High-Risk Pregnancy

~~Bed Rest Mama's Wednesday Check In!~~

Please let me know if anyone needs to be added or removed, or if anything about your status has changed.

Here is a list of nesties who can commiserate together during bedrest. Nothing better to do, right? Share your story, progress, news, and any ideas of how to keep yourself busy. Check in will occur each day on the High Risk Pregnancy Board in the mornings.

Post back with your info if you?d like to be added to the list!

We have quite a few new girls! Welcome!

QOTD: How scared are you of labor or a c/section? What are your biggest fears for bringing baby home??

Name: jennandjt (Jen)
EDD:  September 22nd
Type of BR: strict bedrest with bathroom privileges and the occasional trip downstairs to the recliner. All meals are delivered by my DH as I do not want to spend anymore time than I have to putting pressure on my cervix!
Since when: April 22.....19wk2day
Reason: during my BIG ultrasound they found my cervix 1.5 cm dilated and I went in for an emergency cerclage. Hoping to hold on to this pregnancy as long as possible as I was given a 50, 50 chance....would love to beat those odds!!

Name: Mrs.Babbsy
EDD: 10/13/09 Mono-di twin GIRLS:)
Type: Full bedrest with shower and bathroom priveleges
Since: 5/20                                                                                
Reason: Preterm Labor, shortening cervix and baby B is 18% behind.

Name: Lucky428
EDD:  10/13/09
Type of BR: Modified
Reason: small placental tear

Name: Realisticdreams8
EDD:  11/9/2009
Type of BR: Modified, Basically House Arrest and stay off my feet
Since when: May 29, 2009, 16 weeks 4 days
Reason: spotting, cramping/pain from marginal placenta previa

Name: 2baclark (Shanika)
EDD: 11/10
Type of BR: Modified bedrest. Can get up to use the bathroom, shower and brush teeth
Since when:  5/19
Reason: Incompetent cervix.

Name:  mrsjrmiller (Arika)
Due date:  October 21
Since when:  22w 5d (June 22)
Type of Bedrest: Strict, can shower, use bathroom obviously go to my appointments... 9/02/09 - Hospital bed rest till Lauren is here... :(
Reason:  preeclampsia

Name:  Jen (Jen*Johnson*)
Due date:  October 29th
Since when:  20w (June 12)
Type of bedrest: Modified... I am allowed to do what's necessary to watch my 9 month old but I need to be laying most of the day still.
Reason:  Low Amniotic Fluid.

Name:  Francisca
EDD:   10-25-09
Type of BR: Hospitilized, bed pan and IV until either 32 wks or I stop contracting and re-efface a little
Since when: 07/7/09
Reason: pre term labor

Name: Jessica (JessandJeremy)
EDD:
10/4/09  
Since when: 7/18/09
Reason: PT Contractions

Name: Jessica-Kay
EDD:
9/20/09 
Type of BR: Strict (up to use bathroom and shower)
Since when: 7/11/09 (29 weeks 6 days)
Reason: PT Contractions and positive Fetal Fibronectin test.

Name:  mefsta777
EDD: 1/4/10
Type of BR: Modified, no more than 30 minutes of sitting or standing, no leaving the house
Since when: 7/31/09
Reason: "threatened miscarriage" and placental abruption

Name:  megan (megsok11)
EDD: November 11, 2009
Type of BR: strict - only quick shower, bathroom, food, and doctor appt.  hope to get modified BR after 28wks, but i know i won't be able to go back to work.  Getting 17P injections from home health weekly until 36wks, and received betamethasone injections at 24wks.
Since when: July 14, 2009 (23wk 0d)
Reason:  one episode of spotting, vag US showed cervical funneling.  no risk factors, first pregnancy, no spotting since that one time

