1st Trimester

Not following my OB's advice

The weekend before I got my BFP I got tangled up in some poison ivy while doing yard work.  I've had this @!#@& rash all over my body for a week and a half now. 

I went to see my GP yesterday, and after talking to my OB (who I haven't even met yet!) they decided to give me a prescription for prednisone.  My GP explained that prednisone is a Class C medication that's not usually given to pregnant women, but my OB said that it would be ok for me to take.  After I left my GP, I called my OB because I was still feeling very uncertain about taking something that's not usually given to pregnant women.  She basically told me that pregnant women don't like to volunteer for clinical trials of medications, so there aren't any studies to prove that it isn't safe to take it.  She was really pushing me to go ahead and take it though.

I did a little bit of research online, and basically found that for Class C medications, animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans.  In certain situations though, the benefits of taking the medications outweigh the risks.  For prednisone, the increased risks are for miscarriage, limb defects and cleft palates.

I decided that I'm not going to take it.  I'm following my gut here, but I don't really feel like my OB was totally up front with me about the risks.  I guess I'd rather put up with the itchy skin and let my body heal itself even though I've been miserable.  What would you have done?

Re: Not following my OB's advice

• I agree with you!  That's a huge risk to take...I would have done the same thing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've never had poison ivy- will it subside on its own eventually? If so, I'd probably due the same thing that you are doing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Prednisone is a little scary generally. But I guess it depends on how bad your poison ivy is. Is it OK to use topical antihistamines like benadryl while you're PG?

I take an antidepressant (celexa, and ssri) which is a class C medicine, and know quite a few pregnant women that have taken class C medicines while pregnant. It's not ideal, and you need to do what you're comfortable with obviously. What cinched the decision for me is the fact that my depression has been pretty severe in the past. Also I have a friend who is a psychiatrist, and she took ssri's through both of her pregnancies...since she's an MD I trust her judgement...

• I probably wouldnt have taken it either.  I am suffering from horrid allergies that are keeping me up at night, and I won't even take Benadryl.  Honestly, if it isnt life threatening, I am not taking it, especially in the first tri when everything is still developing.
  • I wouldn't take it either.  I had HORRIBLE poison ivy last year that finally went away after five months (!!!!), and the pink calamine lotion stuff worked fine.
  • I have posion ivy too! Running through the woods with my dogs before knowing I was pregnant.

Anyway, I agree with you. I feel like that was a really shady thing of your OB to do. You should have been notified of the risks right up front, rather than researching it online! geez. My doctor had went through all of the medication that I'm on, and went over it in detail according to the big, fat book they have that says what class it is, and explained the different classes to me. Your OB should have done that with you, even if it was just over the phone. Not cool.

I hope your posion ivy feels better soon. Itching it horrible!!

• There's no way I would take it either!  Does it make you apprehensive about using this OB?
  • Try calamine lotion. Works wonders!
  • I have been taking benadryl and using an anticortisone cream since we figured out what was going on.  I'm really hoping it will subside soon.  It seems to have finally stopped spreading, which I'm taking as a good sign.

I just don't think this is a situation is one where the benefits outweigh the risks... 

• imageLaViolett:
    There's no way I would take it either!  Does it make you apprehensive about using this OB?

Yes!  I'll wait and see how the first appointment goes though...

• imagemissdanib:
    I probably wouldnt have taken it either.  I am suffering from horrid allergies that are keeping me up at night, and I won't even take Benadryl.  Honestly, if it isnt life threatening, I am not taking it, especially in the first tri when everything is still developing.

Me tooo! My allergies have been awful the last few days, especially yesterday. My PCP prescribed me Xyzal which is pretty strong I guess because it works for me right away as opposed to claritin and zyrtec. I spoke with the OB nurse this morning and she said not to take it anymore and to turn to claritin, zyrtec, or benadryl. But, just like you, I'm not going to take any unless my allergies are unbearable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Can't they prescribe you something else? Even calling your GP? and yes I agree i wouldn't take it either.
  • I would have done the same thing, I hope you start feeling better soon.
  • imageemily0829:

I have posion ivy too! Running through the woods with my dogs before knowing I was pregnant.

