2nd Trimester

H1N1 death

A 5 year-old in my city died of H1N1.  She had symptoms for 2 days, then her parents took her to the ER and she died within an hour (https://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/15/san-diego-8212-stunned-news/).  Who doesn't wait a day or two after getting sick to go to the doc???  I was on the fence about the vaccine, but I figured I'd call my OB to see if they had it yet, and they won't until the end of the month.  I'm officially scared.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

Re: H1N1 death

• Wow thats crazy! I dont think Im  getting the vaccine because of all of the other things in the vaccine like mercury and formaldehyde.
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB specifically recommended not getting the H1N1 vaccine. He doesn't think its safe for anyone because its still so new.
  • We have had three deaths in NM this week.  I'm getting my shots today, thank goodness!
  • That is really sad.  You can brush up on your flu avoidence until the vaccine is out (visit the CDC's website).The same ole stuff, wash wash wash your hands, and avoid sick people. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OMG that is so so awful and sad.  :(

P.S. the vaccine comes mercury free

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is very close to home for me too, as I have a 5 yr old in the SD city schools as well. My heart goes out to this family.
    Effing crazy people.
  • imageaetennis:
    Wow thats crazy! I dont think Im  getting the vaccine because of all of the other things in the vaccine like mercury and formaldehyde.

FWIW, they will give pregnant women the merc/preservative free version.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrsRon:
    A 5 year-old in my city died of H1N1.  She had symptoms for 2 days, then her parents took her to the ER and she died within an hour (https://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/15/san-diego-8212-stunned-news/).  Who doesn't wait a day or two after getting sick to go to the doc???  I was on the fence about the vaccine, but I figured I'd call my OB to see if they had it yet, and they won't until the end of the month.  I'm officially scared.

Given the current rampancy of the flu, specifically the H1N1 strain...I don't. The second I felt myself getting sick over the weekend I called my doctor. Thankfully I just have a cold, but I was informed and educated enough to know that right now, calling as soon as your symptoms show up is the best idea if you actually are sick.

• I know, at first i was like "no big deal" now it really has be scared to death of the flu. My girlfriends son has the flu, and a kid at his preschool has H1N1, SO now im really scared. They are supposed to be watching my dogs at my house this weekend, while we are gone. I think ill just have someone come and check on them from my street..... I dont want to have a contaminated house of anything......... ya know..... Embarrassed
  • how many people die from the regular flu too? they dont tell you that on the news... I would recommend not getting it, it might be just as deadly
  • imageadcffaa:
    My OB specifically recommended not getting the H1N1 vaccine. He doesn't think its safe for anyone because its still so new.

This, I got the Flu shot..... for the first time ever!! 

• imageMarleyMay:
    how many people die from the regular flu too? they dont tell you that on the news... I would recommend not getting it, it might be just as deadly

?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=seasonal+flu+deaths&l=1

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageaetennis:
    Wow thats crazy! I dont think Im  getting the vaccine because of all of the other things in the vaccine like mercury and formaldehyde.

My OB signed up for the mercury free vaccine. She will be getting them in a few weeks, but I'm still on the fence.

• Scary.

I just got my flu shots today at my appointment.  It was the first day my dr was giving the shots out.  After talking with several Drs including my FIL, I decided to get it.  The shot is made the same way as the seasonal flu shot and the risks and complications associated with H1N1 for pregnant women outweigh the risks of a "new" vaccine.  Plus the seasonal flu vaccine is different every year anyway.   Despite all this, I'm still a little nervous about having gotten it, but in the long run i think I'll be more relaxed not having to worry about every sniffle I hear in the office. 

• imageMarleyMay:
    how many people die from the regular flu too? they dont tell you that on the news... I would recommend not getting it, it might be just as deadly

Are you a doctor? Is that why you recommend people not getting it?  I'd rather talk to my doctor and get her recommendation.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagemagdalina.h:

imageMarleyMay:

Are you a doctor? Is that why you recommend people not getting it?  I'd rather talk to my doctor and get her recommendation.

Agreed...wow is all I have to say about the first quote.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebiddybaby:
    imagemagdalina.h:

imageMarleyMay:

Agreed...wow is all I have to say about the first quote.

I think (I'm not sure...) that what she may have been trying to say is that pregnant women die from the regular flu every year too (non H1N1 strain) and she recommends not getting that flu either.

I think she was trying to advocate for getting the vaccine....it just came out weird.

• imageaetennis:

depending on where you go, you can get a vaccine (at least for the regular flu) that is preservative free. i would talk to your doctor if you are concerned with mercury. (plus the amount of mercury in the vaccines is equivalent to eating one fish, so its miniscule, but still there, so i understand your concern)

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageaetennis:

depending on where you go, you can get a vaccine (at least for the regular flu) that is preservative free. i would talk to your doctor if you are concerned with mercury. (plus the amount of mercury in the vaccines is equivalent to eating one fish, so its miniscule, but still there, so i understand your concern)

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • So very sad!  Breaks my heart and scares the crap out of me.
    Heather married 10.1.05 Brandon 12.9.06 Kristin 3.22.10 image
  • This same thing happened in albuquerque. A five year old died just hours after her family took her to the ER. It was very sad.
  • Thanks for the ideas :D We dont even have the vaccine here yet.. but I will really look into the preservative free vaccine when we get it here
  • Just to let everyone know that Im leaning towards not getting this not just because of what unharmful things that could be in it, but if I got sick off this at all Im screwed. Im diabetic and pregnant (of course) and my immune system is only concentrated on the lil one and nothing else. Im just iffy.
  • imageaetennis:

Don't look into what happens when aspartame is ingested then.  Then don't look into how much food it truly is in.  It truly is gross. 

That aside I am one of those people that is VERY against putting any sort of chemical into my body that is not needed to keep me alive.   I was told by all of my doctors if I did not get this shot I was putting my baby and myself at risk.  So, after doing some research and some praying I decided I will get the shot.  I feel just horrible for this family...so sad. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"