Name: Angeline924
EDD:
 11/28
Type of BR:
 strict bedrest. Can get up to use the bathroom, shower( 5 min every other day)
Since when: 
 7/30 22w3d
Reason:
 Incompetent cervix, I was dilated 2 cm w/ bulging bag at last appt, had an emergency cerclage

Name: Cindy (Timmylulu)
EDD: 10/16
Type of BR: wasn't specified but for the next week I can use the bathroom, shower, make lunch, go to dr. appointment and my baby shower this weekend
Since when:  8/7 (29w 6d)
Reason:
History of loss at 21 weeks, reason unknown, but I went into labor early and baby boy was too young to live. This pg I have been getting P17 shots weekly
starting at 16 wks and biweekly us starting at the same time. At my visit last week my cervix shortened from about 30-31 to 29 but when pressure was applied it went to 27 so dr. wants me off my feet

Name: Mandy (mandyunc2003)
EDD: 11/10 (more realistically, 10/13-10/27 since it's di-di b/g twins)
Type of BR: Strict!  Allowed to get up for restroom breaks and meals only.
Since when:  8/6 (26w 2d)
Reason:
Went from 3.7cm to 2.4cm within 3 weeks, and Baby A (girl) is only in the 9th percentile for weight (1 lb 11 oz).  Baby B is doing great and checked in at 2 lbs (45th percentile), so I'm ordered to eat every 3 hours and make it fattening :)   

Name: Erica (ericacathryn)
EDD: 1/29/2010
Type of BR: Modified, but this was explained as only getting up for meals and bathroom breaks.
Since when:  8/5
Reason:

Subchorionic hematoma that keeps getting bigger. 

Name:Sarah
EDD: 9/29
Type:hospital with bathroom rights and one 30 min.
wheel chair ride a day
Since When: 8/5 @ 32 weeks
Reason: mild pre-e with previous late loss so they want me closely monitored.

Name: JustMeg8378 (Megan)
EDD:
10/22
Type:
Just released from hosp. sent home on strict BR with bathroom/shower privleges
Since When:
7/31 at 28w1d
Reason:
Pre-Eclampsia

Name:  MrsDeLaVara
EDD: 11/06/09
Type of BR: Strict - Hospital until delivery.. can get up to pee and that's about it.
Since when: 08/10/09
Reason: Water broke on 08/10 at 27w3d.

Name:  retroeva (Eva)
EDD: 18 Oct 09
Type of BR: Modified Couch Potato ;)
Since when: 17 Aug 09
Reason: GD, dizzy spells, and pre-term contractons

Name:   mhenry (Marisa)
EDD: C-Section scheduled Dec 16, 2009
Type of BR: Bedrest while still taking care of my 2 yr old w/ help (for now)
Since when: August 10, 2009 (21 weeks)
Reason: High Blood Pressure. The doctor is being pro-active due to me having my son Cameron at 29 weeks from Pre E.

Name:  Jenn (JennRN65)
EDD:
  10/31/09 (undecided whether scheduled induction or C/S at 38 weeks)
Type of BR:
  Modified, bathroom and shower priviledges, can cook for myself, dr.'s appts, and pre-natal classes/baby shower as long as I sit
Since When:
  8/14/09 (28w, 6d), though on 8/7 my work hours were cut in half and I was told to do nothing at home
Reason: 
Contractions, Dizzy spells when upright, GD, 2 clotting disorders, and history of Pre E, PTL, 3 abruptions (one of which was a full term still born), and 3 m/c.

Name: Hipstrix (Chrissy)
EDD: October 9, 2009 but c/s scheduled for October 2nd
Type of BR:  Modified.  I had to stop working and now I'm basically supposed to listen to my body and "take it easy" which, right now, means bed/couch punctuated by 10 minutes up to do things around the house here and there.
Since when: 8/21
Reason: Irritable Uterus and daily, strong and regular contractions which seem to be brought on by activity.

