2nd Trimester

H1N1...Who's Not Getting Vaccinated?

YES, it's another H1N1 post.  I just want to hear from some of the girls who aren't getting vaccinated again.

I'm really opposed to getting it but then I get scared and waver in my decision.  

Post and tell me (AGAIN!) why you're not getting the vaccine. :)  It'll be my own little personal pep talk. 

Re: H1N1...Who's Not Getting Vaccinated?

• Please just get it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesoko987:
    Please just get it.

That's not what I asked fooooooooooor! 

• Loading the player...
  • I was reassured that the risks of NOT getting the vaccine far out weigh those of getting vaccinated.

When my my OB's office did finally get it , I was 7 days away from my EDD.   I declined it.  I had no rhyme or reason for opting out of the swine flu shot.  Call it mother's instinct but I just got the regular flu shot.  I had my baby last week and getting it on November 9th.  I just didn't want the baby exposed to it.   

• why aren't you getting it??  It's completely safe and by not getting it you could get pneumonia or even worse prego.. you could put you and baby in danger!
  • imagekimbarnes83:

imagesoko987:
    Please just get it.

That's not what I asked fooooooooooor! 

Okay, don't get it. Even though it is just as safe as the regular flu vaccine, has no more mercury  in it than a tuna sandwich, and the flu, both swine and seasonal, can have deadly effects on both mom and baby due to the decreased lung capacities of pregnant women.

I'm sorry, I'm in the health care field, it's frustrating for me. But you have clearly made up your mind. Do what you've got to do.

• I went to the OB yesterday and he has advised that the risks are far too great to not get the vaccine.  Our office is currently out and they are waiting for another shipment to come in.  He just kept stressing the fact that I should get it asap.  I was on the fence about this, but there are too many stories of pregnant women dying from this flu that I don't think I want to take my chances.  I am getting my sister who works at the health department in another county to bring me one home.  There is no telling when the next shipment will come in.  We have none here in our county.  I think that we are risking a lot more by not getting it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • im not getting it, its way too new for me. you couldnt pay me money to take that shot. i never get the regular flu shot either. i personally dont understand all this flu hysteria. i seriously feel like people are going nuts over it for no reason. wash your hands often, carry santizer with you, dont touch your face after being in a public area. i mean its just common sense. My dr is highly AGAINST me getting it as well.
  • I'm not getting it. I think it's amazing that the CDC pushes it as though its the best thing since sliced bread, but theres still thousands of physicians out there who advise against it because they don't know the slightest thing about it. It's concerning to me that every single doctor I have asked if i should consider it has said "Hell no, and I wouldnt advise any other patient to get it either until more is known".

I'm not saying that there is anything at all wrong with it. It could very well be the best thing since sliced bread, but the key word in that statement is "COULD".

I respect every mother out there who gets it, but it's not a decision I'm comfortable making yet. I may change my mind, but we shall see.

IVF #1 BFN... IVF #2 BFP! TWINS!
    Twins born too early at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix
    FET #1, IUI #1, 2, 3, 4 - all BFN
    IVF #3 BFP!!! IT'S A BOY! Born July 16th, 2011
    FET #2 BFP! Due February 15, 2013
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am not getting it. I am just going with my gut on this one.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok so I havent totally made up my mind yet because a work at the front desk of a world class resort and I am in contact with people from all over the world face to face on a daily basis. HOWEVER this is the only reason why I would even contemplate getting it. I did get a regualr flu shot and would hope this helps (to a point) with a small bit of the h1n1 flu strand. I don't know that though.

Anywho I have pretty much made up my mind not to get the shot just becuase it is soooooo introductory. The flu shot was tested once before in the 70's I think and there was an increase number of birth defects. Now medicine has come a LOOOONG way since 40 years ago but this is still so new...maybe in several years this will be as common as the regular flu shot, but for now there isn't enough evidenace for me.

• I was very opposed to getting it as well since I have never had any type of flu shot in my life.  However, after talking to my dr, I decided to get both.  My EDD is April, so I have to make it all the way through flu season trying to avoid both.  Chances are I'd be fine w/o it, but on the off chance that I would develope complications & get deathly ill I just don't want to take the chance.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am not getting it. My mom contracted Guillan-barre syndrom from a flu shot about 10 years ago and has had nothing but medical problems since..even though I know my chances of that happening to me are the same as the general population (1 in 100,000), it's still enough to make me hesitant. I've never gotten a flu shot and I'm not about to start now....my doctor understands my reservations and supports my decision. :)
  • Indifferent  "bangs head on desk"

Please just research and read about the risks of H1N1 online.  I think you should get it, but I am not a researcher nor medical professional, so please just take the time to do your homework and then base a decision off of your opinions...  I wouldn't ask a board full of non medical professionals on advice for what to do if you are really that freaked out about it.  JMO...

