2nd Trimester

Need opinions, those who've had amnio

We had the big u/s this morning and while it should have been the best moment ever, the dr. is "slightly concerned" with two things. The measurement of the back of the neck was slightly high, I guess it measured anywhere from 5.5 to 7 in the times they tried (they said they like to see it under 6), and they saw a tiny spot on the heart where they aren't sure if it connects fully (so possibly a small hole). I am going back next week for another ultrasound for the heart, the dr. was not very concerned about this and said it's likely nothing. For the neck issue, we have to decide if we want to do amnio. I had the first tri screen, and all my results came out negative. I am so scared, and we don't know what to do- though we're leaning towards doing the amnio. Can anyone reassure me? The dr. did say that he thinks the chances of us having a normal healthy baby are 99%, which I know is great. But all I can help but do is think about the 1%.

Oh and it's a boy. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need opinions, those who've had amnio

• This is my opinion but if the doctor says he is 99% sure, there is no way i would do the amino. 1 in 200 amino end up in miscarriage, trust me i know you would feel better by doing the amino (i am going through the same thing right now) but, what happens if your baby ends up perfect and then you miscarry? Can you handle that? 

Now, if you would abort your child if something is wrong then maybe you should do it. in my case, even if there is something wrong there is no way i will abort so for me there is no reason to do the amino. Please dont think i am being hard on you, it is 100% your choice just do your research before making your descion, and try to look at the eorst and best case scenario.

In my case, i am putting everything in faith right now to get through each day, yes it would be easier to do the amino but i cant take the risk of losing my little girl. 

• If your doctor is only "slightly concerned," and if the blood screen results were normal, I personally wouldn't do the amnio. NT scans are notoriously inaccurate. As hard as it is, think about focusing on the 99% and not on the 1%.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't had an amnio and won't. But I am not one to push my opinions on others. I think you should do whatever feels right for you. Just do all the research and be well informed of the benefits and the risks of testing before you decide. I would hate for you to have a healthy baby growing in there like the doctor *thinks* and for you to lose it after an amnio. On the other hand, if it is essential that you prepare for whatever possible problem there is, I can understand why you would want to be informed. Good luck.

• I had amnio and it was good to put any worry to rest. We weren't high risk/didn't have any issues, but we just wanted to know everything was ok. The miscarriage risk is so minimal-not as high as previously thought- 1 in 1200.
  • My doc suggested I do an amnio due to bad 2nd tri screening results.  I refuse.  My "peace of mind" isn't worth the risk IMO.  However, every set of circumstance is different.  I'd wait until after the 2nd u/s & heart scan.  That may be enough reassurance for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh yeah, Congrats on the baby boy!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had the exact same experience as you at my 20 week - they found the neck thickness was 'way off' (ours was over 7) and our baby had calcium deposits in his heart.  At that time they gave us the option of the amnio and we actually chose to have the test done right there at that time.  The "1 in 200" number is no longer accurate as far as miscarriage is concerned - you can research this.  I see a high risk doctor already and b/c she does amnio tests more often, she said that the miscarriage risk would be even lower than the average numbers you read. 

They did the rush resluts and in 2 days we found out for sure that our little boy did not have Downs.  The reason we did the amnio was to be fully prepared with all the information possible.  It's definitely a personal choice and one we struggled with but in the end it was best for us to know for sure and not be wondering for 20 weeks.  The stress didn't seem worth it to us.

If you want to PM me I'd be glad to talk to you more about it.  I'm so sorry you're going through this - I know it's torture.  Best of luck.  My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevalg927:

I had the exact same experience as you at my 20 week - they found the neck thickness was 'way off' (ours was over 7) and our baby had calcium deposits in his heart.  At that time they gave us the option of the amnio and we actually chose to have the test done right there at that time.  The "1 in 200" number is no longer accurate as far as miscarriage is concerned - you can research this.  I see a high risk doctor already and b/c she does amnio tests more often, she said that the miscarriage risk would be even lower than the average numbers you read. 

They did the rush resluts and in 2 days we found out for sure that our little boy did not have Downs.  The reason we did the amnio was to be fully prepared with all the information possible.  It's definitely a personal choice and one we struggled with but in the end it was best for us to know for sure and not be wondering for 20 weeks.  The stress didn't seem worth it to us.

If you want to PM me I'd be glad to talk to you more about it.  I'm so sorry you're going through this - I know it's torture.  Best of luck.  My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Thank you so much- I'll pm you later today. My mom is taking me to lunch, hopefully I can cheer up.

Thanks for the advice everyone, appreciate it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Best of luck! Congrats on finding out it's a boy! My thoughts are with you!
    Little man # 1 - 03/05/2010
    Little man # 2 - 05/02/2013
    Little sister - 07/16/2015
  • Honestly, I would do the amnio. I would rather know than not. I had an amnio done and honestly if I wouldn't have it would've been a very looooong couple of months. Although, I didn't really have a choice. The doctor just rolled in the cart and had me sign the paper. I guess I could've said no, but like I said I would've gone through with it anyways.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageBig J:
    Oh yeah, Congrats on the baby boy!!

Thank you Smile We got so caught up in the "what could be" it's hard to focus on the exciting part.

• we had our amnio last wednesday.  our first trimester screenings came back fine, we just wanted to be "sure sure".

the miscarriage risks are no longer anywhere near 1 in 200.  ask your dr. what their experience has been - which is, really, the most important statistic.  my ob/gyn has been in practice since 1974, and said he could count the number of miscarriages he had seen on one hand.  to put it into context, he had 3 amnios scheduled the day i had mine.

it did hurt, and i did have to rest (which i wasn't in the mood for), and i did have some very mild cramping, no spotting, no anything else.  our results won't be here for another couple of days, but we both feel better that we will know for sure.  

either way, good luck and take care.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"