Name: Meg1031 (Megan)
EDD: October 31st, 2009
Type of BR:  Between modified to semi strict- I spend most of the day reclined in my recliner, lie down in bed once or twice a day for a bit, can go potty, shower daily (although that takes a lot out of me so I only do it every other day), and avoid going downstairs for anything.
Since when: 28 wks 4 days-Spent 5 1/2 days in hospital first
Reason: I went to local hospital with a "gut feeling" and a few more contractions than I had been having along with an aching like cramps and rectal pressure.  I had contractions every 4 minutes and a positive FFn with cervical shortening and funneling with some dilation.  Got transported to "mothership" hospital an hour away.  They switched the Mag to Nifedipine which I am tolerating "ok"- but still get really dizzy and weak a few times a day though BP is great- and the hot flashes are intense.  Got the betamethasone.

Name: FutureMrsPrestwood (Heather)
EDD:
October 10th (although dr. is saying now she won't let us go past 37 weeks so now its looking like we will have a September baby!)
Type:
Modified: no going out except for weekly hospital visits for NST and blood work and then another weekly visit with my OB. I'm allowed to "piddle" around the house (dr's words, not mine!) but am basically staying on the couch, off my feet 90% of my day.
Since:
8/17
Reason:
Elevated BP now has me diagnosed with gestational pre-hypertension. So far we are maintaing at an elevated (but not normal) BP with the hopes that it will not go up and we won't have to have strict bed rest or be admitted to the hospital.

Name: Manders127 (Amanda)
EDD:
October 18th (definitely won't make it that far, tentative c/s scheduled for 39 weeks due to breech and GD, hoping to make it til then!)
Type:
Hospital, but possibly going home tomorrow depending on US results, then will be modified at home.
Since:
8/21
Reason:
Oligohydramnios (low amniotic fluid).  Baby is tolerating it well though.. hoping to make it to full term

Name: Karmanmsw (Karman)
EDD: Oct. 23, 2009
Type of BR:  Modified, I can go the bathroom and take a 10 min shower once a day, and I can drive myself to the doctor once a week:)
Since when: 7/28/09
Reason:  I had pre-eclampsia with my first two pregnancies as well as post partum pre-e with my second.  My blood pressure started rising at 27 weeks so I was put on bedrest!  Our goal is to get to 34 weeks and then hopefully 37. 

Caitlin &Sean (Kate)
EDD
Oct 31st ( wont make it that far C-secion @ 37 weeks)
Type of bed rest 
Modified due to a Complete Placenta Previa with Light spotting @ 24 weeks. I can shower for 10 min each day and drive myself to the doctor 1x per week. Also diagnoised with borderline GD two weeks ago #s controlled by diet so far.
Since when
7/7/09

Name: brettszy (Brett)
EDD: Nov. 14th
Type of BR:  Strict, bathroom privileges, shower every few days
Since when: modified beginning Jun 15th (18 weeks)  strict starting July 13th (22 weeks)
Reason: Previous pre-term labor and delivery - had my son at 31 weeks, short cervix - has been as short as 0.97, current PTL

Name: egankn (Kelly)
EDD:  October 10th
Since when: 33.5 Weeks
Reason: High BP, headaches, dizziness, blurred vision (but so far not high protein in the urine)

Name: 2soontob3jsmomma
EDD: December 6
Type of Bedrest: Strict until delivery
Since when: Sept. 2 ------- 26 weeks and 3 days
Reason: pregnancy induced hypertension and hyperglycemia

Name: Felisha (fisha25)
EDD: 2/03/2010
Type of BR: Strict. Shower, bathroom, food, then back to bed.
Since when:  7/21/09 at 12 weeks
Reason:

Subchorionic hematoma found under my placenta at 7weeks. I bleed almost every day, normally fresh blood, but the clot isn't getting any smaller-only bigger. Dr. seems worried placenta abruption may be inevitable.  

