3rd Trimester

Baby Shower gone a wry! (vent)

DH & I decided are going to wait & be surprised whether we were blessed with a boy or girl.  Thus far, we received much support, but a few people have been MORE THAN VOCAL... and they aren't even MY relatives. 

Shower was at a restaurant, and here's the recap... 

1 guest at my shower (DH's relative) made a deal about the centerpiece because the one on "her" table was BLUE NOT PINK.  Since, she decided I was having a girl & didn't want any blue or boy items at the table, she went to switch with another one in the room... and of course in the process, broke not one, but 2 center pieces.  WTF!!! 

The other gal, a friend, corrects people, saying, "No, she's having a girl."  When I get to opening gifts, she comments the same way.  "Oh well, you'll have to return that, it looks like it's for a boy."  I get to her gift and guess what... PINK!  And a mount of pink it was; then said, "I didn't give you the receipts because I'm sure you are having a girl."  And she then remarked, that if I have a boy, we'll it's okay because the baby won't know he's in pink clothes. --- Um pretty sure as it's MY child, DH & I GET TO MAKE THAT CALL!!!!

I just find both of these so rude and tactless, I can't fathom how incredibly inappropriate the behavior was... never mind the women in their 40s!

It was supposed to be an enjoyable & joyous day, and these two just managed to make people feel awkward.  At one point, I pondered asking the each to leave!  And now I wish I had!!!!

Any thoughts on how to deal with them the next time I see them?

Re: Baby Shower gone a wry! (vent)

• A tight smile and a nod.

Mentally you can throat punch them. 

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • wow....they were really freaking out over not knowing the sex..thats a bit ridiculous. I would just ignore it...because if you had to "address" everyone in world that was acting irrational...you probably take a vow of silence anyway..lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would try to return what they gave you for store credit and because it's family-just suck it up. If you say anything to them it's only going to make the situation worse. Try to remember that despite what they said-they were nice enough to come and bring you a present
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd try and avoid them ... doesn't this secretly make you wish a little bit that you have a boy so you can shove it in their faces?
  • I'd probably say something like "Thanks so much for making my shower uncomfortable with your overbearing opinions." I can't imagine how some women think that their opinion is the only one in the world and feel it's their place to shove it down everyones throat, especially during special events.
  • I would just ignore them. That's what I do with relatives that say dumb things.
  • What jerks..I would of told them off..

• I forgot to include that my moms best friend who I refer to as Aunt is like this, and it didn't stop till I started giving it back to her and standing up for myself. She finally backed down, and now we have a much better relationship where she respects my opinion and doesn't try to make her's the only one. If they are comfortable enough with you to be that overbearing then you can do it right back and see how they like it. Many times they don't realize how rude they are being and need to be told.
  • imageballugurl:
    I would try to return what they gave you for store credit and because it's family-just suck it up. If you say anything to them it's only going to make the situation worse. Try to remember that despite what they said-they were nice enough to come and bring you a present

this! I hate people like that. Wish I could throat punch them for you.

• imageDiscusCoach:

A tight smile and a nod.

This

• She broke two centerpieces? I would be livid! I realize they are just centerpieces, but someone put a lot of effort into them and she treated them like they were toys. Is she 5? My?kindergartners?know better behavior than that!!

• My baby shower  is in a couple about two weeks and I am bracing myslef for comments like this.  Though I know my family doesn't mean to be harsh to me it is.

My family seems to be very excited that my unemployed 36 years old mother is having her fifth child, while they look down on me, (20 almost done with my bachelors and working) for being pregnant.  It becomes very frustrating to see people so kind to my mom and wanna rub her back and ect while all they do is tell me my life is going to be so hard.

I usually cry alone but keep up a face in front of them.  At the end of the day people will always live in their own dillusional world.  I would be really frustrated if someone broke the centerpeices though.  I would have told that person that she is making a scene at your shower and she is supposed to be there for you not worrying about a petty centerpeice.

• imageDiscusCoach:

A tight smile and a nod.

Oh, what a great idea!  I like this silent mental act... what a great big smile I will have next time I see them as I envision a throat punch and a swift kick to the shin.  Brilliant!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"