High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Epileptic & Pregnant...?

I haven't even talked to the OB/GYN yet, that's how new my pregnancy is to me, but I've been epileptic long enough to know it's a pretty big deal... and I'm just wondering if there are any other mothers out there who have done it and what your insight is.  My neurologist said we'll just up my medication in a few months to compensate what the baby takes from my blood - and I'm just curious to see what anyone else knows/has heard.

Thanks. 

Re: Epileptic & Pregnant...?

• Options
    i would page brandonswife (aka bw) on 12-24
  • Options
    I know you need a lot (a lot) of extra folic acid during pregnancy if you have epilepsy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hello - I am epileptic and 37 weeks pregnant.  As far as my pregnancy went, I had to take mega doses of folic acid because I remained on my anti-seizure med Tegretol throughout the pregnancy. 

I had an amnio at 16 weeks to check for spina bifida, etc and everything came out ok.

Right when I hit my 3rd trimester, I noticed I was feeling "weird and seizurish" so at my usual Tegretol blood test which has been every 6 weeks through my pregnancy my Tegretol levels plummetted and they had to increase my dose.  Lately, I have had dizzy spells, etc but am closely monitored by my neurologist and high risk OB..

After a lot of discussion, we decided on a c-section at 38 weeks because I was afraid of having a seizure during labor and delivery.  The c-section would be more controlled. 

If you have any questions at all, please ask me...  Good luck to you!

• Options

Cool... at this point, I'm feeling pretty good... the problem I have is I have seizures when I'm sleeping - so I don't know what it feels like to have one, or even when they seem to be coming on.  Basically, my neurologist is keeping updated with the pregnancy, and we're planning on upping the Topamax later on.  My OB/GYN suggested that there were doctors we could talk to about changing medication or trying to get off of it, but I feel that'd be more of a risk, not only to me - but to the baby... as seizing sucks the oxygen from the little one :< ...

I'm content right now - but if I start feeling antsy, I'll definitely hit you up with silly questions.

Thanks 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"