Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Need diaper rash help :o(

ike has had diarrhea for the past couple days (not sure if it's something he ate because he's not "sick" just lots of nasty diapers).  Well today he has what i assume is diaper rash, he screams bloody murder when i try to wipe him and put on the Aquaphor.  What do you do when DC has diaper rash?  Is there some sort of miracle numbing cream i can use?  It just breaks my heart that my baby hurts and i can't fix it Crying

Re: Need diaper rash help :o(

• I use the Burt's Bees diaper cream. Lili had a rash last night and she tried to kick me in the face when I took her diaper off, it was that bad. She was squirming and crying, but when I put the cream on, she instantly relaxed and stopped. Rash was gone this morning. 

Same thing happened this afternoon after she had a really nasty poo (stupid teeth!), and the cream worked wonders. 

Also, try using wash cloths wet with only water when you wipe, at least until the rash clears up.  

• Marino was pooping a lot more for a few weeks and he had the worst diaper rash (bleeding, would scream when he sat in the bath). We used Vusion (prescription) but it came right back after we stopped using it. Now we do a little naked time after his bath (air dry, no rubbing dry) and use liquid Mylanta (plain, of course, pour on irritated area) and that works great.
  • Loading the player...
  • People swear by using Maalox on it, I've always had good luck with the Desitin original formula (purple box), as well as Grandma El's Diaper Rash Ointment.  Poor Ike!  :(
  • We have been through that! A tub with some baking soda is a nice way to relieve some pain. Keep him creamed up and DD's usually goes away in 24 hours. :(

Maybe it was all that red frosting? Wink

Hope he feels better soon!

• I use a wet washcloth to wipe him off and slather on pinxav.  This stuff is the best product bar none for DS.
  • Go get some Pink sav--(Pinxsav) at CVS  your DS will love you for it and it does wonders on their butts, you will be amazed w/just the one use and how much better it looks afterwards.
  • warm wet only wash cloth to wipe them. let dry & apply Malox to sooth the acids. Lots of naked time. Vasoline once & only once fully dry. It's whats worked for us in the past.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We used Calmoseptine (pedi's rec) with great results, it acts as a protective barrier while healing and doesn't burn their butts.  We had to ask at the phramacy at Target to get it, but it is not prescription, it is just behind the pharmacy counter. 
  • I'm a fan of a little naked time, and Triple Paste with frequent diaper changes. 
  • imagemustangsallie:

Maybe it was all that red frosting? Wink

perhaps, lol.  I am thinking it's actually the grapes :o(

• If the standby desitin, Bordeaux's butt cream regimen doesn't work... this is what we used to do in the hospital for bad diaper rash (I am peds ICU RN)--Maalox swabbed on the bootie and leaving it open to air for as long as possible (easier said than done). ?Maalox coats the skin. ?It's also important to remember that even if your peanut has "leftover" cream on their bum with the next diaper change, don't wipe it off. ?Healing skin underneath will be taken off, leaving the area raw again. ?

Try soaking in the tub, too. ??

• We get diaper rash alot when her poop is acidic and burns her bottom. Usually it is from acidic foods or antibiotics for us. So, we use Triple Paste and A&D Ointment. Not mixed, just put the paste on and them put the A&D on. We also apply Maalox/Mylanta to her clean, dry bottom maybe 2x per day with a cotton ball and let that dry before applying the other stuff. This seems to balance out the acidity and soothe it too. I highly recommend all of this. I also use Aveeno Oatmeal bath packets last time it happened too b/c she couldn't even stand to be in the water. It seemed to soothe the area also.

Good luck! I know it is terrible. I'd also try not using baby wipe and just use wet paper towels incase the wipes are irritating. You can also rinse them off instead of wiping when possible.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FYI- We had to ask the pharmacist at CVS for the pinxav
  • Also rinse out your wipes with warm water, even though they are supposed to be alcohol free, there are still irritants. GL.?
  • Actually just called the pedi about this last week- DD had diaper rash so bad, I had to pick her up from daycare and stay home with her the next day (stupid molars!).

They told me to use Triple Paste at every diaper change, and don't wipe it off unless she's pooped.  Otherwise, keep slathering it on.  In the AM and PM, put on a thin layer of hydrocortisone cream before putting on a layer of Triple Paste.  Also, since her diaper rash was mostly red bumps, they told me to put a thin layer of Lotramin on 3x's a day so I did that at mid-morning, before nap, and after nap.

It's been about 4 days now and it's almost cleared up, but she's definitely feeling better and has been since about day 2 of the treatment.  GL!

m/c 9/22/07 at 8w5d...BFP 12/23/07! DD born 9/4/2008, BFP 2/14/13...DS born 10/22/2013 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all so much Left HugRight Hug
  • imageibfloridagirl:

ike has had diarrhea for the past couple days (not sure if it's something he ate because he's not "sick" just lots of nasty diapers).  Well today he has what i assume is diaper rash, he screams bloody murder when i try to wipe him and put on the Aquaphor.  What do you do when DC has diaper rash?  Is there some sort of miracle numbing cream i can use?  It just breaks my heart that my baby hurts and i can't fix it Crying

DS also has this this week.  I took him to the pedi just in case, and he said he might have a stomach bug.  He said cut out all fruit and fruit juice except for bananas and applesauce and otherwise give him lots of toast and rice.  These things are binding and will help with the diarrhea until the bug passes.  Also Gatorade and water -- and no milk or dairy except for yogurts. 

And yeah my DS also has bad diaper rash.  I have been doing naked time, washing the butt with just warm washclothes (not wipes), and lots of Desitin.  In my experience diaper rash usually goes away pretty quickly.

• Triple Paste!! It's a little expensive but it is so worth it!! We swear by it when DD has even the worst of diaper rash it takes care of it in no time!
  • Corona ~ it was orginially made for horses hoofs.  I swear by it!!  When DD's bum GLOWED it was the only thing that saved her.
  • Per the derm in my family, use the PURPLE Desitin. It has the highest concentration of zinc oxide, and that is the main rash fighter.

Triple Paste is great, but it still only has 10% zinc oxide (or something). Desitin Original has 40%.

Also, lots and lots of naked time!

• I didn't read the other replies. IMHO, don't waste your money on cream with less than 40% zinc oxide. If it doesn't clear up try lotramin and baking soda baths in case it's a yeast infection, after 3 days of that if it doesn't clear up then get a prescription from your clinic. DS has to be on prescription butt paste, nothing else works on him.
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"