Chemical Pregnancy 5.2011. BFP 9.2011 MC @ 8.5w D&C 11.4.2011 sweet pea is always in our hearts. BFP 3.23.2012! Our baby turkey is due 11.22.2012! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagewordtoyourmother:

I was reassured that the risks of NOT getting the vaccine far out weigh those of getting vaccinated.

When my my OB's office did finally get it , I was 7 days away from my EDD.   I declined it.  I had no rhyme or reason for opting out of the swine flu shot.  Call it mother's instinct but I just got the regular flu shot.  I had my baby last week and getting it on November 9th.  I just didn't want the baby exposed to it.   

Congratulations on your baby girl! She is adorable!!!

• ::raises hand::  i'm just not a flu-shot-getter, and i'm not going to start now.  i'd rather take the chance and fall back on tamiflu if needed.
  • Expose baby to what?  What risks are you talking about, from a chicken egg??  That's what they use to make the shot you know!  The mercury and thermisol in the shot are such small amounts that they have absolutely no chance of doing any damage to anyone!  It's never caused any negative side effects other than the occasional low-grade fever and itching at the injection spot.  Coming from a family full of doctors I think it's just insane and dangerous not to get it, pregnant moms are dying out there and it's just not worth the risk not to get it if you can.
  • imagekkalina:
    im not getting it, its way too new for me. you couldnt pay me money to take that shot. i never get the regular flu shot either. i personally dont understand all this flu hysteria. i seriously feel like people are going nuts over it for no reason. wash your hands often, carry santizer with you, dont touch your face after being in a public area. i mean its just common sense.

i'm not getting it pretty much for the reasons stated above.  besides i couldn't tell you the last time i got a reg. flu shot, much less the flu so i'm not about to start now.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSPerry0376:

It's concerning to me that every single doctor I have asked if i should consider it has said "Hell no, and I wouldn't advise any other patient to get it either until more is known".

Just curious - exactly how many doctors have you talked to?

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Who cares? You're going to be a mother. Learn how to make a decision.  There's going to be lots of them.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • If your looking for your answer here, your in the wrong place. You'll get so many mixed opinions about this vaccine here.

Talk to your doctor, do your research, and make a decision for yourself. The CDC website is a good place to start, since many doctors consult this website for advice and thier statistics and studies are pretty accurate.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagepinktea:
    why aren't you getting it??  It's completely safe and by not getting it you could get pneumonia or even worse prego.. you could put you and baby in danger!

no vaccine is completley safe.

Married on September 11th, in honor of our fallen heroes.
  • I forgot to mention that the first swine flu string that showed up back in the 70's (i think) - also had a vaccine and caused Guillain-Barre syndrome.  I also understand that we've made numerous advancements in the medical field and I should not live on this fear.  That's why I am getting it eventually BUT I was so far along in my pregnancy , I decided not to.

I might have done a little more research if I would still been pregnant during high flu season. Who knows? maybe I would have gotten it.  

• I'm Not getting it.  Just a gut instinct...
  • squeeeeee!  Here we go!

"You're dumb!"

"No, you're dumb!"

"Oh yeah, well your dr. is dumb!"

"Oh yeah, SPerry, well every dr. I've talked to has said, 'You'd better get that vaccine!'"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i'd also like to add that if i was getting the reg. flu shot, i'd get the h1n1 too.  there's nothing different in the h1n1 except a different DEAD flu strand.
  • Didn't you just post this same topic last week?
  • I am hoping to get it, and it isn't available to me yet.  Here is why I want to get it, from what I've learned: 

From what I know, even the seasonal flu shot is "new" every year because each year, the strain of influenza can morph and change into a new strand.  So the thinking that the regular flu shot is safer because it's been around a while doesn't really hold true.

The vaccinations for both the regular flu shot and swine flu (the shot, not nasal mist) have dead viruses in them, not live. 

Pregnant women have died from H1N1.  Many who have not died have miscarried because of this swine flu.  Just the other day there was a post on here about someone who got the swine flu, and lost their baby at eight months pregnant.

image  imageimage image

O13 March Siggy Contest: AnArChY (I do what I want- & I want FOUR GIFS!)

