Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Ear piercing

What is a good age to pierce my babys ears? I was thinking 3 months but my BF says its too early. I got mine done when I was 2.5 and I still remember it. I never had any problem with them getting infected or anything and my BF really doesnt have sensitive skin either. WWYD?

Re: Ear piercing

• I thought if you did it when they were babies, you were supposed to do it really young. Personally if I have a girl, she's going to have to wait until she's 10 or something. That way it will be something special.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are not piercing DDs ears (I don't like how babies look with earrings, but that is my personal opinion), I'll let her decide if she wants to when she is older and then it will be a special treat (example, my sister & I got to have our ears pierced when we stopped sucking our thumbs). But I'd maybe ask your pediatrician for recommendations on both age and a safe, clean place to have it done.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would talk to your pediatrician.  Some pedis will pierce baby's ears.  I know if I was going to get DD's ears pierced as a baby I would want a doctor to do it.  I've heard to wait until 6-7 months.

Personally, I am going to wait until DD is old enough to ask for them and handle the responsibility of taking care of them.

You still remember when you were 2.5?

• I'm waiting until DD asks too. BTW I used to pierce ears and my training consisted of reading 3 pages and practicing on a piece of foam. Something to consider...
  • imagemavilabride:
    I'm waiting until DD asks too. BTW I used to pierce ears and my training consisted of reading 3 pages and practicing on a piece of foam. Something to consider...

Yikes! Holy Crap!!

• I'd wait until she could ask for them. I think it's her right to decide if she wants it plus I don't like the way it looks on babies.

• Whatever!!!

Babies look TOTALLY cute with pierced ears. ?

Anyway, I did pierce my daughters ears (mine wear pierced when I was a baby, my sister's were, my cousin's were etc.) and the pediatrician's office pierced them when she was 2 months old. ?Yes, she cried, screamed actually, but then it was over, she got some breast to calm her down and she won't remember it. ?She also didn't touch them (which is the #1 reason how they get infected) because she was too young to. ?Some countries pierce the baby's ears before they leave the hospital and the babies are just fine, so there is no "right age" to do it at. ?

• imageDNK777:

I would talk to your pediatrician.  Some pedis will pierce baby's ears.  I know if I was going to get DD's ears pierced as a baby I would want a doctor to do it.  I've heard to wait until 6-7 months.

Personally, I am going to wait until DD is old enough to ask for them and handle the responsibility of taking care of them.

You still remember when you were 2.5?

I remember a lot of significant/tramatic parts of my early child hood. For example I remember my baby brothers 1st birthday party I was turning 3 in may and he was 1 in march. I even remember what I was wearing and going shopping for that outfit. Is that weird to have an early memory like that. I just assumed that everyone was the same. I guess not

• We had DD's done a few weeks ago.  She was 3 months old at the time.  We haven't had any problems with infection at all. 
  • We went Saturday to get DD's pierced. She cried, just like at her shots, & then was fine. She doesn't touch them at all. She doesn't mind when I clean them. Its like she doesn't know they are there! I was told they could do it at young as 2 months, as long as they have had their 1st shots. If you want to do it, go for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD got hers done last week at 10 weeks at the pedi's office. That is when her pedi recommended because she's too little to be aware of them, and too little to purposefully touch them. She was fine...she cried for about 2 min, then passed out. When we got home, she woke up and was her normal self. It's easy to taka care of too...just clean 1x day and turn them 2x day for 1 week and that's it! I'm glad I got them done...she looks super cute!!!
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageKflie83:

imagemavilabride:
    I'm waiting until DD asks too. BTW I used to pierce ears and my training consisted of reading 3 pages and practicing on a piece of foam. Something to consider...

Yikes! Holy Crap!!

If you think that's bad...in medical & PA school, we learned to suture (put stitches in) on pig's feet basically 1 or 2 times...then I did it a lot in the ER on random people!!! Now, in derm, I do it all the time, and my scars come back looking good (if I do say so myself ;))....but I really had no plastic sx type training! (only plastic surgeons do!)

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"