Name: Kristy (go dux)
EDD: 10/16/09
Type of BR:
Modified bedrest
Since when:  9/4/09
Reason: Went into L&D after having continuous contractions while at work.  Contractions were coming every 3-4 minutes, not stopping after 2 doses of trebutaline (sp?) and another type of medicine.

Name: Amanda (allinduetime)
EDD: 11/19/2009
Type of BR:
modified
Reason:
  twin pregnancy and + FFN.  went into L&D with contractions every 3-5 mins apart, gave two doses of brethine which knocked them out.  sent up to floor for observation but 24 hours later contractions returned, so was kept another 48 hours and d/c home on bedrest and procardia.

Name: lowhedges Lydia, EXPECTING TRIPLETS!!!!
EDD: ?
Type of BR: ?
Since when: 9/2
Reason: shortening cervix.  I've been lurking as I was placed on b/r at 22 weeks for 1 week and then allowed to return to work for 2 weeks.

Name: kittenxkisses(Shea)
EDD:
10/21
Type:
Just released from hosp. sent home on strict BR with bathroom priv. & shower privleges EOD.
Since When: 
8/26 at 32 weeks
Reason
: Was in hospital for 2 weeks for PTL, shortening cervix, dilated to 1.5-2, + FFN. Put on magnesium for 2 days and got Steroid shots. Then got off mag and on trbutaline every 4 hours.

Name: Events by Shelly (Shelly)
EDD: 11/08 (Induction scheduled for 10/26...most likely will deliver between 10/8-10/15)
Type:
Modified BR, Allowed 15 mins of "up" time for every hour awake. all "up" time must be followed by 15 mins of horizontal rest. Strict Pelvic Rest. 1 round trip upstairs/downstairs, Can drive myself to pick up DD from school once daily (DH has to take her) and can drive to dr appts only.
Since When: 9/10

Reason
: Previous history of PTL, delivered DD at 34wks 5 days. Admitted to hospital on 9/8 for Contractions, dilated to 2, thinning of cervical wall, baby is head down & engaged, regular contractions at 3 mins apart. was in hospital for 1 day for monitoring, given Terbutaline to stop contractions and sent home on BR. Must go back to dr. twice weekly for monitoring, sono, FFN (weekly). Fingers crossed we make it to 35 weeks!!

Name: kiki408 - Kendra
EDD: 12/18, although we're just hoping to make it to November at this point.
Type: Strict hospital bedrest until 28 weeks (2more weeks)
Since When: 24 weeks ( I went home for a week, but was re-admitted)
Reason: Shortening cervix . 1.3 or so at the last measurement. No contractions; being monitored for the next few weeks, though.

Name: ewhite508 (Emily)
EDD: November 22, 2009
Type of BR:  Modified: House arrest, stay down stairs and keep my butt on the couch with my legs up or I'm grounded. Can go to Dr for appointments, but they send the visiting nurses to me.
Since when: 23w2d -- July 7th
Reason: Preterm labor and perpetual dehydration due to hyperemesis gravidarum.

Name: Erin (erinb31)
EDD:
10/28/09
Type of BR: Strict (up to use bathroom, get water, and shower-- taken to doctor's appointments)
Since when: 9/9/09 (33 weeks)
Reason: PT Labor: slight pink spotting, 3 cm dilated, 50% effaced, contractions (still having them 6-20 min. apart at home), positive fetal fibronectin

Name: luckywifey77 (Janessa)
EDD: November 4, 2009
Type of BR: Strict-only up to use the bathroom
Since when: 27 weeks (8/12)
Reason: Went in for an ultrasound and the doctor decided to check me b/c I was having a contraction while she was checking the fundal height and I was dilated to a 1.

