3rd Trimester

An open honest question, not trying to judge

For people who plan ahead to formula feed...why have you chosen that beginning for your baby?

Re: An open honest question, not trying to judge

• I chose to formula feed DS #1 because I wanted to. No other reason.
  • imageeamyg7:
    For people who plan ahead to formula feed...why have you chosen that beginning for your baby?

Sounds judgy to me. Because there couldn't be any medical reasons attached to someone's reason to FF right?

• Loading the player...
  • I am breast feeding, but up until i was 7 months i was 100% planning on formula, and my reason was.... for me, breast feeding seems soooo unnatural and i just had no desire to do so.  I know its completely natural but for me, it just sounded like nothing i could or wanted to do... however, i guess hormones kicked in and made me okay with it so i changed my mind...  but i coudl never judge a women for not breast feeding because i completely understand not wanting too... its something you really need to want to do in order to do it in my opinion!
  • Why do you have a picture of the Octo mom as your profile pic?
  • I will attempt to BF again... but if that doesn't work out again then I'm fully prepared to supplement with formula if necessary.

1/8/12 Confection Shrug Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Sounds judgy to me. Because there couldn't be any medical reasons attached to someone's reason to FF right?

Of course there could be medical reasons, my question was for women who PLAN to formula feed before they even try breastfeeding.

• imageeamyg7:

I think this is where you might have failed at being non-judgemental...

• :::eye roll:: ?I agree with PP, sounds judge~y to me. ?I guess your baby will have a much better beginning than mine.?
  • I'm not sure if you want people like me (breast and formula) to answer, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents...

I will be EBF for the first couple weeks and then supplementing with formula. Honestly, there are three reasons why I want to do this. First, so DH can feed our little boy without the need to have me pump. Second, I like the idea of formula feeding because we can do it easily out in public without needing to find a private place or purchase some sort of boob cover (I'm not comfortable whipping out a boob at the mall- kudos to women who are). Third, (this one's a bit selfish) I have really big boobs to begin with and I hate the idea of having even bigger boobs for breastfeeding.

So, that's why DH and I have made the choices we have!

• a girl in my childcare class's reason was " I'm 17, I have a life, I'm busy I need something you can shake and go".  I think it is necessary for some people.  My mom went back to work 9 days after I was born and couldn't pump.  Formula was a great option.  Some people also aren't comfortable with it, or they just don't want to.  I'm going to try but I also am aware that I may not be able to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Why do you have a picture of the Octo mom as your profile pic?

Its my head.

• Why not?   Baby is getting fed and is happy and healthy.   Why does there really have to be much of a reason?   Breast is best; however, it is marginally so.   Formula has come leaps and bounds over the years, and although not natural, it is healthy.    So, if a woman chooses to formula feed, I really don't think there needs to be a reason other than that's what she would prefer to do.   For me, I hated breastfeeding my first child, so this time I opted for formula.  

• imageJungleJulia:

imageeamyg7:

Sounds judgy to me. Because there couldn't be any medical reasons attached to someone's reason to FF right?

Yes Popcorn, anyone?

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • :::eye roll::  I agree with PP, sounds judge~y to me.  I guess your baby will have a much better beginning than mine. 

Im just wanting to hear peoples answers honestly. I plan to breastfeed and am so stuck on the idea that if theres any reason i cant Im going to feel like a failure. In the event of that happening, Id like to have a bunch of positive things in my head about formula.

• :::calls child protective services on all of you who are not breast feeding:::

haha  Devil

• We've decided to EP, but I have an open mind, to formula. Mainly because I'm nervous I won't produce enough milk for 2, but hoping upon all hope I can EP. We'll see.
  • imageeamyg7:

Of course there could be medical reasons, my question was for women who PLAN to formula feed before they even try breastfeeding.

regardless, your "open, honest question" where you were not trying to "judge" just fell flat. People have their reasons for choosing how to feed their children.

Women are judged enough in their lives. We're judged for staying home instead of working, working instead of staying home, bottle feeding, diapering, disciplining, etc. Why even start with this?

• A friend of mine FF because she had to be on blood thinners for a few months. She knew that prior to giving birth so FF was always her plan.

My SIL FF fed simply because she was not comfortable with BF. Some women just really just don't want to do it, and I feel strongly that it is their right to choose what they are most comfortable with. There is nothing wrong with choosing to FF. My nephews certainly didn't suffer because they weren't BF.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageeamyg7:

:::eye roll:: ?I agree with PP, sounds judge~y to me. ?I guess your baby will have a much better beginning than mine.?

