3rd Trimester

Sex to jumpstart labor

Has this really ever helped any of you or anyone you know? I am going to try it tonight but want to hear your anecdotes.

Re: Sex to jumpstart labor

• Didn't work for us the other night...
  • imageCandyMandy:
    Has this really ever helped any of you or anyone you know? I am going to try it tonight but want to hear your anecdotes.

Worked for my brother and his ex

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've tried and it hasn't worked Sad
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LOL, I told DH that once I hit 37 weeks we will be having sex every day!  Sucks because I can no longer use it as a punishment for him being silly... BUT from what everyone (including the doctor) says it will help get LO moving along!

**PS... There's something in the sperm that helps to move labor along.  It starts with a "p"... but I don't remember what it was called.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know of anyone its worked for, but I'm doing it anyway!
  • It didn't work for us last night, but we will be trying again tonight.
    Alexander David
    my blog
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I don't think it jumpstarts labor, exactly, but sperm is supposed to have something in it that softens the cervix.  I think it just kind of helps things get ready, not really starts contractions and stuff.  We're trying it.
  • Its defanitly helped ripen my cervix like my doctor said it would! We had sex one week and it dilated me, then didnt have any sex the following and no progress!! So I am back to it and so hopefully when we go back they say I am futher along!
  • We've been at it for 2 weeks.

• it worked for us, molly was 11 days early bc of it....
  • Worked for me the first time around. We started at 37 weeks having sex. We even had sex the morning I went into labor just shy of 38 weeks.

• I had sex two weeks ago on a Sunday morning. By 3am Monday morning I was having contractions. I went to L and D at 2pm Monday still having contractions but wasnt dialating so they sent me home.
  • we've been sexing it up twice a day for the last week and nothing.... but we are having fun trying :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • With my second...I went into labor four hours after doing the deed. Make sure you BOTH get off (sorry if that's a bit forward). His sperm helps ripen your cervix and your orgasm can trigger contractions. HTH.
  • I was already dialated at 36 weeks 3cm and 90% ef. I had sex at 37Wks and went into full labor the next day. I had her the next night. : )
  • When you're having sex, your brain releases oxytocin, which is the naturally occurring version of Pitocin. It causes the uterus to contract. Essentially, studies have shown that when women go into labor, they begin producing increased oxytocin.

Obviously, sex itself doesn't produce enough oxytocin to start labor on its own, but if your brain is just about ready to start producing that extra oxytocin anyway, sometimes having an orgasm will cause it to begin producing that additional oxytocin a few hours to a day early. Typically, sex is only effective in actually starting labor if your cervix is already ripe--i.e. your body would have begun labor soon anyway.

This is the same reason why nipple stimulation can help to to initiate or progress labor--it also releases oxytocin. 

• Didn't work for us the other night, but i might give it one more try in the next couple days.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPhotobucket
  • With my daughter I actually started having contractions during round 2 of the night. She is known as our round 2 baby between hubby and I.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • It has not helped me out one bit this pregnancy. However, my second pregnancy it helped put me into labor. I was however 40 weeks but at my appointment 2 days before my EDD I had not even begun to dilate. And my DD came within 5 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"