• imageSPerry0376:

It's concerning to me that every single doctor I have asked if i should consider it has said "Hell no, and I wouldn't advise any other patient to get it either until more is known".

Just curious - exactly how many doctors have you talked to?

I was wondering the same thing...

• imageocho2002:
    Who cares? You're going to be a mother. Learn how to make a decision.  There's going to be lots of them.

No need to be a raging bit*h. 

• imageSPerry0376:

I'm not getting it. I think it's amazing that the CDC pushes it as though its the best thing since sliced bread, but theres still thousands of physicians out there who advise against it because they don't know the slightest thing about it. It's concerning to me that every single doctor I have asked if i should consider it has said "Hell no, and I wouldnt advise any other patient to get it either until more is known".

I'm not saying that there is anything at all wrong with it. It could very well be the best thing since sliced bread, but the key word in that statement is "COULD".

I respect every mother out there who gets it, but it's not a decision I'm comfortable making yet. I may change my mind, but we shall see.

My OB didn't exactly say that, but we talked for a while about it. He never, ever recommends a pregnant woman getting the regular flu shot unless they have asthma, diabetes, etc. Since I'm pretty much working from home now he said he doesn't think I should get either. 

The entire staff of all of the hospitals in my area ar getting the flu mist vaccine (regular and H1N1). It protects them from the flu, but it makes them infectious to everyone they come in contact with for 21 days! We joked about it and I was told to stay very far away from the hospital.

I am worried and he told me to get it if I feel like I need to, but he doesn't think I should. I'm still a bit unsure if I will get it.
  • I would do whatever your doctor advises you to do -- what does he/she say? Mine strongly advised I get it, so I did.
    My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!
  • I'm very pro-vaccine, and honestly, if you have gotten the seasonal flu shot, there's absolutely no reason to avoid the H1N1 shot.

But if you've never gotten a flu shot, I can understand choosing not to get it. Pregnancy is not the ideal time to try something new like that. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imageWAngelBear22:

Congratulations on your baby girl! She is adorable!!!

thanks Smile

• i'm not getting it. i just don't feel safe subjecting my baby to it. i mean, i haven't even taken so much as a tylenol! yes you hear that it's safe, just like the seasonal flu vaccine... but i don't feel like there's been enough testing done on either one to really know. especially the h1n1 vaccine.

there's SO much media hype over it this flu. the regular flu kills something like 250 000- 500 000 around the world every year, yet no one's panicking about that. i figure i'll take all the precautions i can to prevent getting sick. that makes me feel much safer than injecting who knows what into my body.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Firewife, show me something proven (not speculation) where a vaccine recommended by the CDC has caused anything more than a mild fever and a little itchiness and I'll believe you.

Vaccines were created to keep people from dying, not cause harm, and they don't.

• imageHeather R:

squeeeeee!  Here we go!

"You're dumb!"

"No, you're dumb!"

"Oh yeah, SPerry, well every dr. I've talked to has said, 'You'd better get that vaccine!'"

HAHA thanks for that

• imageTXTwisterBabe:
    Didn't you just post this same topic last week?

Yep, I wanted to hear it again.

Don't be mean to me, Hooter!  I'll throw down!  :P 

• I am hoping to get it, and it isn't available to me yet.  Here is why I want to get it, from what I've learned: 

From what I know, even the seasonal flu shot is "new" every year because each year, the strain of influenza can morph and change into a new strand.  So the thinking that the regular flu shot is safer because it's been around a while doesn't really hold true.

The vaccinations for both the regular flu shot and swine flu (the shot, not nasal mist) have dead viruses in them, not live. 

Sure the H1N1 vaccine is new, but so is this flu!  As much as some women don't want to be a "guinea pig" for this vaccination, I don't want to be a guinea pig to this flu itself!

Pregnant women have died from H1N1.  Many who have not died have miscarried because of this swine flu.  Just the other day there was a post on here about someone who got the swine flu, and lost their baby at eight months pregnant.

My final reasons are that people in my DH's office are getting sick with it, and now that it's so close to home, I want to be protected.  Also, DH and I are travelling to Florida in Nov. and I want to be protected on the plane and in the tourist spots.

image  imageimage image

O13 March Siggy Contest: AnArChY (I do what I want- & I want FOUR GIFS!)

• imageHeather R:

squeeeeee!  Here we go!

"You're dumb!"

"No, you're dumb!"

Tee hee.

• imageHeather R:

squeeeeee!  Here we go!

"You're dumb!"

"No, you're dumb!"

Followed of course by at least 3 separate NEW threads that all say, "stop arguing about it, this is dumb!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"