?

Im just wanting to hear peoples answers honestly. I plan to breastfeed and am so stuck on the idea that if theres any reason i cant Im going to feel like a failure. In the event of that happening, Id like to have a bunch of positive things in my head about formula.

Then I hope you don't have trouble. ?There is no reason to feel like a failure. It's actually, IMO, posts like this that make people feel bad for FF and not BFing. It's not for everyone. It's not going to work for everyone. And I get the whole "breast is best" thing.. but the kids in my family who were BF are much sicker and have more illness throughout the year than the ones who were FF... so I just don't buy it. I say, do what you want to do.?

• imageDoodler:
    I am totally "pro-boob"  but I also have no desire to sh!t on someone for making another choice.....I think people have a huge range of reasons....from not feeling comfortable to not having the support, to previous breast surgeries...and so on.  Again...I am totally for breastfeeding, think it is great, the best, all that stuff...and I loved nursing my daughter...but I am not going to make anyone feel bad for using formula...I have dealt with plenty of negative comments about breastfeeding and have no desire to make another mom feel bad about formula...

this...

• "People have their reasons for choosing how to feed their children."

And I wanted to hear form some mothers what those reasons were.

"Women are judged enough in their lives. We're judged for staying home instead of working, working instead of staying home, bottle feeding, diapering, disciplining, etc. Why even start with this?"

Like I said, I wanted to hear some solid positive reasons for formula feeding to try to change my negative opinions about it, just in case I end up not being able to breastfeed.

• yikes. this post was a bomb.

I have to ask you, why do you feel it's okay to ask someone why they chose to make such a personal decision? 

• i don't have a problem with it. it's just not my thing so i ff. i did with my first and she was healthier than any of the kids i know that were bf. if for some reason dd has to be bf i will but that's not any the plans right now.
  • Non-judgemental = FAIL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am planning on trying to breastfeed however I may end up switching to formula. My reason is that if breastfeeding is not coming easily for me and LO I don't want to spend my entire maternity leave frustrated about it. In addition I will not be able to pump once I go back to work. The only two private places at the store I work are not well heated and it will be January in MN, it just won't work. I would love to give my LO the benefits of breast milk, but if it doesn't work than I am comfortable with formula. I was formula fed, I turned out fine and I am positive that science has advanced in formula far past what I was given 20 some years ago.  

imageimage
  • pretty much my response is "none of your business" 

thanks...that is all!

• imageeamyg7:

"People have their reasons for choosing how to feed their children."

And I wanted to hear form some mothers what those reasons were.

"Women are judged enough in their lives. We're judged for staying home instead of working, working instead of staying home, bottle feeding, diapering, disciplining, etc. Why even start with this?"

Like I said, I wanted to hear some solid positive reasons for formula feeding to try to change my negative opinions about it, just in case I end up not being able to breastfeed.

If you're looking for "solid positive reasons" perhaps you should rethink the way you phrase your question. I'm done.

• While I don't necessarily think this isn't judgmental, I'll tell you why I am. I had a breast reduction when I was 19. My surgeon told me that I would likely not be able to BF because of the way it was done and my breast tissue. So I chose not to try at all, and I do not feel one iota of guilt about it. My DD is fine and healthy. I'm not saying that breast isn't the best option for most, it just wasn't for me. I had zero desire to undergo the pain and frustration that was almost an absolute, even if it had worked.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • You might want to note that heading a post with "not trying to judge" is not great idea.

I don't "plan" on FF, but it may come down to it. DH is in school and I work full-time... pumping may not be an option and we cant afford for me to take off more than my two weeks of vacation. 

I don't think LO will mind that beggining if it means that it's parents will be able to give it a better life as a trade off.

• Let me rephrase your question for you:

Please talk to me about the benefits of formula feeding. I am feeling worried that I may not be able to breastfeed and would like reassurance that FF is another good option. Thank you! 

• I have to ask you, why do you feel it's okay to ask someone why they chose to make such a personal decision? 

Um because this is a site for pregnant women to discuss..everything. I know how dilated half your cervix's are, i know about the problems you have with your husbands, I know if the ones who have given birth pooped while doing so. AmI walking up to a formula feeding mother and demanding answers? No, im posting a question on a public board. Answer it or dont.

• I plan to breastfeed, but here are some reasons that might help you.