Name: Etude de la vie
EDD:
 11/14/09
Type of BR: Strict ( bathroom, get water, and shower)
Since when: 9/08/09 (31 weeks)
Reason: Pre-term Labor symptoms currently on procardia 

Name: Brooke 208 (Brooke)
EDD:
10/29/09
Type of BR:  Strict for now, bathroom privileges and shower.
Since when: 9/7
Reason: I was having horrible leg pain and they kept diagnosing me with round ligament pain.  They finally did an ultrasound on my legs and discovered a blood clot that reaches from at least my groin to my knee, but could go higher.  They want to do surgery but can't because of the baby, they also cannot put a filter in either.  We're taking it one day at a time, and I am on 100mg of Lovenox twice a day until I deliver. 

Name: BrinaBfly (Sabrina)
EDD: 11/20/09
Type of BR: Modified, almost like Light Duty. I can shower, use the restroom, be up for no more than 30 minutes at a time, do light household chores like dust, and small loads of laundry.
Since when: 8/28/09
Reason: Bicornuate uterus and previous m/c. Since we are not sure how far my uterus will give we are taking precautions. Had to add GD to the mix a few weeks ago, joy.

Name: megan
EDD:  November 24th
Type of BR: modified, according to my dr, although I'm not quite sure where that falls...she said she basically wants me to be REALLY bored.  lots of reclining, short "errands" around the house (quick meals, etc.), leaving the house for the dr., childbirth classes...
Since when: September 10th, 29 wks2 days
Reason: was admitted to L & D on 9/10 with Braxton Hicks coming every 5 minutes.  Got a negative fFn test, urine showed ketones (lack of calories/dehydrated), and transvaginal u/s showed cervical funneling (dilation towards the uterus) although the external cervix is closed tightly, with 2cm of length.

Name:  Melissa
EDD:  January 1, 2010
Type of BR:  Modified.  I am under semi-house arrest and am supposed to sit or lay down most of the day.  However, I can move around the house at will.  I am not allowed to care for my 19 month old daughter by myself.  :(    On the brighter side, I am allowed 1 or 2 weekly excursions so long as I don't walk any sizable distance and sit down while out.  
Since when:  Early July
Reason:  My daughter (and only child) was born at 30.5 weeks.  The doctors suspect either a weak cervix or PTL (but maybe just stress and working too hard?).  I had a normal pregnancy until 26 weeks when I had a tiny bit of spotting.  That's when we discovered that I was 1.5 cm dilated and that my amniotic sac was "bulging" through the opening in my cervix.  I was hospitalized for 4 weeks before I delivered.  (That was strict bed rest laying upside down in a hospital bed.  I was only allowed out of bed for a shower every 3rd day...  and yes, that meant bedpans for a MONTH).  Thank goodness, those 4 weeks worked a miracle and my daughter didn't even need breathing treatments after her birth.  We were incredibly lucky.  

This time around the doctors are taking every possible precaution, since we don't know what happened last time.  I had a cerclage at 14 weeks, started progesterone shots at 17 weeks, and I've been on modified bed rest since July.  So far, everything looks good...so we our keeping our fingers crossed and hoping to make it all the way this time.  Only 1 more week until the point I was hospitalized during my last pregnancy.

Name: j.h.mommy (Jennifer)
EDD
: 11/16/09 (adjusted dd for twins), 12/7/09 (40 week dd)
Type of BR: strict,but at home. I can shower quickly, and get up to the bathroom and that's it. 
Since when
: Modified started around 8/3 and Strict started 9/10 Reason: Twin pregnancy with bicornuate uterus and cervical funneling. Having issues with ptl.

Name: Betsy
EDD:  October 25, 2009 but they aren't letting me go past 37 weeks.
Type of BR: Strict bed rest. Only allowed up to go to the bathroom and allowed one 5 minute shower a day. Nothing else. 
Since when: 34 weeks.
Reason: Preeclampsia and a headache that won't ease up. It's made me a ticking time bomb. So I'm on strict bed rest in hopes they can get me to 37 weeks so Ellies lungs have a chance to finish developing.

