3rd Trimester

Not doing classes...anyone else?

We decided not to do classes...should we be? We did the tour, but no childbirth classes because everyone said they are pointless unless you are going natural and the new parents class seems like common sense things...Anyone else not going to classes?

Re: Not doing classes...anyone else?

• i'm not... i dont see a point.
  • We are just doing the tour.... I did classes with my dd 5 years ago and they were a total waste of my time :)

• Loading the player...
  • We're not. We signed up for some, went to the first class. Once we found out what we would be "learning" through the next 8 weeks we said forget it, it would have been a waste of our time

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• im not going to classes and i plan on going natural ..

• Nope. I feel educated enough with my own research and talking to friends/family. My doctor and nurses are wonderful, too, and will walk me though everything anyway.
  • I didn't and I don't think I missed anything by not. L&D was pretty self explanatory and I had an EPI, so I didn't need to do much besides push when they told me to...
  • We're not doing them. I did a poll on the 0-6 board and the majority agreed if you're getting the epi, you really don't need the classes. I think FI and I might rent some videos instead.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just an FYI...getting an epi doesn't always mean you'll be pain free.  They don't always work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • No. I did with DS, and don't feel the need to repeat them. I do want to do some more research on my own b/c I'd like to go med free. But, the childbirth class itself was pretty much a joke, so I won't be repeating it.
  • We're not.  I figure they will tell me what I need to know when the time comes if it's that important.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we didn't with my DS.  i felt like everything came as instinct to me, but i wish DH would have been more prepared for how intense it would be and how much pain i would be in.

i ended up with a c/s after 2 hours of pushing, so no need to try for classes this time.

• My biggest fear is the epi not working....I wonder what the percentages are of this happening.
  • We are not taking any either.  We are reading books and saving money for other things.
  • I'm not, I am working right up until she is born, I have to go to the dr. twice a week for hour long appointments, and there is just really no time.
  • We were going to, but then I didnt pay in time so we got un-registered (I forgot)...so now Im kinda thinking we may skip it altogether. Confused

• I'm not. I've done hours of research online on breathing techniques and ways to deal with labor pain, also watched every episode of birth story for the last 4 months, so I think I'm prepared as I can. And I will be hoping to get an epi.

• Even if I weren't going natural I'd want a little background knowledge.  Maybe not from a class, but I'd pick up a book or do some reading online.  I'd at least want to know things like optimal timing for an epidural, other options for pain management, options for care for LO after birth, what types of drugs might be used and their side effects.  I'd also want some knowledge on positioning for pushing.  This can be useful even if you are less mobile.  A little knowledge could help save you from a tear or episiotomy

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagei*heart*him:
    My biggest fear is the epi not working....I wonder what the percentages are of this happening.

I was told this really depends on how good your anesthesiologist is.

I do not plan on taking child birth classes but do plan on taking a breastfeeding class.

• We were signed up for a class this next Saturday but then DH found out he has a 4 day weekend so we are taking a small road trip instead Smile I called to re-schedule and the earliest they could get us in is Nov. 14th which is 9 days before my due date.... pushing it a little, but we're signed up. I figure if we can't make it, it won't be the end of the world!
  • I'm not attending the classes. I'm educated enough to know what to expect not to mention the fact i did it 8 years ago with my son so im pretty sure not much has changed when it comes to giving birth.
  • I wanted to, but our schedule has been so hectic with moving and unpacking, we weren't able to go during the only time the classes were offered...I've just been researching online so I'm a little bit more informed when the time comes.
  • Dh and I are going to skip the classes. I figured when the time comes I wil have the Dr & nurses telling me what I should be doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"