Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Would you.....

Move into the upstairs of your IL's house which the upstairs is  2 bedrooms, a living room/loft and 1 bathroom for 1 year in order to pay off all consumer related debt and have enough for a down payment for a larger home?

I just dont think I can do it. It was offered but I just laughed.

We currently own our home (we DO have a mortgage) and would be in it for 3 more yrs and then get a larger home, not our dream home just a larger one. We live in a 3 bed/2 bath 1800 sq ft and using 1 room as a business studio Its starting to get tight.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you.....

• Hmm. How long are we talking here?
  • I guess it would depend on a couple of things - how serious I was about paying off my debt and how well I get along with my IL's.
  • Loading the player...
  • I probably would. But I love my IL's. It would be different... but we actually considered a similar situation recently. Only, there was no upstairs with a living room. It was just a bedroom, so we decided to keep our house.
  • Never ever not in a million years. LOL. But then again I don't care much for my in-laws so one of us wouldn't make it!
  • I would rather die!
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • I'd live in a van down by the river before I moved in with my in-laws
  • I would do it if I "needed" to.  If it was just to make things easier then probably not.  
  • How well do you get along with your in-laws?  I would consider it if it was going to help you out a great deal in the long run.  A year really isn't THAT long... but then again, if you hate your MIL, a year could be a lifetime.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • If my IL's weren't BSC I would totally do it, but they are insane so not in a million years.
  • No way. I would seriously murder my MIL. She is that batty after more than a few days with her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It would depend on how much debt there was and how much faster this would allow me to pay it off. I get along really well with my ILs though.

Now if it was mom offering...never. I would die first. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Nope. I absolutely love my ILs, but that would probably change really fast if I had to live with them.

DH and I have both decided we would live out of the minivan before we would move home with our parents. It just wouldn't happen.

• I have to LOL b/c I was watching the Duggar episode with the Bates family and they were a family of 18 living in a 1000sq ft home and you say things are tight with you, your H and a toddler. Things could always be worse...I would live in 500 sq ft to avoid living with my ILs for a year :0)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • No way.  However, we are currently living with my parents while we build a house.  DH has even said it would not work living with either of his parents, but my parents are very easy to live with.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • NONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yeah I probably would.  It would be tough and certainly not ideal but I'd love the opportunity to pay off debt
    DD 6/17/08, DD 6/9/10, DD 12/15/11
    BFP 5/24/13 - Natural MC 6/7/13
    BFP 8/13/13 - Natural MC 8/27/13
    Ovarian Mass = removal of left ovary & tube 9/13
    BFP 4/24/14 - Tubal Pregnancy 5/7/14
    Removal of  ruptured right tube 5/8/14
    IVF or adoption??
  • I couldn't do it.
  • We were offered the same accommodations by my IL's about 6 months ago. I have a great relationship with them, but I'm also a pretty private person. We opted not to mainly because I didn't want to tarnish my great standing relationship with them. I just know it would be asking for tension living with them even for a month or 2.
  • for one year, if at the end of the year I was debt free and had money in the bank for a large d/p. yes
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageLoriFalce:
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like this reply.

• i would if it were my own parents but we don' have that kind of relationship with the ILs.
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Not a chance. Stay where you are and tighten up the spending. I have a 800sf 2 br house and half my dinky bedroom is my craft area. It sucks, but it's better than living with relatives. Do you really think you could have your ILs in your face all the time?

I'd live in my car before living with ILs, but I'm trying to set my own IL feelings aside to answer your question. ;)

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image*francisca*:
    I would rather die!

Well said!

• If it had a separate entrance, yes!  But I also have veryyyy laid back IL's. 
  • If 1800sqft is starting to get tight, then you need to get rid of some stuff. Purge. It will make a huge difference.

And yes, I WOULD live with my parents or ILs in the conditions you've described for a year-ish to eliminate all debt if we were in over our heads or if there was a fire in our house etc. But not because we wanted more room and didnt want to just cut our budget and save for a few more years. 

• Someone wouldn't come out alive.  Not sure which one of us, but someone.
  • imageKellyOsu23:

Move into the upstairs of your IL's house which the upstairs is  2 bedrooms, a living room/loft and 1 bathroom for 1 year in order to pay off all consumer related debt and have enough for a down payment for a larger home?

I just dont think I can do it. It was offered but I just laughed.

We currently own our home (we DO have a mortgage) and would be in it for 3 more yrs and then get a larger home, not our dream home just a larger one. We live in a 3 bed/2 bath 1800 sq ft and using 1 room as a business studio Its starting to get tight.

I am trying to figure out how that could possibly be "tight" for you.

We just UPGRADED to a 4BR/1.5BA 1700 sq ft house.  I have 3 children ages 12, 2, & 1.

And to answer your question, no I would not unless it was an emergency situation such as a fire.  Even then I don't think I could do it.

• It's hard for me to imagine being in that situation at this stage of my life. But if straits were bad enough and I had a lot of debt then I would probably do it. I'd make sure the plans was really solid, so that the year was not spent  at my ILs for nothing.
  • imageskoorbnibor:
    for one year, if at the end of the year I was debt free and had money in the bank for a large d/p. yes

Ditto this.

Let me add, I am talking about MIL and her husband. FIL and his wife (who have the room to actually "take us in"...not in a zillion years). Nor would we move in with my mom.

How much debt are we talking about here? We are trying to balance paying off student loans with buying a house, and we still aren't sure where we want to be so we still haven't purchased though we could.

• imageemiliemadison:

If 1800sqft is starting to get tight, then you need to get rid of some stuff. Purge. It will make a huge difference.

And yes, I WOULD live with my parents or ILs in the conditions you've described for a year-ish to eliminate all debt if we were in over our heads or if there was a fire in our house etc. But not because we wanted more room and didnt want to just cut our budget and save for a few more years. 

All of this.  If it wouldn't double DH's already horrendous public transit commute, I would totally move us in with my mom (or the ILs, but they live upstate) so we could pay off some debt and save up for a DP on a house.  Right now we're just keeping our heads above water. 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • imageemiliemadison:

If 1800sqft is starting to get tight, then you need to get rid of some stuff. Purge. It will make a huge difference.

Ditto.

Yes, I'd do it if we were completely drowning in debt, we lost our jobs, lost our house.  Emergency type reasons.  But just because you want a bigger house...sounds a bit ridiculous to me.  I really don't see how a 1800sqft house could be tight.  We live in something similar and are quite happy.

I'm also a very independent person and so is DH.  We'd do whatever we could on our own to pay off our debt and start saving more if having a bigger house was something very important to us.  But moving in with family just to save money for a bigger house isn't our style.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"