Re: ~~Bed Rest Mama's Wednesday Check In!~~

• Platelets remained the same yesterday and I have not heard yet what they are today. They come in at 4am to get my blood.... I guess this is so they can get the results very early and arrange for a c/s if necessary... but my breakfast showed up, so I am assuming all is well. They will tell me the levels at rounds... sometimes my nurse will tell me ahead of time. Head cold is still here.. Hopefully it is on the way out....

QOTD: How scared are you of labor or a c/section? What are your biggest fears for bringing baby home??

I am ok with the c/s cause I know what to expect. I am nervous about being on mag and being so out of it afterward. I am nervous about what will happen with Lauren and where she will be - since Ethan was in the NICU so I am unsure of how things will go this time around. I am also worried about MIL being overbearing and me cussing her out while I am still hopped up on some drugs. I recovered from my last c/s without a baby at home and my memories of recovery are not too bad... I am nervous about recovering with both Ethan and Lauren home... I worry that Ethan will be confused why I am there after being in the hospital for a month.... I worry that Lauren will be a difficult baby. Ethan was sooo good so I feel like I cannot get that lucky twice. But mostly I am so excited!!!

• Things are improving for me!  I have a Dr's appt today and I need to start getting ready................

As far as being afraid of delivering, I'm not.  I've done it twice before and I know it is something that I have to go through to get my baby here.  If it happens to be a c-section, so be it.  I've never had one before but this preg might be a possibility. 

No fears about bringing baby home, I just know things are going to change drastically with a baby girl in the house!  Right now it is DH and 2 DS ruling the roost.  But, I think she is going to take over.  LOL

• Loading the player...
  • I had some annoying and persistent contractions last night, but they have finally slowed to 1-2 an hour again.  This makes me happy!  Also, we're at 35 weeks today, which totally cheered me up.  2 weeks ago my doctors were acting like I was about to deliver, but LO is still baking where he is supposed to be!

QOTD:

I am nervous about delivering him because it is new, though I have had 2 "dress rehearsals" now so some of the mystery about the hospital, etc. are now clear.  I am definitely afraid of a c-section simply because I have never had surgery other than my wisdom teeth out, and I am scared of surgery in general.

As for bringing him home, I am a little nervous, because it is our first baby so DH and I have a lot to learn, but he and I make a great team, and I think we will do just fine.  I have a lot of family support from my parents, sisters, and aunts if I get overwhelmed or feel clueless-- which I am sure there will come a time when I will. 

I think I am less afraid of our parenting abilities than being afraid of not having time for each other-- DH is working full-time and going to grad school while I am going to stay at home for awhile.  I am just hoping DH does not have to take Saturday classes-- I would rather he be home late 1-2 times a week than not be around on the weekend.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't updated for a few days because I've just felt lousy!  I had to go in yesterday to be monitored because there has been decreased fetal movement and increased contractions.  Along with that has come increased pain.  I just haven't wanted to complain, because I know it can be worse.  Luckily, my doctor only threatened to monitor me in the hospital for now and I was able to come home yesterday.  I still have so much to do, though, and it seems like whenever I start making some headway I end up back in bed because I'm doubled over.  I finally managed to sleep some last night (contractions have been waking me up since Sunday) so maybe I'll have a better day today.

I'm not really scared of labor or a c/s... I've given birth 5 times vaginally and once via c/s so I'm pretty familiar with the process.  I do hate pain, though, and I worry that if I am able to do a VBAC it will be without anesthesia  because of either my heparin (no epi within 12 hours of a dose) or because I go too fast (that happenned with the last and I refused to push LOL).  I also worry that if I do get a c/s I'll have to have general anesthesia because of the heparin thing.  Also, in the back of my mind is always the fear of another placental abruptio.  I've had 3 of them with my first resulting in a stillborn so even though I'm being treated and monitored closely, I still worry about it.