Formula Feeding: The Advantages

Breastfeeding is considered the best nutritional option for babies by the major medical organizations, but it's not right for every mother. Commercially prepared infant formulas are a nutritious alternative to breast milk, and even contain some vitamins and nutrients that breastfed babies need to get from supplements.

Manufactured under sterile conditions, commercial formulas attempt to duplicate mother's milk using a complex combination of proteins, sugars, fats, and vitamins that would be virtually impossible to create at home. So, if you don't breastfeed your baby, it's important that you use only a commercially prepared formula and that you do not try to create your own.

In addition to medical concerns that may prevent breastfeeding, for some women, breastfeeding may be too difficult or stressful.

Here are a few other reasons women may choose to formula feed:

Convenience. Either parent (or another caregiver) can feed the baby a bottle at any time (although this is also true for women who pump their breast milk). This allows the mother to share the feeding duties and helps her partner to feel more involved in the crucial feeding process and the bonding that often comes with it.

Flexibility. Once the bottles are made, a formula-feeding mother can leave her baby with a partner or caregiver and know that her little one's feedings are taken care of. There's no need to pump or to schedule work or other obligations and activities around the baby's feeding schedule. And formula-feeding moms don't need to find a private place to nurse in public. However, if Mom is out and about with baby, she will need to bring supplies for making bottles.

Time and frequency of feedings. Because formula digests slower than breast milk, formula-fed babies usually need to eat less often than do breastfed babies.

Diet. Women who opt to formula feed don't have to worry about the things they eat or drink that could affect their babies.

• imageeamyg7:

Not judgy? Really?

Because formula is food, not poison. I haven't chosen to starve my baby. She will still be eating, I promise.

EDIT: Fixed my typos...oops  Embarrassed

• I BF DD until she was 1 and I plan on doing the same this time around. However, unless someone is harming their child, then I really don't care how they feed their kid. Just like no one except DH should care how I feed mine. Formula is not poison. It is perfectly fine and there are millions of healthy happy kids and adults out there that were FF.?

Why do care? Its a personal choice. ?

• imageeamyg7:

:::eye roll::  I agree with PP, sounds judge~y to me.  I guess your baby will have a much better beginning than mine. 

Good things about formula, so as to remember that you are NOT a failure for feeding your child whichever way you choose (please note that I realize "breast is best" and I do believe it):

#1.  Formula is NOT evaporated or sweet and condensed milk - it has all the vitamins and such that babies need to thrive.

#2.  The studies done on breastfeeding and the result it can bring in children are full of variables and it is impossible to make some of the claims that these studies make:  Bottom Line:  Formula does not make your baby less smart, more prone to illness, less able to bond with mommy, more prone to behavior and learning problems, etc.    Genetics, environment, etc. play a huge part in the a lot of the aforementioned points.

EDIT:  fixed my "not" mistake!!   There are other benefits, obviously, but to list them is too much - just as to list all the pros of breastfeeding would be too many, as well.

• imageibis:

Let me rephrase your question for you:

Please talk to me about the benefits of formula feeding. I am feeling worried that I may not be able to breastfeed and would like reassurance that FF is another good option. Thank you! 

I've said it before and will say it again - listen to ibis, she is wise.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Here is an answer to your actual question.

Q: I want to know advantages to FF incase I am unable to BF

A: If you can't BF then you really don't have a choice do you? I guess the advantages don't matter then because you HAVE to feed your child.

• imageDoodler:

Awww...elle...my daughter was never sick...and still hardly ever gets sick :( ?

That isn't meant to crap on you....I heart you....

I just think people should mind their own business (not you...you said do what you want to do..and I agree).? My MIL drives me nuts about this whole topic....

Aw :) I heart you too :)

Layla was sick at 4 months and 5 months in the hospital.. but it was respiratory related.. and she picked up that gene from MIL.. I have no asthmatic problems (thank God) and it seems that she's grown out of it.. **knock on wood**

But the boys who were all BF are always sick. One is 7 and has even had to have a spinal tap! I feel so bad for him. I know it's got nothing to do with being BF.. I just hate that argument. 'Oh they're so much healthier in the long run' and I just think there are TONS of other factors that no one really thinks about (or at least they all get overshadowed by the whole BF debate).?

?

• i bf'ed DD and will bf this next baby.  but after reading this and other articles like it, i am starting to think it doesn't even need to be debated until there are more studies done.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=7424844&page=3

• I had no choice I crashed after both previous deliveries and needed a blood tranfusion with the last one. So with this little one I will not test fate and say he will be formula fed. Who know this might finally be an uncomplicated birth with no drama.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"