Anyway, I agree with you. I feel like that was a really shady thing of your OB to do. You should have been notified of the risks right up front, rather than researching it online! geez. My doctor had went through all of the medication that I'm on, and went over it in detail according to the big, fat book they have that says what class it is, and explained the different classes to me. Your OB should have done that with you, even if it was just over the phone. Not cool.

Oh no!  It is horrible.  I've actually had a lot of luck using ice packs when I start itching.  It kind of numbs the itch enough that I don't want to scratch.  I hope we both get over it quickly!

• imagemissdanib:
    I probably wouldnt have taken it either.  I am suffering from horrid allergies that are keeping me up at night, and I won't even take Benadryl.  Honestly, if it isnt life threatening, I am not taking it, especially in the first tri when everything is still developing.

This is how I feel exactly! I have horrible allergies and insomnia but I'm not taking anything the first tri.  I just don't feel comfortable.

• I had a terrible case of poison ivy shortly after I discovered I was pregnant.  My midwife said in no uncertain terms that she would never prescribe me prednisone while pregnant.  Try caladryl and oatmeal baths, that is much safer and very effective.
  • I would NOT take it, but it took me three days of massive headaches just to finally take a tylenol. I am very careful and tend to try to heal naturally with everything. But this sounds scary, so NO, never would I risk it. 

Have you tried an Aveeno oatmeal bath? 

• Follow your gut--I agree with your judgement call.

In defense of your doctor, though--it is their job to make you feel comfortable.  What they prescribed wasn't working, you let them know you were still miserable, and they gave you the next option.  If you take that option is up to you.

I agree that the classes should have been more thoroughly described, as well.  Perhaps bring up your findings when you meet with your doctor and see what s/he says?  Maybe that explanation will make you feel more at ease with your practitioner.

I hope you feel better soon!  I can only imagine how miserable you must be. :( 

• I feel so bad for you, poison ivy is the WORST.  I probably wouldn't take it either, but I feel so bad you can't.  I had poison ivy when I was nursing and I called my pedi and lactation consultant and they said it was okay....but I know how you feel. 
  • OB's will a lot of times prescribe things that are class C. For example, I know a lot of women that take Phenergan for morning sickness or other nausea/vomiting during pregnancy, however that is a class C drug. My OB prescribed it when I was pregnant with my DD @ 20 weeks when I ended up with the stomach flu. He never told me it was class C and I had no idea. I went to fill it at the pharmacy and the pharmacist refused to fill it and showed me that it was a class C. He went and grabbed me a bottle of OTC Emetrol and told me to try that for 24 hours and if I couldn't stop vomiting then he would fill the prescription. Luckily, the Emetrol did the trick.

A lot of times OB's do not look at Class C drugs as "harmful" because there isn't proof of harm in humans and they look only wish to stop your symptoms that are causing you problems. It's really up to you to decide if the risk is worth taking. I think that's another reason everyone needs to make sure the pharmacist knows they are pregnant and discuss it with them since their Specialty is in drugs. They can often recommend something else or call and talk to the doctor about changing a prescription.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• imageaimeelv:
    imageemily0829:

I have posion ivy too! Running through the woods with my dogs before knowing I was pregnant.

Oh no!  It is horrible.  I've actually had a lot of luck using ice packs when I start itching.  It kind of numbs the itch enough that I don't want to scratch.  I hope we both get over it quickly!

Ah-ha! Excellent Idea! Maybe I'll get some relief now. Thanks for the tip :)

I would really enjoy it if poision ivy became extinct.

• Good for you for doing your own research and following your gut!

The flu shot is also a class c drug and doctors recommend it all the time for pregnant women ~ it's really scary how much blind faith our society places in the medical profession!

• Scrub yourself with baking soda on a damp washcloth -- it will help with the itching -- and then swap white vinegar over the rash. Yes, you'll smell like a salad, but it will dry up the ivy pretty quick.
  • listen to your gut instinct
  • My OB told me I could take my Adderall after the first tri. Its class c. I decided not to.

OB's word isn't absolute. What you did (doing your own research) was absolutely the right thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"