As far as coming home with Bella, I don't worry too much about caring for her.  My worries are the "what if something happens" type.  You know, the paranoid type.  Sometimes being a PICU nurse is a very bad thing... I know way too much!  I am also trying not to worry about breastfeeding.  I had trouble with my others but I'm telling myself that this time it WILL work.  The only other thing that I worry about is that my dog will adjust.  She is my baby now and is very protective of me.  I'm hoping she'll switch loyalties to Bella.

• Hello!  Had a good appt yesterday - status quo on all fronts!  5 days left!

I am anxious about delivery.  This is my first and I am scared of the unknown.  I never made a birth plan as I would like to be open to all things and that way I won't be disappointed.  I feel educated enough on all the aspects.  I am nervous about not having enough energy/stamina with the new baby.  After being on strict bed rest for nine weeks - just walking from the parking lot to the Dr.'s office is tiring!

Yea for the steady platelets MrsJR!  Stick to your schedule :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Updates:  Going back in to the doctor today to have blood drawn after a 12 hour fast.  No fun.  I cheated and had coffee early this morning, but in my defense I am not going in until about 6pm so I think I'm in the clear.  They are checking out my itchiness problem... one test for some pregnancy condition and another to make sure I'm not reacting to the Lovenox.  Or something along those lines. 

QOTD:  Oh I could go on for hours about this one.  I wasn't scared at all before.  The last thing I wanted was a c-section because I had a vaginal birth with DS and everything went really well.  I planned on having an epidural just like I did with him and honestly I wasn't even thinking about it.

Now?  I'm scared to death.  I have nightmares about it actually :(  I would LOVE for them to just give me a c-section but I don't know what is going to happen.  They are talking induction and that is the LAST thing I want.  I'm afraid that labor will break off a piece of this clot and I'll die.  Morbid, yes, but I can't help it.  Especially pitocen contractions... that just doesn't sound safe to me!  They won't put a filter in and they are telling me that the clot is going to take months to dissolve.  I'm due in 5 weeks and they are talking induction in 3-4.  There is no way that this clot will be much smaller by then, as two weeks on blood thinners didn't change it one bit.  I also can't have an epidural.  Pitocen + blood clot + no epidural?  No thanks.  In my mind it seems like a c-section would be the safest route and they could put a filter in while they do it, as they would have to put me completely to sleep.  Or they could do the surgery they mentioned that would help open the veins/ remove the clot/ whatever.  I know there are risks no matter what but like I've said before I have to worry about my family too, including DS who needs a healthy mommy. 

• I'm terrified of having Ellie. Mainly of having to be induced before she's ready. But she is measuring ahead so It gives me hope she'll be ready to go when they induce me. There's even a good chance I could go on my own before then. I just want to have a healthy baby. 
    Name: Betsy
    EDD:  October 25, 2009 but they aren't letting me go past 37 weeks.
    Type of BR: Strict bed rest. Only allowed up to go to the bathroom and allowed one 5 minute shower a day. Nothing else. 
    Since when: 34 weeks.
    Reason: Preeclampsia and a headache that won't ease up. It's made me a ticking time bomb. So I'm on strict bed rest in hopes they can get me to 37 weeks so Ellies lungs have a chance to finish developing.
  • Not much new today.  A good friend of mine came over to visit and brought me the most adorable door hanger for the hospital as well as painted canvasses for the baby's room.  I will try and take some pics later and post them!  That lifted my spirits thinking about how in a short time my little guy will be here!!!  Health wise, not much new! 

QOTD:  Honestly, I am more nervous about staying pregnant than I am about delivery.  I have had two vaginal births that went pretty well so if I am able to have another vaginal delivery my only concern is having to have Mag during delivery!  That stuff is so yuk and I am hoping to avoid it! There is some concern that I may need a c-section cause my little guy is not so little.  Of course I am concerned about a c-section simply because I haven't had one before!  Also, after 10 weeks of bedrest I really want to get up and around as quick as possible! 

