3rd Trimester

Was anyone able too....

Ladies,

i know we are towards the end our our pregnancies, but i was wondering if any of you were able to cut caffeine and seafood out out of your diet?  I craved coke a lot during my pregnacy especially a COLD Coca Cola. I also loved to eat shrimp and fish some weeks i had it at least once. Im just curious since some doctors say caffeine  and seafood can be dangerous for the baby if anyone was able to go by the book.

Re: Was anyone able too....

• Definitely not me.

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. -FDR
  • I still drink caffeine and eat shrimp.

• Loading the player...
  • I've had caffeine a couple times throughout the pregnancy - more so lately; I haven't had ANY seafood though as the thought of it makes me ill...
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't. I could have- but didnt want to-

• i dind't drink caffeine the first 2 tri's, but then i read (on here and in other places) that it's not bad to have some-even every day.

and there are only a few types of seafood that you should stay away from-i eat salmon about twice a month and shrimp and crab whenever it's available, which isn't THAT often, but i don't avoid it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never had seafood so that was a no brainer and yes, I completely cut out caffeine
  • Um - no. I did cut back on the caffeine though (I was a large Dunkin Dougnuts coffee followed up by an afternoon Starbucks pre-pregnancy). I also have a Bennihanna obsession and it is not the same without the shrimp.

Baby Olive is just fine, although refusing to leave the nest.

• haha! Yeah right! I have a cup of coffee or iced tea just about every day and when I got to Starbucks I don't ask for decaf. *gasp*

As for the seafood thing - who told you that? There are only a handful of fish that should be avoided during pregnancy for their high mercury content. And as long as shrimp is de-veined it should be fine. As with any meat, it should be cooked through. But eating fish during your pregnancy is recommended. Omega 3 is good for you!?

• I haven't had any caffeine since we conceived.  I can't wait for a big glass of sweet tea!  It is a sin to go through summertime in the south without sweet tea!  :)
  • I actually really want coconut shrimp from red lobster now.
  • as soon as my m/s ended, and i didnt drink coca cola to settle my stomach [around 15 weeks], i stopped drinking caffiene. i had a small iced tea one time and it WASNT worth it. i almost passed out. But... i get panic attacks from caffiene.. always have.. so for me its been super easy to avoid it.
  • ::sips on an Coke full of ice::

No, and there is nothing wrong with seafood.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I haven't stopped eating shrimp.  Now, I mean I don't eat them everyday.  But, I wasn't told that I wasn't allowed to have them.  I used to eat a lot of other types of fish and honestly I really haven't been interested in eating fish. 

I did cut some caffeine out.  But, I hardly drank that much to begin with.  I always drank caffeine free soda because of migraines.  So, I haven't really changed much there. 

• imageDianeN9:
    as soon as my m/s ended, and i didnt drink coca cola to settle my stomach [around 15 weeks], i stopped drinking caffiene. i had a small iced tea one time and it WASNT worth it. i almost passed out. But... i get panic attacks from caffiene.. always have.. so for me its been super easy to avoid it.

AND im allergic to shellfish... so not eating seafood is nothing new to me lol

• No...I cant resists.. I have been craving soda, like crazy.....I try to get decaf soda...but sometimes its a major fail. I still eat seafood.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageB!tchBeckman:
    I actually really want coconut shrimp from red lobster now.

i love shrimp!!!

• I hated seafood to begin with, so no problem with that.  I have maybe 3 cups of caffiene a week.  Otherwise I switched to caffiene free.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies for all your responses. Some people here at my job are annoying about caffeine.........and but i just couldn't pull away from it.
  • My doctor said not to exceed 3 servings of caffeine in a day.  I also read in a pregnancy magazine not to exceed 300 mg of caffeine in a day (a can of pop is 40mg, according to the magazine).  I didn't drink too much pop prior to pregnancy, and I still have the occasional Dr. Pepper (maybe once every 2 weeks or so).  The only thing that makes me wary about it is that it doesn't have any good nutrients for the baby... but I definitely don't think it's going to do any harm.
  • imageOliveBerry:

Um - no. I did cut back on the caffeine though (I was a large Dunkin Dougnuts coffee followed up by an afternoon Starbucks pre-pregnancy). I also have a Bennihanna obsession and it is not the same without the shrimp.

Baby Olive is just fine, although refusing to leave the nest.

Aww he doesnt want to leave the comfort of momies tummy!

• I drink some caffeine and never even tried to cut out seafood, I just limit how much I eat. Fish is actually very, very good for you. You should eat it, but you should limit how much you eat in a week and avoid fish that is very high in mercury.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I drink soda & coffee in moderation. And I eat shrimp, scallops, salmon, and ::gasp:: even tuna from time to time.

My doc & midwife are fine with this. They just advised to stay away from fish with a high mercury content, like swordfish. In fact, they said that eating certain types of fish (salmon and such) is GOOD for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow- haven't seen a food post about seafood and caffeine since 1st tri.  Ahhh, the memories. 

I drink a cup of tea every morning and once in a while (now that my nausea is back, more often) I'll have an ice cold Pepsi.  Yum.  I ate some prawns last weekend on a date with my DH but other than that seafood never really sounds good.

• Not sure about caffeine since I don't drink it much but fish and shrimp are fine so long as you have it in moderation. I crave shrimp and so I've had it at least once a week and often times a couple times. I just love shrimp tempura rolls. Dr said it was fine. 
  • Me and my Dr. Pepper will not be parted until I start nursing.  I love it way too much.

I don't eat much seafood, but no, I haven't actually given anything up except alcohol.

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • i don't eat seafood although i have craved shrimp even though i don't like it. i didn't give in. i do drink caffeine. i love sweet tea and cherry dr. peppers.
  • I have eaten the "safe" seafoods - shrimp, crabs, lobster, regular tuna etc... here and there, but I have not really had a taste for it.

I cut out caffiene for our IVF cycle and have pretty much stayed off of it. I have had sips of Dh's soda here and there & I had an iced tea on vacay, but that is about it. I always get decaf if I give into Starbucks cravings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i never tried to cut it out.

I have tea every single day

i live on fish! i dont eat meat so fish is a huge part of my weekly diet. 

• Fish is good for you, just stay away from the high mercury ones. If you don't eat any then you should be taking a prenatal that says it has DHA in it. I believe it helps with brain development.

Caffeine is also ok in moderation. I think the limit is 200mg. My doc said I can still have one cup of coffee in the mornings although I don't do it offten. More of a tea drinker.

I could cut it out if i knew it would do harm but since I've been given the ok, then I have it especially a little salmon, tilapia, and I cannot stay away from shrimp! FitPregnancy.com has a really good salmon recipe! mmm..now im hungry....

• Nnot entirely- both in moderation, although I did do the shrimpfest thing at Red lobster!
  • seafood is perfectly fine to eat, there are just certian types you shouldn't like fresh tuna, swordfish (all of the fish with high mercury). Actually eating one to two servings of fish that is high in Omega fatty acids (like Salmon) is excellent for your childs brain development.

Caffiene, i have a small amount every week (probably 8-12 ounces a week).

Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"