Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Just curious (esp. for those who went natural)

Did you scream during labor? Random, I know. The nurses looked at me like I was insane lol. I definitely panicked and screamed during transition. Was I the only one?

Re: Just curious (esp. for those who went natural)

• Nope, I was super quiet, it hurt more if I tried to talk, LOL!
  • no, i was actually quite quiet!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep.  I screamed...loud!!

It was to the point that my OB told me that my screaming was wasting energy, 

I didn't care. I had no plans to go med free,  I wanted the epi, but progressed too fast.  I got to the hospital at a 4 and was a 10 in an hour and had her 25 minutes later. 

Hell yes I screamed.

• I screamed, grunted, and made horrible faces, And these were not the Hollywood movie type labor screams- I know I sounded and looked like a freakshow. My active labor basically went right into transition and those contax were PAINFUL (no epi), So I didn't even care- anything to get her out!

DH recorded the delivery with the video cam, and it will be a LONG time before I am ready to watch!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemel1987:
    Nope, I was super quiet, it hurt more if I tried to talk, LOL!

This!! I dialated to 6cm before my epi gave me complete relief and during that time I wanted silence in the room and did not want anyone talking to me. I was silent, other than my breathing techniques.

• imagelaurenshay:

Yep.  I screamed...loud!!

I didn't care. I had no plans to go med free,  I wanted the epi, but progressed too fast.  I got to the hospital at a 4 and was a 10 in an hour and had her 25 minutes later. 

Hell yes I screamed.

Holy crap. I was 4cm when I got to the hospital at 9am and didn't give birth until 4:21pm. I cannot imagine doing it without the epi.

• I was quit calm until around 7 where I then waited 30 mins to get  epi(I almost didn't get it)  but then I was all calm again, everyone wondered if they gave me the wrong drug as I was was to happy (lets just say I am a weirdo who is always happy)
  • imageMarried2mybff:
    imagelaurenshay:

Hell yes I screamed.

It was no fun.  More power to the women that choose to do it med free.  I can't imagine choosing this.  I'm a weenie.  I paniced when they told me that I couldn't have the epi.  Ugh.  It hurts just thinking about it.  I'm just thankful that it went fast. 

• imagelaurenshay:
    imageMarried2mybff:
    imagelaurenshay:

Hell yes I screamed.

It was no fun.  More power to the women that choose to do it med free.  I can't imagine choosing this.  I'm a weenie.  I paniced when they told me that I couldn't have the epi.  Ugh.  It hurts just thinking about it.  I'm just thankful that it went fast. 

That was basically my experience too. Maybe we screamed because we wanted the epi so bad and they said no? lol 

• I didn't make it to pushing, but I know I made a few low grunts during the really bad Pitocin contractions after the epis failed. I never felt the need to do more than that, the idea of wasting energy screaming just goes over my head. All I wanted to do was curl up and conserve as much strength as I could. Of course, I also never felt an iota of panic, so maybe that's why. I was always calm, just in a lot of pain.?
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevjrun21:
    imagelaurenshay:
    imageMarried2mybff:
    imagelaurenshay:

Hell yes I screamed.

That was basically my experience too. Maybe we screamed because we wanted the epi so bad and they said no? lol 

Oh man. I screamed at anyone who walked in the door to give me drugs! I screamed at everyone in the vicinity of me.  I feel bad  looking back on it.  I yelled at my mom.  She is the one that took me to the hospital ( she was in town to help he prepare for baby and i happened to go into labor while she was there).  DH told me that mom took a picture of my OB because all he wore was cargo shorts, a tshirt and boot covers.  She thought it was funny.  I thought she was taking a picture of my lady parts and I told her, "You better put that shiiit away!."  That is so not me. I was in so much pain that I didn't care if I hurt someone's feelings.