• Wicked lower back and hip pain last night that prevented me from sleeping. Other than that, just the normal stuff. baby seems to have slowed down so I'm trying to do kick counts.

QOTD: I am so ready for labor but I've been prepping for all labor and delivery scenairos for over 6 weeks so I'm resolved to do whatever I need to get the baby out safely and in the best health possible.

I'm also not really worried about bringing the baby home. I have a gut feeling that the baby will be high maintenance but since its our first, I won't know any better, lol.

• Just got back from the doctor. First time I drove a car in a month, it felt so weird. Everything is good still 2 cm and baby is doing well. My bed rest is less strict so I am making trips to the fridge and couch trying to get some strenght back so I am not blob when it's time to have the baby. Next wed. I come off turb. and then baby can come at any time!

I am very scared of a c/section because I have never had one and they are harder to recover from. We are shooting for a med free vag birth. Biggest fears of bringing her home will be how Sebastian will deal with it.

• QOTD: How scared are you of labor or a c/section? What are your biggest fears for bringing baby home??

I intend on being so drugged beyond belief that I don't feel anything at all. My OB and I made a deal that I can push with a full dose of Epi because otherwise I'll probably kill someone. (He knows me so well...) I did the natural route once and I'm so over that. Give me drugs or give me... no, just give me the drugs.

• imageEmilyK508:

I intend on being so drugged beyond belief that I don't feel anything at all. My OB and I made a deal that I can push with a full dose of Epi because otherwise I'll probably kill someone. (He knows me so well...) I did the natural route once and I'm so over that. Give me drugs or give me... no, just give me the drugs.

You made me laugh.... I think I would be the same way!!!

• Update:  Had appt today with midwife.  I left feeling frustrated.  There are 2 midwives there, and you see both throughout.  Both are great, really.  But one just seems to be more cautious (not that the other isn't), and I feel the other one knows me better.  Well, she wants me on the nifedipine for another week.  I thought I got to stop it on Saturday.  Nope.  And, she wants me to be more strict on my bedrest (modified) than what perinatology said I could do, but she didn't officially change anything.  

I was totally honest with all my activities- I mean by not being honest, it doesn't help me at all.  Today, I told her I had more going on than usual, which I knew would make me have more symptoms than I was having all week.  I know my body pretty damn well.  But really, the last few days I have felt awesome.  I hardly had any contractions, no pressure at all, and even my groin pain subsided for a couple days.  (thank god!)

She didn't want to check my cervix today since I had not had any pressure or regular contractions- wanting not to mess with a good thing.  

So- I am just frustrated.  More so because I thought I knew the plan, and now it has changed again.  I had a bunch of contractions this afternoon, and it was hard to get them settled down with all that we had going on, plus- I think I contract when I get stressed or worried.  Argh.  I love my providers- they are great.  But I wish the plan wouldn't change at this point.  Like I told DH- my plan had already been torpedoed.  Let's not blow up the other ones.

QOTD:

I am afraid of a few things.  One is pain.  I had such severe pain with DD and the epi didn't work- but thankfully the labor went fast.  I also don't want to be puking with every contraction.

I am very scared to have a c-section.  I hope it doesn't come to that point, but the thought petrifies me.  I am going to deliver at a smaller hospital like I did with DD.  I am fearful that if I have a c-section, there could be problems due to my didelphys.  I also have a low lying placenta- and since I work at that hospital, I know it can take a little longer to get blood if needed.  But- being close to home is important to me, and since I work there, it is nice to get some 'special' treatment.  I don't think I will need one, but I have said if baby turns upside down for some reason, and it is not an emergency situation and we schedule one- I would like my perinatologists to do it.  But in an emergency- I will let them do whatever they need to do to save baby and/or me.  

As a nurse- you know too much, and think about things too much. 

All I want is a healthy baby, a reasonably easy recovery, and more involvement in my labor process this time than being in so much pain.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"