• We actually ate ours for our house move in celebration with a bottle of champagne given to us. This was less than a month after our wedding. Our bakery also gave us a small cake on our anniversary. so we did not have to save ours.
  • We didnt.. we didnt even save ours.. but we did have them make a replica of the top for our 1st anniversary.. it was much yummier =)
  • Not at all.  After about 6 months...we trashed it. 
  • We thawed it for about a day, and it was SOOOOOOO GOOD! I went to the same bakery the next day and ordered the same thing, only a little smaller.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If your cake was made right there's NO problem with eating it. See our cake lady FAILED and messed up our cake big time, we threw it away without even keeping a piece. We said on our 1st anniversary we will get cake with our dinner and just laugh about our messed up wedding cake ha-ha
  • 1.  No

2.  Ours was prepared to freeze properly and it actually wasn't too bad.  We only had a few bites and then tossed it.  But it's nice to say that we did it.

• Instead of doing that we saved a champagne bottle to have during our 1 year (we were married in Disney so it would have been near impossible to travel). Unfortunately (well for celebration purposes) we were 5 months KU at the time and couldn't have it.

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• We just had our 1st anniversay on 10/18.  We had our cake wrapped in plastic wrap and then twice in aluminum foil.  We thawed it on Saturday and ate 1/2 on Sunday.  We wrapped the rest up and we'll have it again next year.  It was just like our wedding day...delicious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We got ours out and tried but it didn't thaw right and was kind of mushy.  The only cake we got at the wedding was the bits we fed each other because everyone else ate it all so we were hoping we'd at least get the top layer.  It still tasted ok, but we couldn't get past the texture so we threw it out after a bite or two.

I wouldn't eat yours since it wasn't refrigerated.

Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • My cake was filled with canoli cream and fresh strawberries. Needless to say we both took a bite, looked at each other, spit it out and said happy anniversary! lol

I would just save it and open it and maybe take a little lick of the frosting just for sentimental reasons and trash the rest lol. 

• imagesarajo317:
    We didnt.. we didnt even save ours.. but we did have them make a replica of the top for our 1st anniversary.. it was much yummier =)

This is exactly what we did!!

• We had ours on our anniversary on October 11th and it was super delicious. you might want to ask the people who made it for you, but our instructions was to put it in the fridge the day before we're going to eat it and then on the day we want to eat it set it out on the counter covered for a few hours or until it's room temperature. Our cake topper was so big that we ended up only eating about 1/2 of it, if it was even that much, before we had to throw it away. I was scared that we didn't wrap it well enough, but I guess we did and it was so good. Aw, man, now I'm craving that cake again!!!
  • we had only heard bad things about that tradition... so we ate it after one month.
  • we ate ours a year later and it was great!  we did let it sit in the refrigerator for several days to thaw out 1st - no microwave defrosting!
  • For our 1 year, we had a fresh cake top made b/c our cake was cracked at our wedding.  So we have that for this year (11/24) for our 2 year anniversary.  I hope it wont be bad! It should be good.  I can't wait! :)
  • 1.  not gross

2.  we unthawed ours and it tasted as good as the year before-it was delicious!

• We did just this last Saturday! It actually tasted good, I was suprised.  I forgot how pretty my cake was!  My mom had it wrapped in layers of saran wrap (sp) and then layers and layers of foil.  It wasnt bad!
  • imagejules&andy:
    Our bakery bakes us a "top tier" on our 1st anniversary so we don't have to save the one from the wedding.

This! I thought it was such a nice touch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We ate ours and it was actually very yummy! My mom took care of wrapping it in plastic wrap, and then foil.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ours gave us a special little "anniversary cake" -it was really nice.  It was actually still good after a year, but it was exceptional cake to begin with.
  • Yes, we ate a bite...and it was absolutely disgusting. We dumped the rest of it in the trash.

This is one wedding tradition that I think just needs to fade away!

• We did. Our cake which was amazing on wedding day was dry when we thawed the cake.  Congrats on the anniversary...mine is today.

• 1. NO.

2. We did and it wasn't bad. NOT GREAT but it was the thought and idea...kinda mushy moment for memories!

• we didn't save ours.  we took it home after our wedding and since we didn't get any at the wedding (besides the small bite) we just decided to eat it.  i couldn't see wasting it since it was SO delicious.  we got our cake from the now Cake Boss and his cakes are amazing!  it was carrot with cream cheese frosting.  i've heard from friends that eating the top layer after a year gave them the runs, so i figured why bother.

• Ours was delicious! We wrapped it in plastic wrap, then foil, then put it in a rubbermaid freezer container. Yours should be fine... cake is fine for a few days without being refrigerated or frozen. Ours seriously tasted exactly like the day of our wedding... give it a shot!
  • I can't remember if ours was refrigerated while on our honeymoon, (I think so) but we wrapped it up like our cake lady told us to & froze it.  & honestly when we thawed it out, it was just as good as the day of our wedding.  I was shocked & fully prepared to get sick afterwards, but we were fine!!

• Yeah we ate ours on our 1 Year. My SIL (a baker) made a super delicious, dense, and moist cake for our wedding, so it actually froze and kept quite well. Obviously didn't taste as good, but wasn't bad at all. It was a fun thing to do. Congrats on your anniversary!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours was wrapped in plastic, then about 4000 layers of foil, and put in the far back of our freezer.  If you don't want it to dry out, you have to put it out on the counter a couple of days before the anniversary STILL IN THE FOIL.  If you unwrap the cake and then defrost it, it will dry out and be gross. 

But, if you just threw the cake in the freezer in a box, without wrapping it, it will be nasty.  

For the record, ours was absurdly delicious.  Absurdly.  I want some right now, in fact.  Our cake man is making the baby shower cake (he made my birthday cake, too!), and I can't wait to get some more!!!

• we ate ours on our 1 year anniversary and it was really good!Big Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • We will be thawing ours out here soon. November 29th is our anniv. congrats to you though.
  • We thawed ours out and had a little piece and it tasted fine.
  • Our 1 year anniversary is on Sunday November 15th too!!
  • ours sat out for a couple days - and we froze it, thawed it and ate it and it was actually still good! I was shocked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"