Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

So my boss used me in a lie to his fiance

So my boss is getting married this month and consequently he and his FI are in a spending freeze.  However, they are prepping their house to put it on the market.  So, boss finds an ottoman he wants for the house and orders it from Target.com.  He had hoped to see if he liked it and then tell his FI about it or send it back if he didn't like it with her never being the wiser.

Well, his plan failed.  His FI got home before he did, saw the box and called him.   He pretended to not know what it was and suggested that perhaps it was a wedding gift from someone.  After unpacking and there being no gift card or anything included my boss suggested to his FI that he had told me he was looking at ottomans and since I used to work at Target, maybe I bought it as a wedding gift for them.

WTF?!?  A) Who buys someone else a piece of furniture as a wedding gift when they didn't register for it?  B) I've never seen their house and would have no idea what his taste is.  C) What kind of a weirdo involved a coworker in a lie to their FI?  D)  Don't you think there might be a problem with your relationship if you feel compelled to lie about something like that?

I told my boss that he has to come clean b/c I don't want his fiance thinking that I am that presumptuous as to buy a piece of furniture for them that they didn't register for.  Unless his FI is totally clueless, I think she might find it a bit odd when I show up at the wedding with a gift.  I just don't want to be involved in anything like this b/c I can see nothing but problems down the road (e.g. jealousy or her thinking that boss and I are too familiar).  What a weasel!  He better come clean b/c I will not pretend that I sent that gift.

Re: So my boss used me in a lie to his fiance

• Options
    He needs to grow a set...STAT.  If he's too scared to tell his FI about a piece of furniture he bought, I think they have far more problems than this little diddy.
  • Options
    Well, now you don't have to buy a present!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's weird & a potential warning sign for the FI. It'd be a huge red flag for me if DH was lying about what he spent money on before we got married.
  • Options

Once she finds out it's on his credit card, is he going to tell her you must have stolen his identity?

• Options
    imageLoriFalce:

Once she finds out it's on his credit card, is he going to tell her you must have stolen his identity?

This made me LOL!  They don't have joint accounts yet.  He is by far the bread winner and she has a history of being irresponsible with money (he not so much), so it's kind of ridiculous that she is giving him a hard time about spending money.

• Options
    He has issues. I would mark "buy boss a wedding gift" off my list of things to do and call it a day.
  • Options

imageinbetweendreams:
    He has issues. I would mark "buy boss a wedding gift" off my list of things to do and call it a day.

This is exactly where my mind went!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"