Babies: 3 - 6 Months

does your baby still get up at night?

Our DD is 4 months old and still wakes up most nights around 3am to eat (usually falls asleep around 9pm). I only give her a few oz of BM in a bottle and then she goes right back to sleep. However, this is getting pretty old. Anyone else? And can anyone think of anything I can to to try and get her to sleep at least til 5am?

Will baby #3 be another girl?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

]

Re: does your baby still get up at night?

• My son still gets up at least a few times every night, if not every hour for either food or a diaper change, so you're not getting any pity from me. I would imagine your only options are put her to bed later, or feed her more and hope it knocks her out longer. I don't really see a problem if she's going right back to bed though, it can't take more than 10 minutes to feed a few ounces.?
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ry still gets us about that time. Our pedi actually told us he's not hungry when he wakes up, but he just expects to get feed since that's what we have always done. She told us not to feed him since it's like rewarding a bad habit. I still feed him though. It's easier right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, she does.  My DD#1 didn't STTN until she was almost 3 & DD#2 was 8mo when I did CIO.  I really doubt my DD will be STTN anytime soon...I am not counting on it.
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
  • DD still wakes up, if she gets up at 2 then she gets up at 5 and will sleep until 8 but sometimes she wakes at 3:30 and then is up for good by 6:30-7:30

Pedi said we could start letting her fuss it out for her first wake up and then feed her the second time but her diaper is usually pretty wet and I hate to think she's uncomfortable.

• DS teased us for about 3 weeks by STTN (waking between 5-7am).  Now not only does he wake up between 2-3am to eat, but he tosses and turns, grunts, and makes a general racket for the rest of the night, consequently keeping me up.
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • imagejillianfries:
    Our pedi actually told us he's not hungry when he wakes up, but he just expects to get feed since that's what we have always done. She told us not to feed him since it's like rewarding a bad habit. I still feed him though. It's easier right now.

Sorry to knock your pediatrician, but that's really bad advice. ?I'm glad you still feed your baby. ?At four months your baby is not manipulating you, but either wants to be fed or just to be comforted. ??

• I would give my teeth to only get up once at night.  I am usually up 3 times between 8-7 and sometimes more.  Once, I would rejoice!!  Realize what you have and just let it be.  Esp. if your child goes back to sleep after eating.

• She didn't say he was manipulating us. She basically said it was habit. I've also started reading HSHHC and it says waking during the night has nothing to do with hunger and it's more about brain development. I just started, but it's pretty good so far.

And all this talk about sleep... I'm going to try and get some.

• Be thankful your DD only gets up once a night...my DD is almost 8 months and she's still getting up 2-3x a night. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would say to try not feeding when she wakes up.  However, if she is only getting up once, that really isn't that bad LOL, but I know what you mean. 

My LO goes to bed later (ya okay he actually just fell asleep) and he will probably wake up between 6 and 7 to eat and than go right back to sleep. 

• I've heard the 3/4am feeding is the hardest to drop.  DS1 dropped it around 4-5 months so I'm hoping DS2 will drop it soon.  No tips, just wanted to let you know this is normal and not necessarily something to fight!  GL!
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagejillianfries:
    Ry still gets us about that time. Our pedi actually told us he's not hungry when he wakes up, but he just expects to get feed since that's what we have always done. She told us not to feed him since it's like rewarding a bad habit. I still feed him though. It's easier right now.

Sounds like it's time for a new pedi.  That's terrible advice.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• imageStella2008:
    Our DD is 4 months old and still wakes up most nights around 3am to eat (usually falls asleep around 9pm). I only give her a few oz of BM in a bottle and then she goes right back to sleep. However, this is getting pretty old. Anyone else? And can anyone think of anything I can to to try and get her to sleep at least til 5am?

I'm in the same boat as you.  He gets up once around 4 or 5am to eat.  We are actually pretty lucky (that they only get up once and get right back to sleep).  She'll grow out of it when she's ready.

As far as moving the time that she wakes a little later, as PP said, you could try putting her to bed a little later.

However, I wouldn't mess around with an infant's sleep schedule in your case (sleeping a 6 hour stretch then waking once to feed and going right back to sleep).  You've got a good thing going - I'd be afraid to screw it up!

• She did last night.  Sad  She was pretty much STTN from 1 month to 3 months, then at 3 months she stopped for about two weeks.  Then she went another week STTN, but was up last night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejillianfries:

She didn't say he was manipulating us. She basically said it was habit. I've also started reading HSHHC and it says waking during the night has nothing to do with hunger and it's more about brain development. I just started, but it's pretty good so far.

And all this talk about sleep... I'm going to try and get some.

No... that's wrong.  For a one year old, sure, but it is normal and developmentally appropriate for a 4 month old to wake once at night for a feeding.  If your DD is waking once to eat and going right back to sleep after being fed, it's pretty logical that she's waking due to hunger.

• For the past 2 weeks, DS has been waking up 2-4 hours after we put him down.  I don't have to feed him, he just either needs to be repositioned in his crib and his paci back or he needs to go to the swing to continue sleeping.  So he's sort of STTN... he doesn't even really wake up when I reposition/move him.

• DS sttn at three months old for a good solid 4 weeks and has yet to sttn since...

He doesn't want to eat just he is up ... and will just cry if we don't pick him up ...and sometimes he wants to stay up for 2 hours. 

Lets just say that I been sleeping in the same room with him for over a month and yet to make it back to my bed.

Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Nope...he STTN 10+ hours, every night.  But when he first started STTN, he would occasionally wake up around 3:30 or 4am, I would just give him a paci and that was enough to fall back asleep.  If you use a paci...try that instead of feeding. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He was sleeping through the night but now he's waking up at least once at night to eat. Arg. We are going backwards.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • imagesosat01:

imagejillianfries:
    Our pedi actually told us he's not hungry when he wakes up, but he just expects to get feed since that's what we have always done. She told us not to feed him since it's like rewarding a bad habit. I still feed him though. It's easier right now.

Sorry to knock your pediatrician, but that's really bad advice.  I'm glad you still feed your baby.  At four months your baby is not manipulating you, but either wants to be fed or just to be comforted.   

My pedi told us the same thing about eating in the middle of the night being a "habit".  And that was at his 2 month visit!  She wanted us to stop feeding him in the middle of the night since we knew he could sleep till 5 or 6am.  So I started offering him a paci when he woke up, and that worked!  He only got up in the middle of the night a couple more nights...and the "habit" was broke.  So I don't think they need to eat, but I do agree they need to be comforted.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"