• I had an epidural, but they turned it off after I had been pushing for a little over an hour. It took me another hour to get her to crown, and though my legs were still slightly numb and hard to move, I could feel everything that was going on. I squealed, but I never out and out screamed. I imagine if I'd had no epidural at all, I would have yelled.  There was a woman in a nearby room that was absolutely howling.
  • i was definately loud. couldn't help it.
  • imagemel1987:
    Nope, I was super quiet, it hurt more if I tried to talk, LOL!

This! I almost think that my MWs would've been more comfortable if I'd been screaming, though: everyone was whispering around me and I could tell that they were just staring at me...I don't think quiet was the norm where I delivered! I just didn't have the energy to make noise AND stay on top of the contractions. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ended up with an epi, but got it at 8cm.  I had no problem making some noises at that time.  My room was right outside the nurses station with the door open..they didn't seem phased.
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I screamed really loud and the only one who thought I was crazy was my mom! 
  • I yelled, grunted and was breathing very hard. I'm sure it was very attractive. My favorite part was when I was pushing and she was crowning, I actually snorted once when I was trying to catch my breath!! DH and I laugh about it now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image   and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had an epidural that wore off by the time I started pushing so I kept yelling, "Why do I feel everything?" The nurse and the doctor were like, don't yell, it makes the pain worse!
  • Nope, no screaming. ?I had a homebirth (about as natural as it gets) and I certainly made noises, but it wasted too much energy to scream or yell and I still don't know how women scream while they push. ?I couldn't do anything but focus and push, screaming or making noise of any kind seemed impossible. ?In between pushes I did have this shaky, quivering moan, but that was it.
  • I got to the hospital at an 8 and dd was out in an hour. Definitely noisy, but not so much "scream". More gutteral and moany with an occasional bad word. The nurses were laughing b/c I apologized after cussing.
  • I really wanted an epi as well but arrived at the hospital at 10cm so was not allowed to get one.  I didn't scream but made lots of loud grunts and moans. Everyone was just shocked that I walked in so dilated.  My doctor didn't arrive until he was crowning so the nurses were great!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS1 and the epi- no. With DS2 and no epi, yes. Just at the end when I started to panic because I felt the need to push and it was so painful trying to hold him in. After staying calm and doing a great job breathing the entire time, at the end I had about 10-15 minutes of screaming and hyperventilating.
  • I screamed during pushing and I had an epidural!

As I explained to my DH - I wasn't so much in pain (thanks epidural) but the pressure was amazingly crazy - and letting out some noise actually helped me focus my pushing much better than holding my breath (which was what the nurse had me doing).

• I sure did. I had an epi, but it had mostly worn off by the time I started my THREE hours of pushing. I screamed for sure when I got an episiotomy (I felt every bit of that) and again when I tore further. DH told me later that I screamed a lot, but I only remember those two times (they were really painful!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • I didn't scream but I sure as hell yelled. I remember hearing another woman yell down the hall at one point and I yelled back, "I feel ya sister!"

ETA: I went natural for 18 hours and was going through transition at 6cm. I could not stop myself from pushing so that with the pain of a sunny side up baby def. caused some yelling. I ended up getting the epi after I was told pitocin or c/s.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • I don't think I screamed. I moaned and grunted a lot. And really heavy breathing. I think I was clawing at Joe's arm for most of it too.
  • Moe told me that I was scaring the other patients toward the end.  He said that the other patients were begging for epidurals.  I was screaming like nothing I had done before.

By the way, David's picture is adorable!  He looks so cute and is getting so big!  I hate how fast they grow up :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely screamed until I got my epi. They sent me home the first time I went in, after I had been in labor for 9 hours already. The second time I went in, they almost sent me home again, so I was actually crying and screaming at the same time! It was horrible!
  • I did not go natural, but I had an epidural and felt absolutely NOTHING for 16 hours. Of course, my little guy was face up so I made up for all that pain in the 2 hours when I was pushing. I didn't scream, but cried uncontrollably instead. I was a mess!
  • no screaming...just grunting while pushing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"